Front Drive Shaft Length ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bluehawk

Appalachia Cruisers
Threads
So I'm about ready to try and move this build along really fast. When getting the front drive shaft set up, how much of the slip section should be out? From mounting surface to mounting surface is about 26 1/4" Mine is way short and needs to be lengthened. Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Ryan

I guess it would be easier if I knew what the stock length of the front drive shaft is. From mounting surface to mounting surface

Ryan, is your driveshaft the regular or double cardan type? I was thinking they're different lengths.

I think it's a DC. I'll have to pull it out of storage and double check.

Let me know if it's a DC. I've got one laying around and can give you compressed and extended lengths.

Let me know if it's a DC. I've got one laying around and can give you compressed and extended lengths.

Hey Ridge here is what I've got. I know I'll have to make it longer. Just know where to start at. How much slip and all that good stuff. From mounting surface to mounting surface is 26 1/4" or really close to that.
20160503_095033.jpg

Ok, so you already know the original length of the drive shaft. Unless you're going with a huge lift, I think you'll be fine with the stock length of the splines, but that's beyond my knowledge and a question for a driveline shop.

To measure the static length you need, bolt both ends of the driveshaft to their respective flanges. With the 60 on level ground, measure from the center of the forwardmost u-joint cap to the center of the far one in the rear. Just like measuring the wheelbase of a car. That will be your new baseline length for your driveshaft that the shop will need. I would expect them to have a formula along the lines of the Pythagorean Theorem to calculate how much you need for the slip yoke. They may want to know how much droop and compression your suspension is going to have. That, of they'll just know from experience.

As far as how much of the spline section shows at rest, I only have one stock height 60. It's an '87 with a single u-joint, but I imagine that part is close enough to the same. I'll shimmy underneath and measure it when I go to my shop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom