FzJ80 rear wiper relay cross reference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to replace my rear wiper relay...for 1994 Land Cruiser. Does anyone know if there is a non oem replacement if so could you pls provide a cross reference.

Merci

Don't have an answer, are you referring to the box found in the rear hatch? Could you describe what your rear wiper is doing, just not working?

correct.... it is in the top end of the clam shell... 5 prong, 2.3"x2.3". Followed the instructions in my shop guide, it failed the second test of continuity. So hoping to find cheaper after market.

Could you describe what the rear wiper was doing, just not working or coming on by itself?

Rear wiper relay

My rear wiper works in "full on" mode but not in the intermittent mode -- one look at the relay in the back hatch reveals why. Two of the resistors are burned in half.

Replacement costs vary from $128 and $205. This looks like something I can fix by soldering replacement parts to the circuit board, however two items are so badly damaged that I can't see the markings (see picture). Might someone please yank theirs and tell me what the markings are on the two items circled in red in my photo? It may be that they are the same as the object circled in black in the same photo.

The relay is mounted on the left side of the rear hatch and will take ten minutes or less to get to -- two philips screws for the grab handle and then pop off the panel. Use a 10mm socket to remove the relay and then the cover slides right off.

Many thanks to anyone who is willing to do this!
LC wiper relay.jpg

Rear wiper relay fixed -- cheap~!

Thanks to anyone who was in the process of assisting, but I managed to fix it for about $2. Radio Shack part number 276-1101 gets you two silicon diodes. The iffy part was getting them oriented the proper direction, but examination of the remains of the old ones with a magnifying glass was apparently good enough. Interval wiper now works the way it should. Saved more than a few bucks.

Spectro:Could you discuss how you actually repaired the board, like did you have to repair any traces? Got photos?

Rear wiper relay fixed -- cheap~!

The fix turned out to be straightforward but the photos don't show much. The board had cracks in it from the heat. The foil traces on the other side were fairly intact except that the areas that received all the heat had come loose from the board. I unsoldered the old diodes and soldered in the new ones and then pooky'd up the cracks in the board with silicone goo. I wasn't 100% sure I had the right diodes (Radio Shack had a limited selection and the markings were not identical) and it was difficult to be sure I had them oriented in the proper direction but it worked properly right off the bat. Will it last? I guess that depends on whether the original event that caused the thing to overheat reoccurs (this happened before we bought the LC).

That looks worse than the main control board out of my washing machine when it got hit by a power spike. Glad you were able to get it working.

Hmm. I think that the repair would probably be better with higher-amp rated diodes. Mine died and I am going to put in diodes rated at 3 Amps.

Thanks for the tips!

Sincerely,

Muddy1

resurrecting an old thread
my rear wiper only works with the hatch up??????
can you guys help or has anyone had this problem?
thanks

How long has it been this way? And does it operate the same every single time since it started operating abnormally?

bought the vehicle in june so it was that way when i got it.
the wiper does the same thing everytime i open hatch it runs i close hatch it shuts off reopen and starts working again.
i thought that maybe there is a switch on the hatch that is reversed telling the wiper its closed when its actually open

If you don’t have a Toyota FSM getting one is the first step. None of us have a crystal ball.

It seems to me that you need to take a look at what’s going on with the wiring inside the hatch. This all begins in the ceiling at the upper left (driver) side corner where you will find two connectors above the headliner.

not yet its been low priority for now have a lot of other things that need attention none car related

Hey buddy, just wanted to post back that i got mine worked out today.
There is a wiring harness on the driver side underneath the headliner that connects all of the rear electronics. Ill give you a quick write up of what i did to figure mine out.

Check the ground on the rear wiper motor. If you take the plastic cover off that is over the motor, relay, door handle, etc; there is a 4 pin harness going into the motor that you can get to really easily. That white wire with black stripe is the ground wire (see pic: WiperNarness), use a multimeter and see if it has ground. if NOT then it is probably the ceiling harness.

Pull down the driver Cpilar (see pic) upper weather stripping, the 3 plastic buttons holding up the headliner, and the oh sh*t handle for the third row. That gives you enough to ease the headliner down enough to get to the harnesses. There are two harnesses in the ceiling, you are looking for the one that onhlyhas 3 wires in it. The other harness uses thicker gauged wire and is for the wiper relay and the rear defrost. If you look at the picture i titled "toast" you can see that the harness is totally burnt up. I dont know what caused it but the fuse would blow if it something got to toasty back there. I cut the harness out and spliced it all together with butt splices. Did that today and everything in the back works perfect now. My tail light is back to full strength and the rear dome light works now. Just as a reference point, the three wires in that loom are as follows:
white-black stripe - ground for upper tail light, wiper motor, window defroster
Red-white stripe - loopback ground for the rear dome light. COmes on when you open the rear hatch
Green-white stripe - 12v+ for the 3rd light.

Hope this info helps someone out there

C-Pilar.jpg

Toast.jpg

WiperHarness.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom