Freakin Hood is stuck... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Talk about pissing you off...

My hood is not opening today. I've pulled the hood release cable and I'm getting no love. It's still connected up there, you can hear the cable still connected to the latch. I've tried the slapping on the hood trick, the hold the release up while you slap on the hood trick... nothing.

Any age old tricks up your sleaves?

Pretty much the banging on the hood trick while pulling the release lever. You might have to hit it pretty hard right by the hood latch so you need help unless you have REALLY long arms. The trick, of course, is not to hit it too hard. ;)

If you can get penatrating oil up there you might try spraying it. Prying has to be the last resort as it will mess up at least your paint and quite probably your sheet metal.

Good luck. It seems every time they make something more theft proof it comes back to bite you in the ass. :mad:

On my old 1991 80 it required two people to open the hood. One has to pull the hood tab and the other has to lift up when the tab it fully pulled. (I take the blame for this, I removed that lower panel so many timies im sure i messed up the reinstall once)

-Matt

How about the "drive down a rough dirt road while pulling the hood release" trick? The secondary latch will prevent it from opening more than an inch or so, but you'll be able to see it happen easily.

When you get it open, sounds like some liquid graphite in the cable, and some grease on the latch itself are in order.

IdahoDoug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom