Ford Taurus Fan Wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know, search and there is a ton of stuff on this. Well guess what, your right, there is a ton of stuff, a ton of people just talking about what they did, but not how they did it.

I have a small block Chevy and will run 2 single pin temp probes, so the low speed can kick on from one of the probes, and the high speed will turn on with the other probe. I will be using the probe as the ground (once the probe reaches temp it completes ground).

I want to use a 40a relay for the low and a 80a continuous relay (like the kind for golf carts) for the high.

I also have the factory fan dual circuit breaker that plugs into the fan plug, so i am assuming I would only need the relays and a fuse?????????

So can anyone direct me to a wire diagram i can follow allong with? I'll find the part numbers for the sending units and relays, I've already found them from other posts.

Thanks
Jake
$_57.jpg

One other thing, 85 would go directly to the switched source, and 86 would attach to the probe which will ground it to complete the circuit.

What do you mean the switched source, you mean the power wire that will activate upon turning the key on?

So 30 will have battery power all the time and 85 will turn on with the key?

What do you mean the switched source, you mean the power wire that will activate upon turning the key on?

So 30 will have battery power all the time and 85 will turn on with the key?

Yes, & Yes.

30 is fused to battery (+), 85 (ignition switch)

So should i leave the circuit breakers in the wiring between the relays and the fan?

I'd run one right at the battery... Wouldn't hurt to have a lower Amp one in the low speed circuit also.

What about running them like this diagram shows and since i don't have AC i would just put the high temp gauge in that location.
Dual_Speed_Fan_Diagram_V3.jpg

I think this modified version showing the temp probes at locations 86 is accurate and complete then.
You see any problems with this set up? The only reason I changed it up from what you had originally posted was because the new way if you lose a relay you will still have at least one of the speeds. The way you posted, if i'm looking at it correctly, is if you lose a relay, you loose both low and high speed. I don't really know i guess.

That diagram looks good. You can switch either the ground or + side with the probe.

I didn't see that one till user42 posted it, and later deleted it.

Sweet, this is how i'll do it then, with the addition of the factory circut breakers between the fan and relays.

Thanks for all your help, I've been looking for weeks on this and never came up with anything simple and clean until this.

I will be using the probe as the ground (once the probe reaches temp it completes ground).

If so..... that probe is NO (normally open) and you have to power the relay on pin 85 (or 86) and the probe to pin 86 (or 85) your choice.
In short; power to relay pin 85, relay pin 86 to probe, probe connects to ground at specified temperature, fan starts turning.

EDIT: The probe in the diagram is a 2 wire probe (thermo switch) and is not connected to ground.

Rudi

Last edited:
The new version with (1 wire) probes to ground
image-2958290954_edit.JPG

Rudi
image-2958290954_edit.JPG

Last edited:
I had mine ran similar with a relay and had multiple failures. I would use a continuous duty solenoid between the hi and battery and use your relay to excite the solenoid. Of course your mileage will vary

Looking at how the ST85 is wired, i'm not sure how you would run the power through the ST85 and into the 40amp relay so the low can work and when the high temp probe grounds the ST85, it would need to switch from powering the 40amp relay, to powering the fan?

I was going to wire it up like your guys schemetics, but the ST85 only has 4 posts and not two 87 locations (no 87a)

For some reason my pdf is an attachment and not just showing up, not sure why?

Attachments

• ST85 relay.pdf
    89.5 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
So Rudi, looking at yours is exactly how I was going to do it with the exception of adding the ST85 for the high speed, but it's only a 4 post relay and doesn't have two 87 posts (87 and 87a)

Last edited:
Aren't these the kind of relays people are reporting melting, so they are moving to the contunious duty solinoid style like the Napa ST85?

Take a look at this pdf for me and see if this would work.

Attachments

• Basically you would be using pin 87 as the Switched.pdf
    145.5 KB · Views: 218

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom