Fuel issue maybe. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was running fine until it wasn't. Truck is a 1990 4x4 pickup, 22re. 410k kilometres on most of the truck. Rebuilt engine 10k kilometres ago. Had to be towed home today. Not in a safe place to stop and troubleshoot. Engine runs, but won't idle consistently. Starts hard. Will generally try to stall if I drop the clutch. (clutch is new) no consistent revving if I give it gas. Will die or idle at 300 rpm if I hit the accelerator. Battery is good. Does not seem electrical, but I just got home. I will check the FP with the check connector this week. Fuel filter is less than 10k old. Seems like fuel pump is dead or dying but let me know your ideas.
No cel but I pulled fuses to look at them in my spare time beside the road.

Two other places to look are the throttle position sensor (TPS), and the air flow meter (AFM). Though, I think you are on the right track with the fuel pump.

Might also be the dreaded "broken injector wires inside the engine harness" problem.

Thanks all. I don't think all 4 injector wires would fail at once? The TPS is less than 2 years old from Toyota. I have a spare MAFS I can try. I'm about to go out and try jumping the check connector for the fuel pump. Fuel pump is the leading suspect because it is the third version of an unknown after market brand that was installed when it failed in mid-winter 700 ks from home. Original was pulled after a mis-diagnosis by a "professional" mechanic. I still have it and 2 other Toyota pumps. I have been postponing re-replacing it. I assume the pumps can be checked with a multimeter before I re-install. should be in the FSM?

Jumpered the b and fp in the check connector. Fuel pump seems to work, with steady humming noise. Seems to be fuel pressure at the fuel filter intake. Truck will start and run, with erratic swings with steady pressure on the accelerator. Engine will generally die if I push on the gas. That was all I got to tonight. Will look at Mafs and TPS tomorrow or Wednesday.

It could be the injectors, as Toyota crimped them, and if it fails far enough down the line it'll take out all four. When I have my harness out I took people advice and soldered all the connections together.

Might also be the dreaded "broken injector wires inside the engine harness" problem.

It could be the injectors, as Toyota crimped them, and if it fails far enough down the line it'll take out all four. When I have my harness out I took people advice and soldered all the connections together.

So, what folks are talking about is the engine harness. Inside the loom is a bunch of crimped connectors. Those crimps, over time, get corroded and fail. All four grounds from the injectors go through at least three crimps. Your injectors are wired 1+2, and 3+4 (IIRC). Those crimps can also fail, taking out two cylinders at once. The solution is remove the harness from the engine and computer, lay it out on the floor, peal back all the tape ... and solder and shrink tube those bad boys. While at it you might want to replace the fuel injector connectors (available at NAPA). Here is a pic of my work fixing this headache.
IMGP5310.JPG

Yikes. Any way to zero in on this problem before I start taking the harness apart? Other symptoms or indications? Are the injectors all grounded at the same point somewhere, like that ground on the intake?

Ya, replace the pump. I'm willing to bet that is your problem.

Pappy, are those all the crimps from the injectors back? It's a bit hard to tell the distance from the photo. 3 feet? I can pull the harness somewhat, but all this takes place in the street, which complicates things.

It's definitely easier to replace pump (needs to be returned to OEM anyway), Mafs, TPS, before I go digging too far into the harness.

Last edited:
There's an even easier way to check the connectors, rent a noid light kit from O'reilly or something like them and you put it in the injector and it'll blink when the injector is firing. Also, if you get the fuel injector connectors mixed up don't worry about it. 22re's are a batch fire, which means all injectors fire at the same time.

Dropping the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump. Broke 5 of 6 bolts that hold tank on. All 7 of the little 8mm bolts that hold the fuel pump in place are also broken. Not surprisingly. Does anyone know if the collar that the little bolts thread into is removable? The little bolts look nearly impossible to drill out. At this point it looks easier to get another tank.

No, it's all part of the tank. Kind of a dumb design. It's a flange, perhaps you can just drill them out and put a new nut under the flange. #8 stainless screws and nuts?

Damn. It looks pretty tricky to drill out, but I will try. Tank from Toyota will be expensive. Low range has one if drilling doesn't work.

Damn. It looks pretty tricky to drill out, but I will try. Tank from Toyota will be expensive. Low range has one if drilling doesn't work.

That sucks. Being in the desert I am so glad I don't have to deal with that kind of stuff. All of my tank bolts and fuel pump bolts came right out with my fingers! After I broke them loose of course! :)

Amazon sells fuel tanks, not too bad.

The spectra tanks don't have the drain on the bottom though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom