1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front diff. breather?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Cruiserhead05, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

I was looking around on my axles for breathers, was gonna place some small filters on the ends. i notice that my front axle diff doesnt have a breather. is this normal...thanks

2. SuperDuperCruizer

SuperDuperCruizer

Media:
    My 81 front axle has a fitting with a hose routed above the axle's height. The 78 I used to have had a valve with a cap instead.

3. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    it has to have one otherwise the pressure would build and cause fluid to leak past the seal. are you sure that there isn't crap blocking the hole where it used to be? my 40's and 45 are all on the longside just above where the brakeline t.

4. Cruiserhead05

Cruiserhead05 SILVER Star

Hmm. funny you talk about grease leaking. my drivers side hub has been leaking grease for a little while now.....i'm swapping out my 3rd members soon and we're doing new seals, maybe that is the problem...

5. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    not grease..90wt. the grease is only in the hub area. it's common for the knuckle seals to be leaking on older cruisers and to need replacement, but if there's no place for the pressure in the diff to vent, you'll blow 90wt past the inner axle seal and will have 90wt mixed in with the grease. when you pull the hub, if the grease is watery in consistancy, you've got 90wt in it.

6. FJAfrica

FJAfrica