full body paint-jobs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I called a couple of paint shops on getting my 80 painted -- some day I actually will --

-- quotes ranged from $2,500 to $6,000 -- WTF! :eek: :eek: :eek:

This was with a wet-sand of the clear-coat then a painting of the body, door-jams, hatch, under hood -- the interior would also be yanked for the process --

-- my green is in great condition -- and I would switch to white probably -- though I do like Christo's yellow --

-- who knows, this cash could probably be much better spent on hardware though -- :D

eric ::)

$2500 doesnt sound bad :D
just to change colors though? think id be buying hardware instead, or trade yours in for a white one if thats what your wanting.

going to have to paint mine someday as the clearcoat is worn off on top, probably from being from texas originally.
not really looking forward to spending the money, luckily my father-in-law has the tools and ability, think he said hell do it for 1200 or so :D

Why paint ???. If there is no rust to hide when you try to rip someone off by painting over a rusted or bondoed car, painting only devalues your vehicle :mad:. Especially a colour change :'(. Spend the cash on mods!!!! :D, yer just wastin it on paint.
Sean

Eric,
Swing by my shack in the near future dude. I'll hook you up. I got a deal a huge multicase of rattlecans. We'll get it done in no time dude. :eek: :D :flipoff2:

A well done re-finish, same color, basecoat/clearcoat will run AT LEAST 4 Grand. If you get a bid less than that, you will not get a good job and you will be miserable. I had acid rain damage on mine and clearcoat failure because of it. I had it refinished by one of my body shop customers. He had it for three and a half weeks and it ran just over 4 grand. I de-trimmed it before hand and he gave it back to me in pieces and I re-assembled it. If I had handed it to him in one piece it would have added at least a thousand bucks to the bill. You can't tell it has been re-finished.

damn -- thanks, all, for these responses -- looks like i won't be getting a pink paint job too soon...!

eric

This thread couldn't come at a better time...

See, the wife got hit by flying yellow paint and in the process of trying to remove said paint, rubbed nice polka-dots through the clear-coat...

Needless to say, the insurance is going to pay for it all and the body shop (MY body shop, not the insurance body shop) says it needs a full re-spray to be 'right' again. Their original estimate was $3500 but that was when I was paying and it was a friend-of-the-shop discount. Full price is going to be more like $5k. Wow...

It's like 3 weeks without the truck as well but I guess for a new paint job it could be worse! My issue with the whole thing right now is that ifin I wanted a check, the adjuster would only issue $2700 so I figure I may as well go for the re-paint.

BTW - a person can be smart, but PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!

damn -- is it champagne color?? aren't all 40ths? are you getting it re-painted, or just cleared? are they going to wet-sand the clear-coat only?

just be glad you're not the person trying to paint the roof!

eric

Eric,

In my opinion, to be done correctly, the base color should also be shot. 40th's also came in 6M1 emerld green pearl (a stunningly handsome color ::) ).

Tio,

be sure that they pull the flares and lights and mouldings and windshield and backglass and door handles and mirrors and emblems and roof rack. That way you will get a first class job. When they did mine they also removed the lower tailgate and painted that off of the vehicle so that it would "look right" in the area where the upper and lower gates overlap.

whoa, dan -- quite the endeavor --

-- not worth it overall, especially just for aesthetics --

THANKS!!

eric

Eric,

I'm just picky. I can't STAND masking lines. It makes me want to yak in a waste basket when I see them. ::)
They stand out like a sore thumb and scream "REPAINT" at me........ :p

Christo, correct me if I'm wrong. The 3k you spent was just for the paintwork and you did all of the de-trimming. Correct?
I bet if you took them a whole vehicle it would have been nearly double that.

not to sounds like a patsy, but what color was your interior? did it match up?

that is a perfect approach to a paint job -- great result!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom