Fox Shox 2.0's Are On! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Convert to eye mount adapters like everybody else to eliminate the weakness and mount slop :flipoff2:?

Got these bad boys in my possession already so not going to be using adapters. Guess I'll just have to see if they break...:hillbilly:

But hey at least mines 2"'s longer than yours...:flipoff2:

I am running:
Front: 70/80 11 inches of travel
Rear: 80/90 10 inches of travel

Springs are OME's installed by PO w/ 2 inch spacers with a total lift of about 3 inches.

Fax,

What is your rig setup for? And what kind of wheeling do you do?

Are you happy with the performance

Just a little update. Got my shocks from spressomon in a flash, thanks bud.
Used terraflex shock adapters as the warrior brand from 4wp would not fit the foxes. Used urethane bushings on the lower mount that came with them. They were too small but a simple reamer and abrasive bit on the drill got them to the right size.

Still need to extend the bump stops a bit and get a set for the front but love the control on the rear end. Much improved.

And a friend helping is great because these things are stiffies.

Glad they're working out for you Josh!

The broken pins was more of a welding/quality control issue, than anything else, leaking seals another, unable to get supply, unable to get correct color front and rear[some black, some blue......]

The broken pins were the final straw.

The pin to eye adapters eat up your collapsed length, you could then go RR to move the gas piston, but once you have had 2.5's, you cant go back to 2.0's... :meh:

What is your rig setup for? And what kind of wheeling do you do?

Are you happy with the performance

My rig sees about 80% pavement and 20% washboard/bad roads. This rig is a daily driver.

It is a bit harsh when driving slow ( ok when driving at around 30mph) on washboard roads but on pavement it is ok.

At what date is the SEMA show going to be? need shocks ASAP.
Rear OME shocks are shot :bang: only lasted 20k miles

Any updates on these shocks. What valving are people running with their vehicle weights? And driving conditions.

I finally got tired of the OME's in the rear and ordered up two rear shocks. :D Just arrived yesterday and haven't had time to install them, but they are the 2.0 remote res. 10" stem top/bushing bottom. They end up somewhere between the standard OME's and the L's. Aside from the reservoir mounting they should bolt right in.

I got the front's revalved at the same time. They were a bit slow on the compression for washboard type roads.

Both sets purchased at Down South motor sports. They are great to work with and their service is outstanding. If you are in the market for these fox shox I highly recommend you check them out.

IMG_0175.JPG

Finally got the two rear shocks mounted up a few months back in time to take them on a test run to Arizona/Utah. I've had a few folks ask about the latest setup and my feedback on it, so here's a bit of information.

Updated Valving

Down South set up a flutter stack for my shocks. It is supposed to enable the shim stack to deflect easier in the initial stages of compression to help with the "quick, small" hits. One of the issues with a standard speed sensitive valving stack (like a good deal of shocks out there) is that a small washboard at higher speed is a "high speed" hit. High speed relates to the speed of the shaft/piston, not the vehicle.

So, a flutter stack is intended to allow that very initial fluid movement to have less damping, while if it was a larger hit with more piston movement, the initial (larger diameter, less thickness) shims will contact the thicker shims, and provide more damping.

Here's the setup:

Front Compression:

• 1.6x.008
  • 1.425x.008
  • .8x.01 (this is the "flutter" spacer that allows the top two shims to deflect more easily).
  • 1.35x.01
  • 1.1x.01
  • .95x.01
  • .8x.02

Front Rebound:

Rear Compression:

• 1.6x.008
  • 1.425x.01
  • .8x.01
  • 1.35x.01
  • 1.1x.012
  • .95x.012
  • .8x.02

Rear Rebound: 80

Below you can see fox's table for their standard valving. From this you can see the front is valved near a 40, and the rear is maybe a 45 ish, but it doesn't quite match up.

Thoughts:
This setup functions much nicer than the previous setup. It is still a bit stiff compression wise both on and off road on the small bumps., even with an ARB/winch up front, fridge, rear swingout, etc. It also feels like it could maybe use a bit MORE compression on the high end for bigger hits. However, at some point I have to realize this is not a position sensitive shock and have to design for what conditions I would typically run, which is washboard.

I think the rebound is pretty good where it is, and matches up fairly well with the spring rate (OME 850/863) and the weight of the vehicle.

So, I'll probably leave it alone for a while and run it, see how it works :)
Valving.png

Mounting

Here's a few pics of where I mounted the reservoirs. Its not ideal but for the work required, its not bad.

Each mount was just a piece of 2x2 angle steel with a few holes drilled in it. I used existing holes in the body of the cruiser to mount to.

The mount on the Drivers side needs to be adjusted, either put on the other side of the angle iron or moved forward or back. The upper control arm contacted the res. on a big wash hit during the test. If I had 1" spacers in the rear it wouldn't have been an issue.

I had a bit of an issue getting the lower bushing on the mount. It was quite rusty and the PO had installed the old washers on backwards. Other than that, I think the shocks are a great length for the heavy springs.

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

Climbing up the back side of elephant hill.
V5efNYeUTY2Vg0Kj6hlln7jg684FaAVSiy_ZJIu8qcU=w1315-h986-no

All finished with the trip!
7DPd3V8aghlmgaE-OcwiGAJYSxitHdK1B1svo3uwEjM=w1315-h986-no

Last edited:
For those that are using fox stuff (or any nitrogen chargeable shock) and go on longer trips, this *may* help. In prep for what I hope will be a multimonth road trip, I wanted to find a way to be able to maintain the shocks or do field repairs and charge them back up without taking along a whole large tank of nitrogen.

So, I did a quick experiment with a bike C02 inflater and nitrogen cartridges.

I wanted to see how many of these it would take to fill up a res after tearing it down to replace a seal. So before I ordered did some quick calculations with the help of the internet (it makes math fast :D )

Estimate the volume of the available space in the resi based on fox's ifp setpoint (in cubic inches)
1Volume%2520of%2520REs.png

Convert that to litres
2%2520Volume%2520in%2520liters.png

Figure out the pressure based on 1.8g of nitrogen (.064 moles) One mole of nitrogen is 28 grams, so 1.8/28=.064 moles in a cartridge
3%2520PSI%2520of%25201.8g.png

(easycalculations.com)

Convert kp into psi
5%2520PSI.png

So by my calculations 2 cartridges should at least get me in the range of a useable shock, especially if a bit of regular air was pumped in their to top it off. Not ideal but better than no shock 5 days into a trip or something.

So now the tests after I ordered everything up. Needed to revalve anyway so good time to test it.
The inflator
IMG_0568.JPG

After one Cartridige. A bit above my calc...but makes sense based on the fact that space was already filled with oxygen at regular atmospheric pressure, plus I didn't reduce volume to account for thickness of resi wall nor IFP thickness. Or may be my IFP is not set quite right :) at any rate ~85psi is great for one cartridge.
IMG_0566.JPG

After second one. ~160 PSI or a hair over if you don't hook up a pump. So three cartridges would probably get you right at about 200 psi.
IMG_0567.JPG

Overall for about 30 bucks, great option to be able to fill shocks out in the middle of nowhere. Add in a rebuild kit for ~10 bucks and a few tools, some shock oil and be set for longer expo trips. Obviously not for everyone and I'd much rather have a shock that didn't even need field work, but these fox's have already outlasted my set of OME's and seem to still be going strong, with the exception of corrosion on the shock bodies from colorado winters!

Corey

Last edited:
Can't seem to find a dedicated FOX 2.0 remote res thread and have read a few posts about making a dedicated thread ? i figured this was as good a place as any with the large amount of info already here.. so I'll post this stuff in here..
Just not long recieved my 12" pin to bush remote res FOX shox
Many thanks to downsouthmotorsports for the supply and great customer service.

I'm open to any suggestions and ideas..

I probably didn't give a very clear type of use of my 97 FZJ80 and they might have errd on the side of more control than compliance and softness so I find its fine on road when the road surface is ok.. It's great, small ripples etc dont even feel them but on the rough sealed roads its a little harsh and doesn't quite feel 100% right ( but still 100x better than the old Toughdogs big bore adjustables that they've replaced)
And more so hitting a speed bump(hump?) at around 40-60km/h its no where near as soft as I'd like it.. (I'm probably expecting a little much of a simple shock but I'm sure it can be improved to what they are supplied straight out of the box)
Current valving is:
F-70-90
R-55-90 with compression adjusters
I believe they're running single bleeds, and I'm running 150psi nitrogen at full extension

Plans are to try something along the lines of what COAX has ended up with but a little different as I still need to retain some control over my heavy wheel and tyre combo..and weight/height

I'll add a couple of options I've come up with using the crossover type shim arrangement installed in the 3rd position

I'm aiming to gain some medium speed compliance and high speed to be quite a bit softer.. Without sacrificing much of the low speed control

Shim stack lists In order of first idea and second.. Second is in theory I believe softer (easier deflection) high speed by swapping the last two small diam shims down to thinner options and decreasing the overall shim stack thickness at the same time should give a higher deflection for the same high speed force ?

I think I'm reasonably happy with the rebound although may opt to drop that down to a 75-80 once I get the compression behaving how I like

Fc= front compression
Rc= rear compression

12" Fox
Fc total 0.082 - Old #70-0.080
1.600-0.010
1.425-0.012
0.800-0.010 - crossover shim
1.350-0.010
1.100-0.010
0.950-0.010
0.800-0.020

Rc total 0.078 - old #55-0.074
1.600-0.008
1.425-0.010
1.350-0.010
1.100-0.010
0.950-0.010
0.800-0.020

Or

12" Fox
Fc total 0.076
1.600-0.010
1.425-0.012
1.350-0.010
1.100-0.010
0.950-0.006
0.800-0.018 changed these last two to give more easy deflection on high speed motion?

Rc total 0.078
1.600-0.008
1.425-0.010
1.350-0.010
1.100-0.010
0.950-0.010
0.800-0.020

I'm not to worried about going too soft on the highspeed as I'll be adding hydro bump stops and I don't jump it or anything like that anyway..

Let me know your thoughts and opinions !

Just in case you haven't been here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fox-shox-2-0-post-your-valving-and-weight.572565/

Although IFS and SA are going to require different shock tuning...I've been very, very happy since I incorporated a flutter stack on the slow side compression; YMMV with SA though. As you are finding out, in general, its all about compromise anyway; but the flutter shims really do a great job of controlling body/suspension roll for highway twisty turns without making it harsh for the typical highway slow speed compliance.

And as you change rebound tune it will have an effect on the compression side. I tightened up my rebound, across the board, and it had a similar effect on compression...makes sense as the velocity of rebound was slowed and thus not engaging the compression side to the same degree...

Just in case you haven't been here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fox-shox-2-0-post-your-valving-and-weight.572565/

Although IFS and SA are going to require different shock tuning...I've been very, very happy since I incorporated a flutter stack on the slow side compression; YMMV with SA though. As you are finding out, in general, its all about compromise anyway; but the flutter shims really do a great job of controlling body/suspension roll for highway twisty turns without making it harsh for the typical highway slow speed compliance.

And as you change rebound tune it will have an effect on the compression side. I tightened up my rebound, across the board, and it had a similar effect on compression...makes sense as the velocity of rebound was slowed and thus not engaging the compression side to the same degree...

Thanks ill check out that link..

Yeh SA and heavy rims and tyres..

I have a feels right now with the 90 rebound it feels sometimes too slow and sometimes almost too fast but I'm pretty sure it's because compression is a tad slow and not using the rebound valving just the bleed.. But I'm being quite fussy

Spending a little time under the truck this week, I realized my rear shocks are nearly blown (pretty easy to compress by hand) and the old yellow OME bushings must have shrunk or something, they're not securely holding the bottom of the shock in place. So the first 1/2" of travel is completely undampened (explains why concrete highways were so damn bouncy).

Anyhoo, I just ordered the Fox 2.0's in the 1.5-2.5" variety (985-24-073) on ebay from a vendor called liftkits4less. Price is $260/pair, I used the "make an offer" feature, offered $230, they countered $238. Tons of positive feedback for this vendor, and the #1 comment was "fast shipping." I'm hoping to get them on the truck by next wednesday.

Wanted to order from Down South, but couldn't find them on the website and it was too late to call and I got antsy.

Hey I know this is a old thread but been reading it to get ideas for my 95. I'm new to this forum and landcruiser in general. I just bought J springs and plan on running those . As far as shocks go I want to run the fox shocks. It seems like 10" is a safe bet. But didn't see what springs people were running. Let me know what you guys think thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom