gas mileage for a 60/62?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any idea what kind of mileage a stock 60 & 62 get?? I am on the road alot, and don't expect the world from one, but am curious before I make a decision.

Thanks in advance
Brian

most will get about 10 mpg but with my 62 with the fresh tuneup it just got Id say its gettin 13-14 mpg.

I'm getting about 11 city and 15 highway. I'm running 31" tires which kicks the revs down a little so maybe expect 14 with stock tires. I cruise at 70 mph and the highways are pretty flat around here in Michigan. My cruiser is in perfect tune also. I was only getting 13 mpg before the tune-up, desmog, and carb rebuild.

8 for a neglected cruiser in need of a tune up- up to 13/14 for one in perfect shape.

Side note. When my FZJ80 was pulling my 60 series home from Illinois it got 8 mpg. When not towing it got 8 mpg. Then I did a tune up. Now I'm getting about 13 mpg.

My FJ60 gets 11 on the streets but 13-14 on the hwy...15 if the wind is behind me. And that's for a truck with over 200k on it.

10 no matter what... not in good tune.

Sorry guys... you have to know that... anyway, you probably know...

My BJ60 make 20MPG... and with my injector rebuilt... about 25MPG ;) :D

Last edited:
Mine's moderatly tuned and won't idle below 900RPM anymore. I have 33's on it and get 15-17 mpg driving locally (mostly between 45-60 mph) and about 13-14 on the interstate. It's extremely consistant loaded or unloaded.

Chris

jjbodean1970 said:

12-13 no matter what. It used to be down at 10 no matter what before the electric fuel pump and jacobs.

TheGr8Doughboy said:
Mine's moderatly tuned and won't idle below 900RPM anymore. I have 33's on it and get 15-17 mpg driving locally (mostly between 45-60 mph) and about 13-14 on the interstate. It's extremely consistant loaded or unloaded.

Chris

How do you get better milage in town than on the interstate?

Used to get 15 on the highway in my 62 until the SO and larger tires. Now it is 11-12 no matter what I do. I am still running the factory 4.11 gears and it is a turd on anything with a slight incline, but I can still cruise at 80mph easily if it is flat. Where am I going with this? I get 11-12 mpg

Generally, I would expect to get slightly better mileage with the FJ60. I know that they FJ62 has injection and might be a slightly more efficient engine, but it also has an auto tranny and 4.10 gearing. FJ60s have a manual and 3.73 gearing. Slightly oversized tires will help.

I get about 15 highway - with the H55F overdrive and 31" tires.

Mike S

Around town is a lose term here. I have a 10 mile drive to get to town and cruising on the backroads at between 50-60 mph seems to be the sweet spot with factory gears and 33s. On the interstate pushing harder to get to 70-75 ESPICALLY with the mtns around here is hard on the gas mileage. O some climbs on the interstate I'm on the floor to keep the pig at 60 mph!

Chris

My disclaimer was I said "locally" not "around town" ;)

If I can ever get it out of the shop again...

:eek: Freshly tuned 88 FJ62 is ususally 15 MPG at 65-70 and 12-13 in stop and go commuting.

On my 88 FJ62 w/ 31" tires and roof rack, I get 10. 10 city, 10 highway, 10 wheelin. When I purchased it and brought it to FL from VA, it started at 10, but by my last fill up, was getting 14. I guess the 12 hours of running boosted the efficiency. Fastest I can push it is around 70, unless down a "hill", then I can hit 75, and that's with the accelerator to the floor. Have pretty much given up on my pie-in-the-sky dream of 15mpg. Sad thing is, my buddie's rangie gets 14.

Lzwo said:
... Fastest I can push it is around 70, unless down a "hill", then I can hit 75, and that's with the accelerator to the floor. Have pretty much given up on my pie-in-the-sky dream of 15mpg. Sad thing is, my buddie's rangie gets 14.

Holy crap! Are you running on all 6 cylinders. My 60 will run 70 pulling a 2500lb. trailer without even being on the floor. By herself I can run up to 80 pretty easy for short bursts but usually cruise at 70 mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom