Ford Ford 300 cid 6 cylinder engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gold Boy

🇨🇦 🇺🇸
SILVER Star
Threads
Ford 300 cid 6 cylinder engine - i here it's quite a good motor, is that true?

:beer:

i have a good friend who is a fulltime mechanic. he loves working on toyotas compared to anything american. when i asked him about wrenching on ford motors he responded:

"theyre all junk, well the 302 is ok to work on and the 6 cylinder 300 is as tough as nails, torquey and easy enough to work on too, i wonder why more people arent using them for offroad"

he mostly builds or 4 wheels mini trucks in mild to ugly mud and narrow trails.

good motors.. but if I were doing a swap, I would not put another six in..

i have a good friend who is a fulltime mechanic. he loves working on toyotas compared to anything american. when i asked him about wrenching on ford motors he responded:

"theyre all junk, well the 302 is ok to work on and the 6 cylinder 300 is as tough as nails, torquey and easy enough to work on too, i wonder why more people arent using them for offroad"

he mostly builds or 4 wheels mini trucks in mild to ugly mud and narrow trails.

that's what i have been told as well - :beer:

good motors.. but if I were doing a swap, I would not put another six in..

yep i know what you mean...

i was thinking about a replacement motor for a unimog, the ford is about the right size...

here is a pic of a mog with a Ford 300 cid 6 cylinder engine

:beer:
forduni.jpg

Last edited:
mace arent you putting a 302 in one of your projets? im guessing based on displacement you could get similar power out of a mildly modified 300.

I think a 300 has applications that it is well suited for. some folks like to spin the tires to keep the lugs clean in the mud, others like torque to chug along on the trail, kind of like a unimog. It maybe a little underpowered for a throwing mud in a heavy vehicle with 44's, but it might be what your looking for i dont know.

mace arent you putting a 302 in one of your projets? im guessing based on displacement you could get similar power out of a mildly modified 300.

I think a 300 has applications that it is well suited for. some folks like to spin the tires to keep the lugs clean in the mud, others like torque to chug along on the trail, kind of like a unimog. It maybe a little underpowered for a throwing mud in a heavy vehicle with 44's, but it might be what your looking for i dont know.
If I was going for a six in my FJ60 I would have kept the LC motor.. I know them a lot better than the ferd six and know how to get one or two ponies out of them.. The 5.0 roller motor I built for Bob will be about 300 hp. And perfectly capable of a 100 hp No2 shot. Something that a six is not as suited for. Then you add the extra weight and size of the 300 and it was nto a hard decision..
Plus, I had the 5.0 already ;)
My gearing will make the 60 crawl very well. And the top end will allow fun times in the sand.

BTW, that is the WORST picture of an engine I have ever seen lol
It could be a BMW twin turbo six in there for all I know :flipoff2:

are you a mogman GB?

Is that your rig? I want a 4door mog. Perfect truck for the wife and kids... :) nice and safe.

Love to see it.. Just too far away to buy. But please post it up here if you can. Thks

are you a mogman GB?

Is that your rig? I want a 4door mog. Perfect truck for the wife and kids... :) nice and safe.

not at the moment, but have come close to buying a mog several times. however i do have savere case of "recurring mog fever" it's a nasty fever one of the symptoms is dreaming about mogs and talking delusional talk to the wife about purchasing one.

that mog with ford engine in it is real nice..... (fever talk)

yer, a 4 door mog would be very very nice and safe....

:D

I agree with Chet, the Ford 300 inline 6 is a long-lasting, torquey, reliable, durable engine. A neighbor of mine had over 500K miles on his Ford 300 I6. My g/f's Dad finally rebuilt his after more than 300K miles on it. That was several years ago, and it's still running. In my opinion, it's definintely one of the best, most reliable engines Ford ever made, and since Ford made a bunch of 'em, parts for them should be easy to find.

I have the 5.0L in my 93 Bronco. The thing about 5.0/302's is that they're notorious for rear main seal leaks. Just go to the Bronco forum where you'll see a write-up with pics on how to do that fun project since it's not too uncommon for the rear main to leak. As for being easy to work on - I don't know what that mechanic is talking about. Most Ford's (including the 5.0/302) are relatively difficult to work on when compared with Toyotas and Jeeps. Just try fixing the EGR tube in the back of one. But maybe he's worked on them so much that he's used to them, though. Also, stay away from 5.0/302's that use TFI (thin film ignition). TFI is known to fail at the most inconvenient moment, shutting the engine off. The 5.0/302 does have lots of parts available (essentially the same engine as the older Mustangs), and has more hp and slightly more torque than Ford's 300 I6.

I drove an F150- plain Jane I6 300, 5 speed manual, for about 7 years. It was a great motor. I was just thinking the other day that it would push a 60 better than stock, and wondered if it would be easier to swap since it is inline. I kind of doubt it, though.

my dad also had one in his 94 F150, my friend colin has been working on too many newer trucks, with the new cab forward design you almost have to pull the engine to change the spark plugs, also some of the newer ford engines have wiring for the injectors through the head cover, apparently not well thought out engineering, definately forot the KISS principle.

Why do you think UPS has used 300's all these years. All that start-stop-go-start-stop-go. I'm thinking of swaping my 390 Fe block with one. But sometimes I need that V8 fix.

---------------------------------------------------------
'72 fj40 long gone
'69 fj40 pretty much stock
'68 f250 Highboy shortbed

i always heard the the early 4.0 such as whats in the explorer was a good motor.yea i like the ford 6.but i have seen them on more than 1 occasion knock at 60 thousand

My 91 Ford f150 was at 610,000 when I traded it in and didn't use oil. I pulled trailers w/ it all the time and had plenty of torque. The 300 has 10 more foot lbs. of tq. then the 302,but,yes the 302 has more hp and that what makes it go fast. Put a trailer on it and the 300 would pass the 302.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom