Fuel mix for my new Stihl blower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KLF

Frame waxer
SILVER Star
Threads
Got tired of yanking my brains out with my POS Craftsman leaf blower, went down yesterday and bought a new Stihl blower with the EasyStart system on it, sooo much easier. The old blower (and my POS Craftsman string trimmer) run on 40:1 mix, so I have a jug in the shed dedicated to that. My old (but really nice) Jonsered chainsaw runs at 32:1, so I have another small jug for that. Then I have my lawnmower & snowblower that run on regular gas, so another jug.

The Stihl is supposed to run at 50:1. Would it hurt it to run the gallon or so of 40:1 mix thru it that I have now? I really don't want a 4th fuel jug in the shed. I'm planning to put the blower and trimmer on craiglist now, get rid of them, and get a new Stihl trimmer in the Spring.

I'll never buy another piece of power equipment from Sears.

No, it will smoke a little more and could load up the plug. Stihl used to use a heavier oil mixture during break in about 15 years ago. Unless something different is written in the manual, there is no longer a break in required.

Just put the mix in the lawnmower and burn it up, if you have no other way to dispose of it. Get a fresh gallon of gas and some stihl mix oil, with the proper additives.

After a few uses the blower may need a little bit of carb adjustment also, if it doesn't idle, or is a little bit hard to start etc..

Guys on the FD always mess up starting the Stihl equipment that we use. The best thing I can tell you about startinig is prime, (if so equipped), full choke, once the motor stumbles for just a second immediately turn off the choke and start if up. IF you don't turn off the choke at the first pop/stumble of the motor, they will flood, espescially the larger stihl motors. (Large Cut off Saws, and larger chainsaws.)

In the book is the carb settings for return back to OEM spec. if the dealer will do it for free, let them do it. It only takes a few minutes.

Using STIHL 50:1 oil you should be able to run it in your Jonsered chain saw. It may require a minimal carb adjsutment.

Old STIHL's and almost everything else on the market in the 1960's was 16:1. 1 quart of 30w in 5 gallons of gas.

In the 1970's the mechanical technolligy of the motors began improving. The two cycle oil was also formulated. Most ran 25:1 and some ran 32:1.

In the 1980's the mechanical technolligy of the motors began improving and leaped forward. The two cycle oil was re-formulated with bright stock, nuetral stock, shiny stock low ash compounds, etc. Most manufacturers ran 50:1.

The 50:1 oil can be used in the older units but you make have to adjsut the carburetor.

I have a 1969 030 chains saw that runs on 50:1, no problems.

Running a heavier mix in your newer equipment can cause major damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom