FZJ80 Head Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=Rogue link=board=2;threadid=4533;start=msg34266#msg34266 date=1061602784]
As long as I have my trusty paperclip on board I never worry about the OBDII garbage. :flipoff2: Shhh... Don't tell anybody here at BYU that I used that smiley. :D
[/quote]

Yes, but the OBDII has a ton more error codes and it is a lot easier to pinpoint the problem? Other than just a EGR code. Is it too much, to little :D

[quote author=coachconverter link=board=2;threadid=4533;start=msg34033#msg34033 date=1061564885]

As far as price, heres the poop. I've acquired an extremely low mileage head that I can swap out, but the mechanic I talked to told me $1200 in labor just to bolt on the new head or swap the gasket if that's all it needed. Beyond that, it's 250 for gasket set and 250 for head bolts, which I'm told cannot be reused, they are "stretch bolts"
[/quote]

Ok, we get 14 hours to do a head gsaket. Then there is the gasket set, that is about $250 or so. Then the rest of the parts. Catch is, if you pull the head and the truck was running like that for a while, you are probably not going to like what you see.

A head job is about $400/$600 depending on what needs to be done to it.

Then there is the possible damage to the bottom end. Also a good time to look at the injectors. About $30 a piece to have them cleaned. Then at the same time all the tune-up parts as well.

Then the next thing is the reason it blew is probably in the cooling system. So the radiator needs to be checked and cleaned or replaced. Possible at this mileage the fan clutch is also shot.

So a good deal turns sour pretty quick. If this is a truck you want to keep, do it right, otherwise you will do it again.

Also, as mentioned fuel filter.

We have recently done a SC on a 93 truck. We did warn the owner that he might have to spend more money because the truck will most likely run lean. We found that the fuel pump is on it's last legs. It can not even maintain the operating pressure when driving.

We are starting to think that in a lot of cases with burnt pistons and/or headgaskets due to overheating fuel delivery might be a contributing factor. This truck ran fan before it came in, but with the addition of the SC it wants more fuel. The pump can not deliver. The only way that we could even get it to run with the SC is to bypass the hi/low relay for the fuel pump. We had to give it full current to make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom