Fox Shox 2.0's Are On! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coax,

On the rears I went with bushings on the rear. Downshouth do a bushings that matches up to the oem rear.

Bugsnbikes,
The coils I have gone for have a fair bit more free length on them than a STD 3" lift coil. A 12" shock was recommended with them. When I have the coils and shocks on I will be fabbing up bump stops to suit. I am aiming for 4" uptravel and 8" droop. This should be good for a dual purpose rig. I'm into long missions and some playing thrown in in between.

All I'm waiting for now is m new set of coils. They'll yeild a 3" lift and are progressive. Probably similar to what FOR offered but are from Australia.

There are some coil springs I've seen in Australia that have some "dead" coils. They basically compress fully in normal circumstances, acting like a spring spacer. When the axle is dropped, they become "live" and keep the spring from dropping out. I haven't seen any true progressive springs from Australia, but they very well could be out there.

12" travel foxes----you are planning to modify the shock mounts to work with 3"springs------or just do LONG bumpstops?

12" travel shocks are likely fine, but depends on the length when compressed.

I'm running ProComp 12.5" travel shocks in the front of mine, and only increased the total range slightly (part of the process of converting from stud/stud to eye/eye). No issues with the tire fully stuffed (at least as much as the front ever stuffs).

The Fox 12" has a compressed length of 19.1" which is about 3" longer than the compressed length of the10". Im pretty sure in the rear- Bikeman did a 2" bumpstop extension with the 10"shocks. I think you will need significantly more bumpstop extension to keep the rears from bottoming out.

Another factor to consider is your overall weight on the rig which will play into sagged/settled height on the rig. In theory- heavier rigs will be sagging slightly more into the springs up-travel and i would imagine coupled with the extra long bumpstops will leave you with even more limited "real" uptravel.

Effectively without extending shock mounting points----your max usable travel wont be 12"................. im guessing it will probably be closer to 10"...............as i think the 10"shocks arent really going to get the full 10"travel either. Im going to install my 10" this weekend---and will post up some results.

Definitely curious to see your results! please post up when you get them in. Both should fit but are gravitating toward 90%efffective usable length given spring lengths/ sagged height / and bumpstops needed.

The Fox 12" has a compressed length of 19.1" which is about 3" longer than the compressed length of the10".

19.1" compressed is quite long. The Pro Comp's I have in the front of my truck measure 17.32" compressed, or nearly 2" shorter for (roughly) the same amount of travel.

I gained about half an inch of extra travel room by switching to eye/eye, and the setup is perfect for me. I have not dropped my bump stops, and cannot over compress the shock even when fully stuffed.

Anyway, for a lot of 80's you might as well go with the 10" shocks as you'll have to drop your bump stops so far down that you'll lose about 2" of travel anyway. If you want to use the full range of the 12" Fox shocks, you'll need to adjust your mounts (raise the top or lower the bottom) by about 2" to make it work properly.

Obviously some measuring is in order to make it fit the specific vehicle.....

When I was looking into Fox and Bilstein shocks (prior to pulling the trigger on the Pro Comp's), I was quite surprised at how long of a body they had, and ruled them out for that very reason.

probably all trade-offs in terms of longer body-shorter body. Longer body and reservoir allow Fox to run slightly higher volumes at lower pressure which should theoretically provide better long term durability of seals. At least that has been Fox's theory on its bike socks/forks.

At the end of the day however- it probably comes down to the 2.0's ability to work within its range and im hoping the 2.0 with reservior has volume to handle the work of a heavy 80. I have a sneaking suspicion that the heavy rigs are going to really need the 2.5s and that the 2.0 wont hack it for more than 1yr.........which isnt acceptible in my book.

In the bike world and Fox.........im heavy (like a heavy rig) and tend to chew up the air foxes in about a year. As the Fox's have increased volume and lowered overall pressures.....they have been lasting longer.

I cant wait to set mine up and start F-ing with the pressures and valving. Mine were valved at 35/75 (slightly high purposely)........but im definitely planning on pulling out my bike shock pump to lower the nitrogen pressures somewhat since i have a bit lighter rig and am hoping that the lower pressure will help somewhat with durability.

There are some coil springs I've seen in Australia that have some "dead" coils. They basically compress fully in normal circumstances, acting like a spring spacer. When the axle is dropped, they become "live" and keep the spring from dropping out. I haven't seen any true progressive springs from Australia, but they very well could be out there.

You've seen them in production in the U.S., because that is the design of the FOR Gen II coils :D.

Those coils are progressive, but only in the transition from the underlying spring rate to the dead winds. Having said that, you could technically stack as much dead wind as you wanted to add to the lift and length of the coil.

As I recently discovered one of the benefits from moving from a 2.0" with remote (Fox; 5/8" shaft) to the 2.5" (Radflo; 7/8" shaft) on just the rear of my heavily laden 100 is, among other benefits, significantly improved anti-roll performance (without losing small bump comfort...in fact small bump performance improved considerably with the Radflo 2.5 shocks).

From strictly a cooling perspective the 10" Fox 2.0 with remotes, even after 50+mile runs across washboard at 60mph+, were more than adequate.

I haven't seen any true progressive springs from Australia, but they very well could be out there.

Here's a link to a thread on the coils I'm getting....
LCOOL Project Rooby

One thing to bear in mind, unlike Bikemans setup, I will not need the eye adapters, which do Doubt added a couple of inches to his overall extended length. (whoa, that could sound bad if read out of context). I’ll be interested to see what it ends up at as I did struggle deciding between the 12” and 10” units. On the plus side 37’s and gears are in the not too distant future so the 12’s might work out for the best.
Will keep you guys updated once I receive the coils.
What valving are you guys running on your 2.0’s? Mine are:
Front: 65/80
Rear: 65/90

Either way super amped to get these bad boys on.

Also worth noting that the 3" lift as above is taller than a 3" lift in the US. Your trucks are lower than ours from the factory, so 12" will be fine. Although autocrat do use an 11" front shock

There is a white truck on here with a slee 6" and 35s and it looks about as low as my 3" and 33s

Radflo 2.5s....that must be a pretty penny there.? comparable with the Fox 2.5s?

Probably. But Fox wouldn't build them the way I wanted...Glenn at Radflo was super accommodating and delivered on promise and on time. So, especially, for custom one-off stuff Glenn is da man.

We have moved away from Fox, after lots of supply issues, and the pins poor welding seeing them break off the top of the 2.0 Fox shocks on 80's and 100's.

P1000809.jpg

foxifs100front.jpg

We are now using 2.5" rr adj Kings, ride quality is improved, strength fixed, lengths custom, like the Foxes we used with ourr adaptors etc.

My last 80 on 35's, which was factory multi valve hdft, we used air bags in the front coils, and rear coils, with Fox custome valved 12" stroke 2.0's, and loaded offroad at speed, we had the problem of the snorkel pulling the screws out of the a pillar, because it didnt flex as much as the 80 did.

jumping80jpeg.jpg

P1000936.jpg

Hey Darren good to see you posting here again mate! The lack of pin strength is why we did the custom mounts on my '99 (along with other design and location considerations). Are you using King's upper pin style mount or did you convert to eye style? If so why do you think King's pin style will hold up better than Fox?

Dan

G'Day, work now easier, 3rd year of up and running, and we have been able to find some good staff, so I now have some spare time in my life :popcorn::steer::beer:

The King 2.5's have a whole cup style arrangement welded in, where as the fox has a pin not even spiggotted, welded around the shank, which holds the washer from fitting properly as well.

The slinky long travel coils we have been making use tapered wire, and are hand made, vs just "dead coils" as we found the tapered wire worked much better.

We made and tried 9 different designs, over 18 months, years ago when we went with making these coils in the mid 2000's.

We went with 3" ride height, and 100mm [4"] more free height, at 160lb rate, to cope with shocks up to 800mm [32"] and stay captive.

We also run a 40mm bump spacer for the 12" stroke 740mm [30"]long shocks as standard, to allow for 35's.

We also fit out expedition trucks with this set up, up to 9000 lb heavy!!!

slinky long travel coils we have been making use tapered wire, and are hand made, vs just "dead coils" as we found the tapered wire worked much better.

We made and tried 9 different designs, over 18 months, years ago when we went with making these coils in the mid 2000's.

We went with 3" ride height, and 100mm [4"] more free height, at 160lb rate, to cope with shocks up to 800mm [32"] and stay captive.

We also run a 40mm bump spacer for the 12" stroke 740mm [30"]long shocks as standard, to allow for 35's.

We also fit out expedition trucks with this set up, up to 9000 lb heavy!!!

Those sound cool.

Any chance in us getting those over in the States?

We export to other countries, a good shop who understood more than just bolting on shocks would be ideal for us to export to the U.S as well, and get feedback, if there were interest.

What's the damage on the king 2.5 setups to suit the ride pro 75mm coils?

Hey Darren,

The breaking of the pins on Fox's, did you find this to be happening on the majority of them you guys installed or was it only the odd one here and there?

I'm guessing this is due to side loading of the pin when flexing, do you think there is anything that can be done at the mount to help alleviate this?

I don't suppose you wanna share you valving figures for the 2.0's you've run...;)

I've got a set of slinkies coming my way and can't wait to get em on my 80. Been hearing alot of good things about them here in the UK.

What valving are you guys running on your 2.0’s? Mine are:
Front: 65/80
Rear: 65/90

I am running:
Front: 70/80 11 inches of travel
Rear: 80/90 10 inches of travel

Springs are OME's installed by PO w/ 2 inch spacers with a total lift of about 3 inches.

do you think there is anything that can be done at the mount to help alleviate this?

Convert to eye mount adapters like everybody else to eliminate the weakness and mount slop :flipoff2:?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom