Fuel pump for gen III vortec TBI (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
New to the forum, super stoked to have a 60. I posted in the registry, assume that's the first step. I did a bunch of searching and couldn't find anything. I'm trying to figure out what I need for the above stated engine. It came to me with an incredibly loud Holley fuel pump. Looking for something quieter.

Look for a thread called V8 Theorycraft that I started... There is a spreadsheet with tons of information in it along with the info in the thread.
Question though is what year engine you have... Do you have an L31 (first gen Vortec) engine or do you have a newer Gen III vortec. There is a large difference between the two. First gen Vortec (L31) are 5.7L or 5.0L engines depending on what they came out of.... GEN II+ LS type engines are either 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L (with some new 6.2L in things like Denali and what not). So again what is the year of vehicle your engine came out of.

Look for a thread called V8 Theorycraft that I started... There is a spreadsheet with tons of information in it along with the info in the thread.
Question though is what year engine you have... Do you have an L31 (first gen Vortec) engine or do you have a newer Gen III vortec. There is a large difference between the two. First gen Vortec (L31) are 5.7L or 5.0L engines depending on what they came out of.... GEN II+ LS type engines are either 4.8L, 5.3L or 6.0L (with some new 6.2L in things like Denali and what not). So again what is the year of vehicle your engine came out of.
That is a good question, all I know is gen III 5.7. I'm pretty green to all this, but am commited to learning. Next stop V8 Theorycraft, Thanks!

Ok then if you are a 5.7 you are either a TBI setup or the First gen Vortec (which is still somewhat TBI from what I gather). Take some pics of your engine as that should help determine what is going on.

Ha! I called the previous owner, first gen vortec 5.7, TBI. I was told by a mechanic, whom I won't be using anymore, that I had a gen III vortec TBI. Apparently there's no such thing.

TBI is old school Fuel Injection for GM. 1992 era fuel injection as I recall. If you post a picture of intake on the engine someone here can certainly confirm its a TBI engine. TBI enginues used less fuel pressure than modern fuel injected setups. I like walbro brand fuel pumps. I assume you are talking about an external fuel pump.

TBI for GM v8's only came in 5.7 configuration, similar setup came out for 4.3 v6 too.

IMG_1151 (1).JPG

IMG_1150 (1).JPG
Do these show up, kinda feeling a little computer illiterate too now.

Don't believe that is a first gen vortec (L31). From my research the first gen vortec actually have the injection ports for the intake moved almost all the way forward on the intake manifold itself.
That is a true TBI engine which is probably up to 94ish or older? Main basis of my conclusion, not even close to a professional, is based on the fact that the radiator inlet from the intake is at the very front just like a 5.7L SBC 350 and the lack of any sensors on the intake itself (from what I can see).

Now to add more complexity to it, it could be a built engine that the PO put Vortec HEADS on the body and did some extra tuning with an aftermarket intake of some sort.

@shannons can you remove the air cleaner and take some more pictures of the intake manifold. Pay close attention to what is actually under the air cleaner for the pictures to as that should be pretty tell-tale.

99% sure that it is an SBC 350 TBI engine.
Here is a pic of a 1997 First Gen Vortec engine... note the location of the AC Compressor.
55836506.jpg

X2 on the Walbro. It's much more quiet than the Airtex that it replaced.

Thanks guys!! I'm reading your "theorycraft", guessing I'm not to the fuel pump part yet or missed it. Quite a bit of info there, I'm learning a ton. Seems I could just start at thread 1 post 1 in the 60 series and read forever, a lot of knowledge here.

Thanks guys!! I'm reading your "theorycraft", guessing I'm not to the fuel pump part yet or missed it. Quite a bit of info there, I'm learning a ton. Seems I could just start at thread 1 post 1 in the 60 series and read forever, a lot of knowledge here.

LOL... yeah fuel delivery is down a ways in the thread as people commented in between as i was building sections.
Lots and LOTS of knowledge here for whatever you want. Many of the guys have gone through similar stuff, hell i started out knowledge next to nothing about vehicles other than oil changes and brakes. Have since learned a whole lot from the great folks here, we are a very tight knit community and always will to help if you are willing to put in the effort.

Get on the summit web site, look at external fuel pumps, I'm sure they likely have a walbro pump that works on a 5.7 TBI. I would not get caught up on all the first gen or 2nd generations references. A 5.7 TBI engine will use a pump rated for a certain pressure level. These are not just plug and play installs.....you will likely need some other parts etc. Yes you have a 5.7 TBI from the pics, should be very easy to find a pump for that. Call the help line at summit....I'm sure they can recommend the right walbro for your engine. I bought two pumps from them not long ago...walbro (for spares). TBI is a very dependable engine and easy to work on.... not the greatest on power but good enough.

Got the Walbro pump and installation kit in the mail today. Installed. Wow, what a difference in sound! Thanks again, all. -Shannon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom