Front Axle repair cost - is this right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get a real diagnosis, and if that is the real cost, you could buy an entire assembly at the junk yard for much less.

OEM birfields are 700.00 a piece without Cdan's discount so 2400.00 is not out of the question but I agree you should be able to get it done cheaper.

All good advice.

I hate to constantly slam dealers, but all too often they do shotgun a diagnosis. Moreover, if it went from perfect to s*** in a matter of seconds there should be a reasonable, believable explanation for why this happened.

$2,400 + tax can fix a lot of things...but you only want to fix what's truly broken. At worst, tell them your from Missouri and you want them to "show you" what's wrong prior to repair. From a guy who, for better for worse, has spent a lot of his life as a car dealer service manager, the tech should be able to quickly and simply show you what is wrong.

But as others have said, if you are not sure what you're looking at get someone who does (a disinterested third party) and DO NOT be afraid to get a second opinion. Dealers are not a panacea when it comes to car repair. And at this point (2009) I'd bet this shop does not really see too many FZJ80s anyway. So the dude who is working on it will be no better or worse then a great independent shop.

s***...hit Yelp and find a good shop in your area there.

I'm suprised they didn't tell you your tranny was toast, and quote you for that. I bet its a drive flange, and even if you did snap an axle or birf, you should only need to replace that side, not two new inner axles. Definitly pay to have them look into it and properly diagnois it. The quote was probably just to cover all bases.

Plus quoting all new parts eliminates the worst part of the job... Cleaning!!! When I was a bike mechanic at a shop, preventative maintenance on my bikes included pulling all the dirty parts, chucking them in the garbage and bolting on new parts :) That approach with an 80 will put you in the poorhouse real quick.

From the description provided I'm going to be pretty surprised if this is not the fallen-out caliper bolt issue.

If it is, it's a simple and cheap fix if the caliper, wheel, etc aren't damaged more than superficially.

I'd say find a helpful member on this board near you and offer them a nice dinner, beer and gas money to come help you look at and teach you about your truck.

This is the best "first step" on this whole thread so far. Second is give the dealer 1 hr to diagnose the actual problem before signing up for the "bend over" price you have been quoted.

The big ticket items on these trucks usually give you some warning before they fail completely or instantly.

lift the front 2 tires off the groundand disconect the front drive shaft, with a helper turn the tires at the same time forward to see if it is actually in the front axel,if the 2 wheels turn at the same time"smoothly then this eliminates the axel, if it doesnt move then check the axel more carefully, this is the same diagnosis that was given to my 80, it would drive in reverse only . it ended up that it was the transfer case. After spliting the case it was easy to see that a bearing was destroyed and got lodged in the gears causeing it to stop going forward. It had no gear oil,P.O did not do very good maintenance. This work can be done in less than one hour and you will find out where the problem is. Or give away your money to the dealer, i prefer to do things myself.....i have more sense than i have money so not really a problem i will ever worry about. BTW i bought a transfer case on Mudd for $485 shipped and with new gear oil and gas to pick it up i was in the hole $525 :)

Ditto with all the other replies.

Not to says all dealer's service departments are clueless, but it amazes me how often I talk with a friend who has just been given the royal shaft.

Too many times the diagnosis is barely a look, and rarely does it take more than a test drive and guess on the techs part.

I have dealt with the same dealer since 1985 (my 85 4Runner), and after the purchase of my 97 LC, I took it there to have the diff and xfer case fluid changed. I typically do most of my own work, but this is a messy job, that I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks for since they can pump it in so easy.

In talking with the servcie mgr, he admitted that they see very few LC's, and none of their techs are experienced with them, especially the older years. I could see this as a prime example where an estimate like yours could be given.

In any case, do follow the advice given on the forum.

Is it possible there could be a serious problem? Sure, but the chances also exist it is something a lot less.

Good luck.

I appreciate all the good advice. I went over to talk to the tech and everyone was right. It was a highball estimate. $1200 for each axle if indeed that was what it is. He also talked about caliper bolts and possible drive flange but no diagnosis without my go ahead. I talked to a veteran cruiser head in town and he said there were two guys over there that had been working on these vehicles for years and should be in good hands. So now I wait to see the damage.

So now I wait to see the damage.

Who are you kidding? We're all waiting to see who got it right! Us or the dealer who had the benefit of having the car in front of them for accurate diagnosis!

NaterGator your the man. Was indeed the caliper bolt. $50 bucks later and I'm back on the road. Allot of naysaying about dealerships and I am in general part of that opinion. But these guys could have taken me to the cleaners. Given most of the dealers are making their nut off of repairs these day, I'm stoked there is an honest tech out there. However I'm going out to buy a decent pair of jack stands today so I can check this stuff out myself.

Am I right in reading this that our $2400 axle rebuild was really a $50 in Caliper bolts????

If this is true, you should turn your dealer into the BBB.

You should also post up the name, location, contact info, technician name, ect. of the dealer.

No - the dealer caught this and only charged $50 for the inspect and bolt.

Birfs approach $700 a piece, long axle is about $150, and short axle is about $100. Slap on the kit to do the standard rebuild at about $300 and you would be easily at that amount. But that $2400 should be including some of these things and not just some of the much milder items mentioned already.

A true front end disintegration would easily be $2400 and that was probably what the dealership was guessing based on the description by ozarkroozer. That IMO is not dishonest or unreasonable; it would have been different if the truck had been inspected first and they quoted that... any good tech would put the truck on the lift and take the wheels off and notice the problem instantly, so that would have been taking him to the cleaners.

Glad to hear that's all it was :beer:. Based on the situation (heavy vibration) and the forward-only nature of the problem it sounded pretty likely. Isn't it nice when things aren't as bad as they seem? :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom