1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gas tank sealing question

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by woodsfj40, May 8, 2003.

1. woodsfj40

woodsfj40

I just got started tonight taking the tranny and transfer case out of my 1968 FJ-40 so I can replace the clutch and convert over to manual shift (thanks again Stew) and I noticed that my gas tank has a very small leak. I have noticed a gas smell in the past and even though there has never been a puddle of gas, I see on the floor of the cruiser where the leak is.

I guess it is time to take the tank down to a radiator shop and have it cleaned out and sealed. Is there anything special that I need to tell them about what I am assuming is a tube inside the tank that draws the gas out? &nbsp:Do they just send a puff of air through it when they are done to make sure that it is not sealed also?

2. Pin_Head

Pin_Head

Radiator shops know what to do with it. They (should) boil it out, braze up the holes, seal it, paint it and pressure test it. My radiator guy charges $50 for a walk in job.

3. Eternal

Eternal

I just threw on the fiberglass and resin cost $4 and was out and in in 2 hours no problem since. But thats just cheap ass me.

Eternal-savin a penny