Garrett turbo Q (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I've started reading everything i could find about turbos.

Concerning the manifold, i think i have 3 options. Flip the 3B manifold, get a 13BT manifold and i got yesterday a very good price for a Turboglide manifold. The size en orientation of the 13BT will not suit a Garrett unless i get the flange adapter i seen in a post. I've yet to ask bolt patern on the turbo gldie but the manifold has been done to fit a garrett T25. Now my question is, does a Chrysler lebaron come with a Garrett t25? if not what car would come with one.

My biggest customer is Detroit diesel Allison in Montreal, i'm going to check with them what turbo they could have. Also they have a huge dyno room (you should see this, then can dyno a bus, fire truck, even the one with the long stair case. I'm not even sure i could put my tinny LC on that dyno. Anyhow i know one mechanic there that can help me out. This place is diesel heaven, they are distributor for dertoit, volvo, mercedes, kubota, etc...all size engine racked up to the roof in there warehouse.

So i'm looking now for a turbo with intake A/R of about 0.42 and an exhaust A/R of about 0.48. hopefully that will fit a turbo glide manifold. If anyone know which factory car came with a GT25 i would be appreciated.

Eric,

The Dodge cars all used Garrett T3 turbos, so they will not work with your turboglide manifold. T25s in those ratios are very common, I see them all the time on Ebay for 100-150$. They are a little small for performance applications and end up getting swapped out often.

BTW - We met at the last Ottawa TNLCA meeting - I didn't know you were on here.

What is the source for the manifold? I was going to make my own but if it's reasonable I might get one too (I am also looking at a T25).

Edit: Cars that came with T25s - Most Saab turbos are Garrett T25 with the correct ratios.

Don't bother trying to specify an A/R for the compressor. It's a waste of time that'll cause you great headaches and make absolutely no difference to the turbo performance.

Nissans CA18DET engine (1.8L, 4cyl petrol) came with a T25, its 0.48 A/R turbine, 0.45 trim compressor. It's exactly what you want. I have run one on my 3.9L Isuzu, it's an excellent match. The 3B is slightly smaller but higher revving so again it's an excellent match.
Most ricer turbo shops should have bucket loads of these, they're usually swapped out for a T28 in search of more power.

Turboglide quoted me there manifold for 380AU so about 330 CDN, i though that was reasonable. I just need to find a T25. if i find one at reasonable price i'll buy it right away. Fromage if you want a manifold maybe we can get together to ship one from turbo glide. But before i buy the manifold i need the turbo!

Dougal, I'd rather find one in Canada first, before going through custom and all that crap...

Last edited:
Don't bother trying to specify an A/R for the compressor. It's a waste of time that'll cause you great headaches and make absolutely no difference to the turbo performance.

Nissans CA18DET engine (1.8L, 4cyl petrol) came with a T25, its 0.48 A/R turbine, 0.45 trim compressor. It's exactly what you want. I have run one on my 3.9L Isuzu, it's an excellent match. The 3B is slightly smaller but higher revving so again it's an excellent match.
Most ricer turbo shops should have bucket loads of these, they're usually swapped out for a T28 in search of more power.

If you genuinely think that matching the A/R of the exhaust housing to the displacement and rev pattern of the engine and then comparing across the turbo maps isn't worth it... you really don't have a god damned clue what a turbo can REALLY do to a motor.

I'm guessing you're one of those "don't intercool,waste of time" bunch as well?

We rolled an extra 200Nm of torque out of my 1HZ using 17psi of boost through a properly mapped turbo. That my boy is neck snapping performance in a LC.

You run your turbo at 17lbs boost? Do you have any tech info on your turbo?

My only concern is that some of these turbos dont producce boost until they hit the 2500 RPM range - that is too high I believe. SHouldnt they start producing boost around 1600-1900 RPM on the diesels?

If you genuinely think that matching the A/R of the exhaust housing to the displacement and rev pattern of the engine and then comparing across the turbo maps isn't worth it... you really don't have a god damned clue what a turbo can REALLY do to a motor.

ain't that the truth...

Is this turbo stuff explained well anywhere? I need to know so I dont ask dumb questions.

Nice price for a turbo exhasust manifold dude .. I hope I found that deal when I need it .. ( to late ! )

Matching a turbo it's much more .. I thought the boost it's the last think, flow rate it's the boos. Flow rate at desired rpm .. make a world of diference.

I guess then I could ask the question, does the turboglide kit (i.e. turbo, manifold, etc) match up well and perform well with the 2H engine? Does it kick in at low enough rpm, build suffiecent pressure, etc?
Thanks,
WInslow

Entaran.
Before you go all nasty on someone else's post, you should first check that you've read and understood it. Lest you come across as an arrogant fool.

Do you know which side of the turbo is the turbine and which side is the compressor?
I'll give you a big hint, the turbine is the hot side, the compressor is the cold side.

I specifically said in my post to not bother matching the compressor A/R. If you know anything about radial turbomachinery design then you'll know how little impact that has on the compressor map and why the manufacturers don't give you any choice in that matter.

My only concern is that some of these turbos dont producce boost until they hit the 2500 RPM range - that is too high I believe. SHouldnt they start producing boost around 1600-1900 RPM on the diesels?

A T25 with 0.48 turbine A/R (yes Entaran, that's TURBINE A/R, AKA the hot side) will give you some boost on a 3B by about 1500rpm.
You won't hit full boost until around 2000rpm.

The Nissan CA18DET was sold in the US, not sure about canada.

turbos produce boost by load NOT rpm. you can sit at a light and rev the Bjeebers out of the engine and get ittle or no boost but once the load comes on the boost goes up. if the turbo is mapped correctly then it will come on according to your driving style. i leave the mapping to the pros. i tell them the driving style i want, the HP output i want and the engine and they do the rest.

turbos produce boost by load NOT rpm. you can sit at a light and rev the Bjeebers out of the engine and get ittle or no boost but once the load comes on the boost goes up. if the turbo is mapped correctly then it will come on according to your driving style. i leave the mapping to the pros. i tell them the driving style i want, the HP output i want and the engine and they do the rest.

Thank you for stating the obvious.
But since you leave turbo setup "to the pros", do you have anything to add to this thread?

Turbos are driven by exhaust flow. That requires both engine speed and load. At full load there is a rpm where any given turbo will start to produce boost. That is what we have been talking about.

i leave the mapping to the pros since i do not understand the AR ratios and these people make a living khowing the intricacies of turbo application to the engines and driving style of my units.

most of the Kiwis i have met on line are knowledgable, friendly and helpful.

maybe you do know your stuff, maybe you don't so why don't you post up your real name and location (besides Kiwiland) so i can do a check on who you are?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom