Forks of the Ram run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Access is via North Fork road just outside Rocky Mountain House or from the trunk road south of Nordegg. The trail itself isnt a tough one, a few tight spots, a couple of old washed out gullies to crawl through. Or at least thats the way it was the last time I was on it. It doesn't see much truck traffic. Finish line is where the north and south forks of the Ram river come together. Not that much of a trek.

I've heard that the trail does continue to loop around to the main road, but haven't tried it so far, or even really looked, as the river has always been high and fast when I've been there.

At the least itll be a good excuse to get out again, do some casual wheeling/camping and could turn into an adventure should we choose. Myself, exploration always turns my crank.

If theres anyone that has more local intel do post up.

Too anyone who's interested, post up, and we can try and work out timing that works for the majority. I'm in as soon as next weekend.

maybe....2nd weekend in November might work. Baby is 5 weeks out so might be tight for me so will have to run it past the better half.

sounds like a good reason to get out. I'd be more willing to do a day trip but I'm the one who lives in rocky so its way less driving. I'm free either day this weekend. The other day I'm helping dad rebuild the body on his cj2a.

sounds good to me. Saturday, south timmies, 9am. If anyone else wants to come last minute send me a text or call me and we'll wait for ya. 403-846-0972

DSCF0189.JPG
DSCF0195.JPG
DSCF0198.JPG
DSCF0206.JPG
DSCF0210.JPG

DSCF0239.JPG
DSCF0240.JPG
DSCF0242.JPG

Pictures! ya, I need a better camera lol. Good run tho. Found the trail where it continues beyond the confluence of the rivers, but thats a run for another day.

Thats a one day go, what you see there. Main trail to forks isnt long, two trucks took two hours ish. With the group we have its only the tight bits that will take time. No other real obstacles. I'm confident we can run down the rest of the trail in a weekend. I expect some hefty elevation changes of the sort we experienced on our alternate exit route. Long, steep, but still drivable hills. A little snow could change alot. Forks provide a nice camp, provided you're willing to camp on far side of river. First and second crossing were easy this time, a bit over hub deep. Third crossing to far side provides two choices, up stream is a narrow but faster route, down stream is a much wider crossing, with more flow than first couple and a couple ripples worth consideration. That being said, I feel it was time that stopped us this go. Either route is doable with the nod going to upstream. I also feel an 80 wouldnt need to look as hard at either as we did in the pickups.

Jon was telling me a bit about it when we were riding down there on Sunday. Really wish I could have made it out, its always a good time in that area!

Jeremy, Would you guys be up for this run again November 19/20 2016 weekend?

Unfortunately I believe Jeremy is out in Ontario visiting family and hunting. But I'll see if he would be up for organizing a run for when he returns. I'm looking forward to having a 4x4 for next year to get back out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom