generator voltage regulator wiring question ; Amp gauge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all

I asked this question in the 40 section and everyone just tells me to get an alternator instead of answering it, hehe so i thought i ask here :D

Ok after a bit more sluething in my FSM, i noticed. what i think. is a incorrectly wired regulator

Above is the generator regulator form the FMS and mine.

On mine, the Blue and White wire leads and connects to the negative of the AMP gauge, and the red wire leads and eventually connects to the fuse box At 30 amp fuse etc. ( hot wire )

The blue and white amp gauge wire on mine should be connected to the A or AMP on the generator voltage regulator or the BAT side?

5317343483_fb8dcc557d_b.jpg

I also found an old point regulator in my box of old parts :D
Should i fix / clean adjust the old one or use a new type?

Is the AMP of the generator voltage regulator unregulated?
Or is it the field or F that is unregulated?

From the FJ25 factory literature thread and Jim's scan:

60Manual22.jpg

I ran a Chevy Truck voltage regulator when I had a working generator, think it was from a 1959 12V system. Looks the same as in your picture.

I second them though. Use a GM 3 wire alternator :D Mine works great!

Last edited:
From the FJ25 factory literature thread and Jim's scan:

60Manual22.jpg

I second them though. Use a GM 3 wire alternator :D Mine works great!

:D

That wiring diagram, to me, shows that the wire comes off the AMP part of the regulator and goes directly too the amp meter tooo :)

Oh just want to be sure :D

We will see if i can sort it, if not I might end up with an alternator like yours :D

Thanks Fox

I'm super un-familiar with the differences between generators and alternators. But my 69's Alternator has 3 wires going to it, a ground, field?(not sure what that does?) and the big thick wire that runs to the amp meter then onto the starter/battery (the big wire does not go to the regulator on my 69).
I don't know why your big wire runs through the regulator? Or if it needs to just sharing what I do know. Seems you could run a later style 3 connection regulator and run your main power straight to your amp meter but don't trust my word! I don't wanna wreck that ancient generator of yours! ;)

sorry was out of town this weekend :)

Talked to the shop, they are gonna pop in a new GM generator that looks identical to the old on, with a new grounded feild regualtor, puts out a solid 14 across the board on the bench, they are installing it tomorrow :D

Hopefully all is good.

The old generator armature was s*** and shorting and not working properly, a few of the brushes where disconnected even heh.

will post back tomorrow ;)

The 40 section gets a little annoying at times, ask a drum brake question you are told to put disc brakes on, ask steering question you are told to put power steering, 1f and recommendations come for a 2f. I wish I had the original 62 engine for mine with a generator.

The 40 section gets a little annoying at times, ask a drum brake question you are told to put disc brakes on, ask steering question you are told to put power steering, 1f and recommendations come for a 2f. I wish I had the original 62 engine for mine with a generator.
:lol

The old generator armature was **** and shorting and not working properly, a few of the brushes where disconnected even heh.

Destin,
don`t litter your old generator!!!!
Can be repaired by a shop with knowledge, ...believe me ;)

Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
hi jack of thread:

I have yet to find a shop that is knowledgeable and can get parts for an FJ25 generator. I have tried twice to have FJ25 generators fixed. Once it came back and worked for a month and then went up in smoke. So I sent it to another shop and never got it working again and the shop gave up after spending $400+ dollars on it.

If you know of a shop that will fix one, I have my last core to try and get rebuilt.

Look for an established shop in your area that has been there for years, old school, and still original owner. We have a local shop like that, and he has repaired any of our old car stuff--from '20's and '30's Ford, Chevy, and Packard to mid '60's of many types. First dealing with him was in 1971.

Look for an established shop in your area that has been there for years, old school, and still original owner. We have a local shop like that, and he has repaired any of our old car stuff--from '20's and '30's Ford, Chevy, and Packard to mid '60's of many types. First dealing with him was in 1971.

We had just such a shop just east of downtown Phoenix. When the light rail went in a few years back that shop closed up during constrution. I was at least able to get the brushes for the generator before they close. If I would have know this was going to happen I would have had them rebuild a couple for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom