gas mileage for a 60/62?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I haven't had the chance to run my 60 on the highway yet, or on any roads for that matter, but I thought that they only ran 70-80mph only when revving to the redline. Forget gas mileage doing that, 6-8 mpg maybe? Am I wrong?

:beer:

i get 10-11 city and 15-16 highway (going 65.) she's in reasonable tune with stock tires and lovetoski's custom rack.

Last edited:
My 1986 Hj61 4.0 litre Turbo diesel with 5 speed manual gets approx 18 mpg around town/trails, and up to 26 mpg on highway.

US gallons are a bit smaller so 15-22mpg.

I have a larger than standard tank and get up to 1100 km's per tank (684 miles).
The car has done 495,000 km's (309,000 miles).

jpeg said:
i get 10-11 city and 15-16 highway (going 65.) she's in reasonable tune with stock tires and lovetoski's custom rack.

That's it for me too, with 31's. Can get 16-17 on Alcan highway at 55-60MPH.

My 88 gets about 17 - 18 on the highway around 65 - 68 mph, w 30x9.5s.

This 88 is newly tuned, tires always checked for air, no racks of any kind, absolute minimal cargo, and always coasts down/up the off-ramp. Meaning, it will likely never get better than what I'm getting today.................

Andrew

My last couple tanks on the FJ62 (31” tires) were about 16.5 mpg (US gal) without much city driving. Mostly 30 to 70 without a lot of stopping. I have gotten as high as 19 highway on stock tires and as low as under 8-10 on 33’s in winter with long warm up times. These numbers are corrected for tire size.

14.6 this weekend running 75-80 in my wife's 89 FJ-62, air cranked on "oh my God, it's hot out there"

Is it any better with a V8 pulling a 60

I don't know how many of you are running V8's in your FJ60/62 but My question is, Is the mileage any better with a small block pulling a 60 using the same driving habits? The 2F works great for an Fj40 but I think it's a little under powered for pulling 4700 lbs plus people, gear, dogs, beer and a bag O chips over a Mtn. Pass. Once your on the trail life is good. I smell blood. What do you guys and gals think? any V8'ers have anything to say on this?

My old V8 60 didn't get any better mileage...you really need a 5th gear or o/d unit....pulled great though....too many rpm at 70.

I just checked the mileage on our 88 fj62 today. Was having a problem with the converter not locking up and finaly got that fixed so I was curious what kind of mileage it would get with the converter going into lockup correctly. Vehicle is all stock except for 31x10.50 ProComp ATs mounted on stock wheels. Engine had recent tune up and Seafoam "black magic" treatment. Filled it up with gas this morning, drove it 83.4 miles to/from work (90% flat highway driving) and it took 4.817 gallons of gas at the same pump I filled up with in the morning. That's 17.3 MPG!

BTW, odometer read 77.2 miles driven and I corrected it by 8% for the tires. During the drive, I drove a marked 10 mile section and odometer clicked off 9.2 miles so I calculated a 8% error.

13.5 with the 2f. 220,000 miles on it. Flowmaster muffler(they say it helps a little) I just put a new air filter in and it made a huge diffrence.

Before I had the 1HZ put in my 2H was giving me around 26mpg.

I'm hoping for around 25+ with the 1HZ.

My experience has been that the newer model diesel engines make more power but use more fuel. Usually the 2H will get better mileage than the HZ and the H will get better than the 2H. I would bet on more like 20mpg US for the HZJ60 for everyday driving. Do you have extractors/headers on that thing?

Sounds crazy, but no matter what conditions I'm driving in, I seem to get 11.6 mpg. When I factor in the 33s, it 12 something. Can't wait til the rebuilt head is on there!

mileage

my 84 fj60 must be dialed in right because i'm consistantly getting 15 mpg with 31x10.5 mt's.

16ish on hwy....32's, stock gears, uncallibrated spedo, broken A/C.

i just filled up after a trip back from the beach, first time i put over 50 buck in any car!
it came to 10.85 mpg
hammer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom