Fox Shox 2.0's Are On! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just returned from 5 days in Canyonlands and my initial impression of the 60/65 valving is this: A touch light on the rebound, and a fair bit heavy on the compression. So, I'll be re-valving the fronts to something in the area of 40/70.

The driving in the maze was a mix of washboard, 40mph dirt roads, and slow 4wheeling. Was loaded with 120lbs of water, 80lbs of extra gas, 60lbs of snow chains, plus tools, food, 2 people, gear, 2 bikes, roof box, chairs, etc. The 60/65 reminded me quite a bit of the Nitrochargers. Bounces around quite a bit on the washboards and doesn't seem to soak up the small quick hits, but instead transfers them directly to my spine :crybaby: At really slow speeds they seemed to work well but swayed a bit more than ideal. At any rate, the fun continues!

EXCELLENT report, thanks for taking the time to write it all up. It really helps us to understand the Fox valving concept. What were the tire pressures?

EXCELLENT report, thanks for taking the time to write it all up. It really helps us to understand the Fox valving concept. What were the tire pressures?

Not a problem. I actually find suspension valving quite interesting. :grinpimp: I run my nitto's at 41 psi on the road per the Discount Tire load table . So they were at 41 on the dirt road from green river and into hans flat. From there I aired down for the rest of the trip, but forgot my gauge. I let out aprox 15-20 seconds of air, so maybe 30ish psi? Most of the washboard was with the lower psi.

For others reference, here's some links and a quick blurb from fox's website on valving.

GENERAL VALVING INFORMATION
On the end of the shock shaft is a piston with (8) holes. (4) compression and (4) for rebound. Layered on either side of the piston are washers in different diameters and thickness. These washers make up the shim stack. The shim stack has to flex to allow the flow of oil in either direction of the shock. When the shock compresses, this is called compression and when it extends, this is called rebound.
The shim stacks come is ranges from 30 to 110. The higher the number, the more damping force the shock will have.
When the shocks are built, we engrave the damping number on the bearing cap. The first number relates to the compression shim stack, the second number to the rebound stack. You will also find the sales order number and the last 3 digits of the part number.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/20_SERIES_VALVING_SPECS.pdf

The bypass technical manual contains the higher valving numbers not listed in the document above. Thanks to someone I don't remember for pointing this out. :cheers:
Though that's more of a "food for thought" as it appears the bypass shocks use more shims in each stack, so it wouldn't translate over to the 2.0's directly.

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/BypassTechnicalManual.pdf

One other note from the doc above:
The numbers have no physical value; they only correspond with the numbers on the chart above. Do not think that a #70 stack is 10% heavier than a #60 stack, nor is a #60 stack twice as stiff a #30 stack. Use the numbers only to convey what valve stack is in the shock.

I also thought this was some good reading on basic shock tech: http://www.bsb-mfg.com/all_about_shocks.htm

Last edited:
Just to add: Foxes "60/40" refers to 60% available compression and 40% available rebound. I've revalved my rear Fox 2.0 remotes (.625" shaft and 10" model) a couple times and am currently running 80/70 and its perfect for my rig (except when the KK trailer with its 350lb tongue weight is in tow); heavy, heavy rig with 864's in the back.

And 80/60 up front with Fox 2.0, .625", remote, 6.5" model.

If you haven't done so try to get yourself an NO2 tank, gauge and fill valve. It'll make removing and installing those shocks a snap ;). And, of course, you'll need it for overhaul/tuning too.

Man those Fox's look good.

Are you going to stick to a 10" travel shock on the rear too?

Yes, I'll put a 10" on the rear just as soon as I get a job ;) Due to the fox style/build it will end up being somewhere in the middle of a regular OME shock and an "L" shock in terms of compression and extension.

For what I use the cruiser for, I've never felt I needed more than a 10" shock in the rear.

Having wheeled these shocks at all 4 corners for the past 3 seasons I can say they are a nice trail shock and dd shock but don't expect them to hold up to any sort of extended higher speed beating. They can't take it on our heavy trucks-don't beat them too hard. Mine have been rebuilt once and need another rebuild. Get a remote reservoir if possible. perhaps you could run two on each wheel.

Get a remote reservoir if possible. perhaps you could run two on each wheel.

Yep these are the 2.0 remote res shocks ;) Though I do agree for a heavy 80 a 2.5 remote res would be a better match. But they are quite literally twice the cost and I just couldn't spend that much.

After bombing around in the desert over memorial day the reservoirs were hot but not burning. I think the fact I can feel a good amount of heat coming off the shock body is a good sign; IE its able to release that heat unlike a twin tube which may insulate it and build up more heat within the body. I guess it all comes down to what the setup of the vehicle is and the intended use. :cheers:

Get the eye adapters for the front top and bottom and the top rear, and a 3/4" bushing for the rear lower, then order you shocks.

Im trying to figure out if the shocks for sale in the classifieds will work on the rear but can't quite find the info i need for the mounting. Currently the have a 1/2" urethane bushing on the top, this i can use an eye adapter with right? easy

The bottom has a #8 spherical joint which im trying to figure out if i can swap to a urethane bushing to fit in the factory lower mount.
EDIT: will these fit into the lower mount?
http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/12/sfID2/113/sfID3/30/productID/3773

Or any other way to get these to fit?

These are the ones in question: https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/498879-fox-2-0-x-10-travel-shocks.html

Last edited:
Im trying to figure out if the shocks for sale in the classifieds will work on the rear but can't quite find the info i need for the mounting. Currently the have a 1/2" urethane bushing on the top, this i can use an eye adapter with right? easy

The bottom has a #8 spherical joint which im trying to figure out if i can swap to a urethane bushing to fit in the factory lower mount.
Off Road Warehouse - Shocks Fox Shocks Fox Accessories 3/4" URETHANE BUSHING SET FOR 2.0 FOX SHOCKS.

These are the ones in question: https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/498879-fox-2-0-x-10-travel-shocks.html

The Urethane fox bushings have sleeves that are 9/16" ID and that may work for our lower mounts. The question is will the actual bushings fit inside the shock mount? Maybe talk to Spressomon to find out that answer.

They should be on the way soon. I will post my findings, thanks ali!

Off Road Warehouse - Shocks Fox Shocks Fox Accessories 3/4" URETHANE BUSHING SET FOR 2.0 FOX SHOCKS.

Another option you might have (and I'm not saying this is the best, or even a good option) would be to replace the shaft-side with a stem mount, and replace the body-side mount with one that fits the lower axle mount. And then run the shocks body-side down. (You'd have to check clearances with the remote res) Not sure what you would really gain from this other than potentially a shorter length since you wouldn't have to use any adapters.

We are testing some prototype Fox's specifically made for the 80 series..

https://forum.ih8mud.com/ca-socal-80s/472863-new-fox-prototypes-80-series.html

!! :eek: Very cool! Are they going to be based on a standard 2.0 or their "performance" (ie budget) series? Remote res? I'm definitly interested in what you come up with, though the 2.0 remote res stem top 10" is pretty much the ideal shock for the rear of the 80 in terms of bolt in.

I'll also be interested to see what they set the valving at; since there is probably a good 3000lb weight difference between some folks' vehicles on here.

If I could ask a favor, could you post up a quick note in this thread as more info becomes avail, for those folks that don't watch your club thread? That would be awesome. Looking forward to more info!

:cheers:

The Urethane fox bushings have sleeves that are 9/16" ID and that may work for our lower mounts. The question is will the actual bushings fit inside the shock mount? Maybe talk to Spressomon to find out that answer.

The urethane bushing kit I have on these shocks is 1/2" ID; however they do make the same urethane bushing kit with 9/16" (14mm nominal) ID. The urethane bushing itself (without the steel crush sleeve) has an ID of 3/4".

Well, Santa came early today...

Just recieved these from Downsouth...

Front Shock:
DSC_0653-1-1.jpg

Rear Shock:
DSC_0652-1-1.jpg

And some 3' Hi Flex castor correction Bushes from Slee Offroad
DSC_0661-1.jpg

These apparently don't bind up like traditional caster correction bushes.

Front and rear shocks are 12" travel units. Can't wait to get these onto the cruiser :drool:

All I'm waiting for now is m new set of coils. They'll yeild a 3" lift and are progressive. Probably similar to what FOR offered but are from Australia. Apparently the muts nuts so as soon as I get em on I'll report back.

Later

Very cool.

Did you go with the heim on the bottom of the rears or was the shop able to find a new end/bushing that fits on the stock mount? I'm going to be ordering a set of the rears soon (though 10") and didn't know if fox had a provision for changing out the rear to an L3 bushing.

What are your plans for bump stops? I have a set of 10'' front 12'' rear fox 2.0's but I was thinking I'd need closer to 4'' of lift especially in the front. I'm either going to make custom eye mounts like walkingeagle or buy pin adapters like you have.

Just recieved these from Downsouth...

Front Shock:
DSC_0653-1-1.jpg

Rear Shock:
DSC_0652-1-1.jpg

And some 3' Hi Flex castor correction Bushes from Slee Offroad
DSC_0661-1.jpg

These apparently don't bind up like traditional caster correction bushes.

Front and rear shocks are 12" travel units. Can't wait to get these onto the cruiser :drool:

All I'm waiting for now is m new set of coils. They'll yeild a 3" lift and are progressive. Probably similar to what FOR offered but are from Australia. Apparently the muts nuts so as soon as I get em on I'll report back.

Later

12" travel foxes----you are planning to modify the shock mounts to work with 3"springs------or just do LONG bumpstops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom