1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front wiper leaks

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Photoman, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    I didn't want to jump all over someone elses thread as I usually do so I thought I would start a new one. Has anyone else found by running synthetic in the front axle they get leaks at relatively low miles. I went to synthetic at 5K miles and was leaking on one side around the wipers at 20k miles. Dealer repair - dealer put in regular 90#. I changed back to synthetic and was leaking on the other side at 30k miles. Dealer repair with regular 90#. I left this in and have not had a leak for 30k miles. Miles not exact, but you get the idea. A reliable non-drunk friend once said "If you have a leak, synthetic will find it". Any others with similar leaks that have a rough idea of the miles they are getting with/without synthetic?
    Bill

2. Beowulf

Beowulf

Bill,
    The design of the front axle and the location of the inner axle seal, should keep 90# (dino or syn) from getting to the wipers.

I put syn grease in the knuckles over 15k miles ago. I switched the F&R diffs to synthetic gear oil about 5k miles ago. No leaks as of now.

-B-

3. Chris_Geiger

Chris_Geiger

Synthetic get past seals easier than dino oil. I have seen many examples of increased oil leaks from engines and tcase seals after swapping over to synthetic.

4. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Bill,

I've changed to Mobil1 Synthetic in the axles & transfercase & tranny since it was 39Kmiles - no leaks - no oily dust around the seals at all (now at > 63Kmiles).

Frank.

5. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Frank,
    Does that mean you have >63K on the original seals or was there a rebuild/replacement at 39k miles when you switched?
    Bill

6. sjcruiser

sjcruiser

Bill,

Besides the upgrades, all the parts (thus seals) are original. All maintainance replacement thus far (besides fluids) are platinum plugs, pcv valve, cap & rotor; that's about it.

Frank.

7. Photoman

Photoman SILVER Star

Media:
    Thanks Frank,
    I'm impressed and disappointed at the same time.
    Bill