fzj80 Drive belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fzj80 drive belts replacement

Ok, so I looked through the Chiltons manual and read through the threads here on mud.

First off I am a noobie when it comes to Cruisers and just an amateur shade tree mechanic.

So I had my belts and went to work. Removed the small skid plate. Attempted to loosen the tensioner pully under the AC unit. See pic 1.

http://flic.kr/p/fHBtSG

Nowhere did I read to loosen the pulley bolt itself. I figured this out the hard way. Once I got it loose I was able to remove the belt.

http://flic.kr/p/fHBo71

On to the other two. I had to loosen the mounting bolt on top of the alternator. Again nowhere did I read this. See pic 2. Then loosen the tensioner.

Sorry for the pic links. Pic attachment quota filled and couldn't figure out how to upload from url. If anyone knows how please let me know. Thanks

I can't believe you guys let beno get away with a comment like this on post#2: "I'm a small dude, so all of my bits fit everywhere." That made me laugh.
Anyways, I'm a new FZJ80 owner and will be working on my belts this weekend. Thanks for the old thread still being useful ... and funny.

I can't believe you guys let beno get away with a comment like this on post#2: "I'm a small dude, so all of my bits fit everywhere." That made me laugh. Anyways, I'm a new FZJ80 owner and will be working on my belts this weekend. Thanks for the old thread still being useful ... and funny.

Forget about my hands!

I can't believe that people are still referencing this thread!

Just imagine old beno as a university adjunct when this thread started...

Far out indeed.

:cheers:

And add another user referencing this thread! I'll be doing the belt swap this weekend. I'm hoping it does the trick as it did for another user. I've got a silly knocking sound under the hood at idle and increased rpms.

It was not an OEM block heater and I quickly sold it as I moved to New Mexico and did not need a block heater.

Sorry.

1 put a14mil short well socket on the a/c tensioner, loosen.
2 with an extension and 12mil go through the access hole in skid plate. Removal unnecessary.
3 remove belt.
4 loosen lower bolt on alt (above idler) 97-12mil and short extension.
5 loosen 14mil (deep well) on top of alt.
6 loosen alt slide bolt 12mil (ratcheting wrench preferred)
remove belts.
Added note I've found the alt belts go on the idler smoother when massaging them from 5 O'clock to 12 on the idler.... I.E. from bottom to top rather than right to left.

1 put a14mil short well socket on the a/c tensioner, loosen.
2 with an extension and 12mil go through the access hole in skid plate. Removal unnecessary.
3 remove belt.
4 loosen lower bolt on alt (above idler) 97-12mil and short extension.
5 loosen 14mil (deep well) on top of alt.
6 loosen alt slide bolt 12mil (ratcheting wrench preferred)
remove belts.
Added note I've found the alt belts go on the idler smoother when massaging them from 5 O'clock to 12 on the idler.... I.E. from bottom to top rather than right to left.

The beer part is perfect...........;)

I don't think you need to remove the battery and tray but it does open it up and make it easier to muck around in there.

Kind of agree, but whatever works for you. But, I thought the A/C belt only went over the compressor, tensioner, and crank pulley, so it falls right off without going over the fan? :deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom