FZJ80 factory lockers question(s) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Front lockers won’t engage.

Rear lockers stick ON.
And while they are not hard to engage, the light still blinks.
Their off now, but it takes a while with going back, forth and around to get them to turn off.

ABS light won’t turn OFF.
They have been on since I last wheeled it.

Center locker if fine.

So I have some work to do there and I started on it. I jacked up the front, had it in park with the rear tires still on the ground to take a look. Should I still be able to spin the front tires full revolutions? I thought they don’t spin freely like that because of the “Full-Time 4WD”? The wheels spin opposite of each other as I easily spin one side. I know my first gen can spin the front with the rears on the ground but that has locking hubs and 80s don’t...

Rear sounds like either the actuator itself or the indicator in the actuator is stuck.

It's an insanely over complicated system. There is a switch inside the actuator that sends a signal to the computer that the rear is locked, allowing the front to engage. This, however, is a separate switch than the one used to light up your dash light. I would pull your dash light indicator (it's external on the bottom of the diff, if it's like mine it's been smashed for years by rocks), and visually check for engagement of the rear diff lock there first. You should be able to see and feel it engage. I can snap a pic of it if you need.

Thanks guys, I knew that the two of you could get me in the right direction.
All three lockers make a solid sound of them engaging when selected. I will pull the indicators to check for full movement.

Selectable lockers....:bang:

X2 on the joy and auto locker brings.
We've had this argument/conversation before

True, but I'm a jerk and like to rub it in. However, in Scott's situation I would also be running what momma Toyota gave me.

Mine worked evreytime, and I actually kind of miss them.

Here in the tacoma world, its blasphemy to install any locker but an ARB.

The taco world is gay, brah-gay.

Very much! Its the land of roof top tents, led light bars and if you drive to the trails and camp over night you are now on an "expo".

That reads like a best locker thread on a tacoma board. Except all the cable locker talk would be replaced with more arb talk and stories of 8" elocker rears blowing up in wal mart parking lots with 28" tires... Also sprinkled in are pics of waxed up trucks flexing on a basketball size rock with all their aux lights on as proof that arbs are the best and auto lockers are for cheap ass newbs.

Oh and their arbs were setup by an engineer from arb flown in from Perth.

Not yet, I worked on my 4Runner's starter. Thanks again Joe. I ended up rebuilding the stock starter and now all is well.
Now I can look into the lockers on the 80. Unless I get side tracked into throwing in a lunchbox into the 4Runner, which Geoff has inspired me to do.

Spartan locker scott!!

I second the lunch box locker.
I do also like the spartan.
And the lock rite.
Not a fan of the aussie.

I run Spartan in both my diffs.

I bought my aussie used, in curious to see what all the hype around them is. It looks exactly like a lock rite, maybe because kangaroos??

I have always wondered what the difference is as well. I have played with a detroit ez-locker and lockrites and they are the same design. The new kid on the block always gets internet fan boys... until enough poeple have them and the few that break start to steer the conversation. Thats my take on lockrite. They probably have the most lunch boxs out there in the world so their 5% fail rate is louder than aussies 5% or spartans 5%... I have been beating on lockrites in 4 cyl carriers and v6 carriers for 13+ years. They have seen water and a plenty of blown ring and pinions and they have been flawless.

Oh, plus anything the land of roo-fxxxers automatically gets points for some reason. Especially with Toyota dorks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom