Front axle service requirements (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

and Dan would it be hard to switch over from the old style to the new?

What are the advantages? If Toyota changed the design they must have had a good reason.

Doug, Riley,

The bearing type spindle is a direct replacement for the bushing type spindle. Just remove the old one, toss it over your shoulder and put the new one on in it's place. As far as the price difference goes it is a moot point as the part number has been superceeded to the bearing type spindle. It was a 43401-60041 which listed for $214.80. The bearing spindle is a 43401-60080 and it lists for $251.90. I don't think I would bother to change them out just to say I did it. I'd wait til I needed one for bushing wear or contact wear from the wheel bearings. 500 bucks is a lot to spend if there is nothing to fix.

Dan.

Well, good that it will be easily found when the time comes, bad that it will cost that much to do. I've got some spindle wear on the rears from heavy towing, so might be something to look into.

Just thought of something. Can the spindles be rotated and installed 90 degrees from their original orientation? If so, I could move the grooves away from the weight bearing top and bottom location, eh?

IdahoDoug

The front spindles go on one way only. the bolt pattern is asymetric. The rear spindles are part of the rear axle housing. Bad rear spindle = new rear axle housing. :'(

Yow. Makes me glad I repacked them properly and used overengineered synth grease to boot. Never even stopped to notice that they're part of the rear housing. Wonder if there's a "speed____" for this size bearing surface. I'm thinking of a company that makes thin steel wraps for axles and such to provide a fresh bearing surface when the part gets worn, but can't remember the name. Seems like I looked into them years ago and the smallest sizes were mammoth. Oriented toward the big industrial stuff.

IdahoDoug

We have used the speedi's in the past for sealing surfaces, IE crank pulleys, but never under a bearing. I never thought of that one. ::) If it would take the pressure ok, it sounds like a way to save some bucks.

Crud. That's a good point, and I'm not sure they actually cater to that application. Seems like their sleeves were oriented to seal type apps as opposed to load bearing.

IdahoDoug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom