FzJ80 rear wiper relay cross reference

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by willieboat, Mar 3, 2011.

1. willieboat

willieboat

Looking to replace my rear wiper relay...for 1994 Land Cruiser. Does anyone know if there is a non oem replacement if so could you pls provide a cross reference.

Merci

2. Kernal

Kernal

Don't have an answer, are you referring to the box found in the rear hatch? Could you describe what your rear wiper is doing, just not working?

3. willieboat

willieboat

correct.... it is in the top end of the clam shell... 5 prong, 2.3"x2.3". Followed the instructions in my shop guide, it failed the second test of continuity. So hoping to find cheaper after market.

4. Kernal

Kernal

Could you describe what the rear wiper was doing, just not working or coming on by itself?

5. willieboat

willieboat

not a thing. when i turn the switch on it doesnt move

6. pkelly72

pkelly72

Have you found anything that works yet. I have the same problem in my 94 LC.

7. Spectro

Spectro

Rear wiper relay

My rear wiper works in "full on" mode but not in the intermittent mode -- one look at the relay in the back hatch reveals why. Two of the resistors are burned in half.

Replacement costs vary from $128 and $205. This looks like something I can fix by soldering replacement parts to the circuit board, however two items are so badly damaged that I can't see the markings (see picture). Might someone please yank theirs and tell me what the markings are on the two items circled in red in my photo? It may be that they are the same as the object circled in black in the same photo.

The relay is mounted on the left side of the rear hatch and will take ten minutes or less to get to -- two philips screws for the grab handle and then pop off the panel. Use a 10mm socket to remove the relay and then the cover slides right off.

Many thanks to anyone who is willing to do this!
    LC wiper relay.jpg

8. Spectro

Spectro

Rear wiper relay fixed -- cheap~!

Thanks to anyone who was in the process of assisting, but I managed to fix it for about $2. Radio Shack part number 276-1101 gets you two silicon diodes. The iffy part was getting them oriented the proper direction, but examination of the remains of the old ones with a magnifying glass was apparently good enough. Interval wiper now works the way it should. Saved more than a few bucks.

9. Kernal

Kernal

Spectro:Could you discuss how you actually repaired the board, like did you have to repair any traces? Got photos?

10. Spectro

Spectro

Rear wiper relay fixed -- cheap~!

The fix turned out to be straightforward but the photos don't show much. The board had cracks in it from the heat. The foil traces on the other side were fairly intact except that the areas that received all the heat had come loose from the board. I unsoldered the old diodes and soldered in the new ones and then pooky'd up the cracks in the board with silicone goo. I wasn't 100% sure I had the right diodes (Radio Shack had a limited selection and the markings were not identical) and it was difficult to be sure I had them oriented in the proper direction but it worked properly right off the bat. Will it last? I guess that depends on whether the original event that caused the thing to overheat reoccurs (this happened before we bought the LC).

11. Kernal

Kernal

That looks worse than the main control board out of my washing machine when it got hit by a power spike. Glad you were able to get it working.

12. Muddy1

Muddy1

Hmm. I think that the repair would probably be better with higher-amp rated diodes. Mine died and I am going to put in diodes rated at 3 Amps.

Thanks for the tips!

Sincerely,

Muddy1