Ford Ford 300 cid 6 cylinder engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great motors. EFI versions are plentiful, as well. There's probably more of them left on the road from that era than any of the V8 150/Bronco's. They sure have more low-end grunt than the anemic 302 EFI I had in my '91 Bronco. If it were a 300/5-spd, I would probably still be driving it today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 78 short wheel based F-150 4WD with the 300 in it. I loved it. That was the vehicle that hooked me on offroading. The 300 and the 2F have quite a few similarities far as torque is concerned.

great motor... met an aussie guy at the pomona drags one year. had one in a mustang. put down 600hp and spun to 7200rpm. ran somewhere in the 11's

Jusy my opinion but if you want an I-6 for its torque go with the Chevy 292. It hits its torque peak at something like 1600 - 1800 RPM. It is a long under square engine meaning longer stroke (4+ inches) than bore (I think I got that right?). The Ford 300 I-6, as I recall, is almost square; bore and stroke about the same. So, it hits its torque peak at higher RPM.

Other than that, everyone I know with the 300 six loves it. I thought about putting one in a 1964 F-600 but ended up with a 360 V-8.

We had one in an old New Holland 985 combine. Great engine, never needed any work on it. Started great with a little gas down the carb after a year of sitting and ran perfect for the 6 years we've had it.

I have an FI 6 with a ZF 5spd and Borg warner 1356 - I've occasionally thought about this combo in the Cruiser because they are relatively plentiful and cheap to come by. I like my six. Slow but it tows 3 tons nicely.

-Tyler

Great motor. It was in the first truck I ever had. It was our yard truck. Learning to drive manual with that engine and a 4 speed was a total scene. I loved that engine, got me out of all kinds of trouble. It was in an 81 F150 4x4, forget which model though. It had a standard bed, two tone khaki and brown.

I had an 87 Bronco with fuel injected 302 and C6 auto. A friend had an 86 Bronco with carbed 300 I6 and 4 speed manual. Both motors were bone stock. His would outrun mine no problem. The 302s in stock form are poor truck motors compared to a 300. 300 will likely last longer as well.

Also, stay away from 5.0/302's that use TFI (thin film ignition). TFI is known to fail at the most inconvenient moment, shutting the engine off.

That module is a nightmare. We had an 87 Ford Bronco with the I-6 growing up. The module failed two times on us. It was my moms DD, so it was real pain when something goes wrong to a mother with kids in the car. First time, local tow truck guy didn't know what to do, so he tried to push start us and such, that didn't work, so we got a better mechanic to come look at it. Thing is, it was intermittent for about a week. The better guy, had an idea, so when he came out to look, he brought a spare module. That was it, fixed it right up.

Happened again, later on, out of the blue. Worst thing is that the module was over 100 dollars back then, and it completely disables the engine.

That old Bronco is still running today, but not the original motor. It started using oil by the quart, every couple hundred miles. It wasn't burning it though, just blow by, still ran really well, but the aircleaner would be completely full of oil. We pulled it, put in a Ford rebuilt 6, we ran it for a year and determined the rings never seated. It was burning oil by the quart. Fortunatley Ford stood behind it, and gave us another engine, but Dad and I were out the labor of the swap twice in two summers. Still runs pretty good to this day though, although emmisons component issues and carb problems have been a continuing problem. My dad finally sold it to a friend for a beat around rig. Sadly the worst problem with that Bronco is the body rot. A few more years and it will be toast.

You identifying the blue chip modules as the large aluminum box module mounted on the fender well. Seen that go out on dads 86 F250, pricey bugger too, but seemed to last longer than the module on the distributor.

I have a friend that owns a painting company. He had a couple of vans that had those I6 in them. He's had them forever, and the body's on those vans were so ugly and decapitated that he was embarrassed to take them on job sites anymore, and he wanted to get some new vans, but the engines in those things just wouldn't quit. Finally he broke down and sold them and bought one of those Sprinter vans.

I love the 300-6. I put many a mile on one I had in '79 truck. Lots of torque.

Perfect for an off-road vehicle IMO.

Get some decent gearing behind one and you'll be happy.

i have a good friend who is a fulltime mechanic. he loves working on toyotas compared to anything american. when i asked him about wrenching on ford motors he responded:

"theyre all junk, well the 302 is ok to work on and the 6 cylinder 300 is as tough as nails, torquey and easy enough to work on too, i wonder why more people arent using them for offroad"

he mostly builds or 4 wheels mini trucks in mild to ugly mud and narrow trails.
I hope he likes pulling intakes to change a starter thats $600, and the $450 headlight! those are real nice to pay for! Ever try to do a starter on a ToyotaV8? or Lexus? You dont want to have to believe me!Fords 300 is a great low rom lump lump 4x4 engine, with auto trans, low rpm torques not as critical, I recall 302 Broncos and #00 and 170 ! The 250 or 270? is to racers the one to build< forget why? mains I think?But the 6 wont do the long steep climbs as a v8 will! they just flat leave 6 cyls diging in the sand with tires spinning very slowly!

I hope he likes pulling intakes to change a starter thats $600, and the $450 headlight! those are real nice to pay for! Ever try to do a starter on a ToyotaV8? or Lexus? You dont want to have to believe me!Fords 300 is a great low rom lump lump 4x4 engine, with auto trans, low rpm torques not as critical, I recall 302 Broncos and #00 and 170 ! The 250 or 270? is to racers the one to build< forget why? mains I think?But the 6 wont do the long steep climbs as a v8 will! they just flat leave 6 cyls diging in the sand with tires spinning very slowly!

Sense.
This statement makes none.

I'd take a 300 6 over any other American motor any day of the week, and two on Saturdays. Great motor.
A buddy of mine and I often kick around joke project ideas, and one was to build up a 300 stroker and drop it into some nicely restored Chevy to piss the GM crowd all off with our abomination.

Edit: any American-made gasser motor...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom