Front Axle Rebuild - For FAQ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did my axle job over two weeks....hours at a time...
Thank you for the cheat sheet posted above.... Sure makes things easier..

I found the knuckle studs to be loose. On my rebuild I used loctite and used paint to make it easier to see if the studs come loose..

View attachment 1287292 View attachment 1287293

Great idea The only change I will make is using the white color to match my 80:D

About to attempt this - what studs etc are we likely to break? New mechanics, so if we break off a stud or whatever we're not going to be in a happy place - we don't know how to drill and tap, for example. Also, is it worth giving the knuckle and the brake plate a good coat of paint to make it look nice for a week? Thanks.

About to attempt this - what studs etc are we likely to break? New mechanics, so if we break off a stud or whatever we're not going to be in a happy place - we don't know how to drill and tap, for example. Also, is it worth giving the knuckle and the brake plate a good coat of paint to make it look nice for a week? Thanks.

If you have a torque wrench (needed) and dont live in the rust belt should not be a concern. For me yes on paint and clean everything spotless others will say :meh:.

As @LandCruiserPhil said earlier, I would definitely suggest painting your parts after cleaning. I took my time when doing this job, especially when cleaning, but I overlooked/skipped painting everything and now all my parts have a light layer of rust on them:(

If I could do it again, I would paint the knuckles, dust shield, flanges, grease cap, calipers.....

Thanks all. I'll definitely paint everything I take off - truck is totally rust free and I'm intending to keep it that way, so I'm glad to hear I probably won't break anything.

If I'm not actually disconnecting the calipers (doing like in the Jonesy video, zip tying them to the coils) I'm guessing that painting those will be much harder, right? Should I still try? We don't know how to bleed brakes and frankly they work pretty well, so apart from replacing the pads and rotors, I'm probably not going to bust open the brake system. I've read @musthave's threads and know what horrors can come of that.

Thanks all. I'll definitely paint everything I take off - truck is totally rust free and I'm intending to keep it that way, so I'm glad to hear I probably won't break anything.

If I'm not actually disconnecting the calipers (doing like in the Jonesy video, zip tying them to the coils) I'm guessing that painting those will be much harder, right? Should I still try? We don't know how to bleed brakes and frankly they work pretty well, so apart from replacing the pads and rotors, I'm probably not going to bust open the brake system. I've read @musthave's threads and know what horrors can come of that.

Do you have air tools?

Do you have air tools?

I have a compressor and a 1/2" air impact driver. I am in no way averse to purchasing tools though if you have suggestions. Always good to have new tools.

image.jpeg
Rebuilding my axle and noticed I have a sheared bolt on the bottom of my knuckle. Does anyone know the specs for that bolt?

Upgraded stud available from Toyota. It might be smart to replace all 4. Since you're in Atlanta, give @beno a shout for all your parts needs.

If I'm disconnecting the tie rod from the knuckle arm (to check studs and paint it), do I need to replace the tie rod ends? The rubber washers are looking a little squished. But otherwise it looks fine.

Not necessarily, but if you know the history of the truck that should help on making a decision..
I would, just cause I already pulling things apart...

replace the tie if its not stiff, you're in there now and TRE's are cheap.

Replace everything you can while you are in there. Way easier now and you don't have to undo your nice clean work later if anything else goes bad (that you reused)

View attachment 1301586 Rebuilding my axle and noticed I have a sheared bolt on the bottom of my knuckle. Does anyone know the specs for that bolt?

Just rebuilt the front end on my truck. I elected to replace all 8 lobular studs. Given how common it is to see these bolts broken, they are obviously under an enormous amount of stress. Seems prudent (and relatively cheap) to start fresh.

Stud; 90126-12005
Nut; 94115-71200
Flat washer; 90201-12019
Cone washer; 42323-60020

So today I finished rebuilding my front axle on my 97 FZJ80 and thought I would share some lessons learned for people who may be thinking about tackling this on their own. (This was my first time)

1. How ever much brake cleaner you think you need, double it. Seriously go to Walmart and buy 10+ cans and and whatever you don't use take back. (Or keep that stuff is great)

2. When it comes to rags/towels refer to #1. Luckily before I did mine my wife went through our closest and had a pile of old t-shirts she was going to give away so I snagged those and cut up for rags.

3. It's going to messier than you think it's going to be.

4. Get some old refrigerator boxes to lay in the ground. Makes for easy clean up.

5. Don't rush it. It's going to take longer than you anticipate. My one day job turned in to two but that was due to two broken studs on my passenger side knuckle.

But overall it was not supper difficult just be prepared for a long dirty job and you will be fine.

Just rebuilt the front end on my truck. I elected to replace all 8 lobular studs. Given how common it is to see these bolts broken, they are obviously under an enormous amount of stress. Seems prudent (and relatively cheap) to start fresh.

Stud; 90126-12005
Nut; 94115-71200
Flat washer; 90201-12019
Cone washer; 42323-60020
Thanks for the info! I was able to get the broken stud out, I took it to "Six Ditch" a 4x4 shop near me and he was able to get the broken piece out. He also got me the hook up on some studs off of an old axle.

Newbie here with rookie question, could someone please let me know the qty of the following parts needed for the job? Thanks very much.
Studs, 90126-12005
Nuts, 94115-71200
Flat washers, 90201-12019
Cones, 42323-60020

Not sure if he is still there, but call Cruiser Dan - he has everything you need for doing this fix.

American Toyota

He was awesome when I did my 80 axels years ago
He retired in April 2016.

I'm looking for parts for my rebuild and want to know the best place to go to and what needs to be replaced.

Get to Beno on this forum, he will make it right !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom