Ford F 1900 starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm trying to sort out a starting issue with a Ford 1900 tractor, about a 1980 vintage. The problem, as best as I can tell, is between the ignition switch and where the wiring terminates at the starter - at the Philips head screw in the photo. When the ignition switch is turned to "start" there is no voltage reaching this terminal.

I've tested the ignition switch and there are 12v going in and 12v coming out at all terminals. Fuses are also good, but I don't know if they're involved in starting circuitry. I tested the starter by applying 12v to Phillips head screw terminal and the starter engaged. Starter is good.

Anyone know if there is a wiring schematic available on this tractor? Or any likely weak points in the wiring? Most of the wiring has been covered with blue paint or I'd have any easier time of tracing things.
JCG_3628.jpg

Check your grounding wire from your battery to the frame and clean it up if needed. Not sure if that will do it, but that is all I got. It has been the problem with my tractor each time I had similar issues.

You might also look for/check neutral safety switches in the system. Possibly a seat safety switch too. Though that's not as likely on a bigger than lawn tractor sized machine.

Nick

So you have 12v on the start terminal of the switch when in the "start" position? If that is the case I would run a wire to the starter solenoid terminal and see what happens. It usually not worth the time to trace a wire and find a short in those old tractors, you risk breaking more brittle old wires.

There may be a clutch safety switch or neutral switch - disconnecting the old wire and running a new one will also bypass these.

Or you can just build a jumper wire and hotwire the solenoid each time - that's what a real farmer would do.

Or you can just build a jumper wire and hotwire the solenoid each time - that's what a real farmer would do.

This is what I've decided to do but with a switch.

I doubt this old tractor has any type of seat safety switch, if it does I haven't seen any reference in the manual. Trying to trace wires will take more time than I have to put in to it.

This is what I've decided to do but with a switch.

I doubt this old tractor has any type of seat safety switch, if it does I haven't seen any reference in the manual. Trying to trace wires will take more time than I have to put in to it.

Now you are just getting fancy :D

You can run a new wire from existing switch, always safer to be in the drivers seat.

Safety first! :beer:

Dug into to today and ran an extra wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid. Sucker cranked right over. This is now the only non-blue paint covered wire on the tractor.
Godwin did you remove the old wire and run the new wire in its place

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom