For Those That Have Added A Rear Wind Deflector... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched and found a few folks out there at have done this, namely in this thread :

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/can-i-install-toyota-lc-rear-air-deflector-on-my-lx470.790521/

My question is for those that have done this, preferably DIY. I picked a complete rear wind deflector off a donor 02 LC at the pick and pull recently. Obviously I'm talking the skinny black one here. I removed everything except the "rivnuts" mounted inside the donor lift gate.

I found the Toyota installation sheet here :

http://www.oempartworld.com/image/data/pdf install/Install instructions PT738-60000 Land Cruiser.pdf

Now if I ordered the part new from Toyota, I'm led to believe from the install sheet that I'd get the 4 rivnuts I needed for the install. Seeing as how I got this on the cheap at the local p&p, I'm in need of rivnuts, or part number 5 in the above linked instructions sheet.

Is this something I can buy at the hardware store? Or would the dealership have these lying around in handfuls? Have to take my LX in for some service, and thought I'd ask them to do the drilling/install while there, but have no rivnuts.

What does everybody else do? TIA

I just installed mine a few weeks ago. But I did order it and got all the parts OEM.

I actually brought the rivet nuts to a local hardware store looking for a tool to install them and 2 different places didn't even know what they were (Ace and a small local one). I ended up banging them in with a hammer.

Sorry I can't help. Perhaps the Toyota dealer can source the part number of the rivet nut and order them. Not sure.

Is this something I can buy at the hardware store? Or would the dealership have these lying around in handfuls? Have to take my LX in for some service, and thought I'd ask them to do the drilling/install while there, but have no rivnuts.

What does everybody else do? TIA

AMAZON all the way! I get my Riv nuts off of there....and I bought a tool form them too.... They are great...I've used them for numerous uses. You can get a descent hand operated tool for about $30 (looks very much like a rivet pliers/gun). Just make sure that the thread pitch on the threaded rods are correct for the Riv nut you will be installing. You need the exact thread pitch for the exact riv nut. Search for Riv nuts and Riv nut tool.

You can install rivnuts without the special tool. Drill the proper-size hole, slip the rivnut in, thread a bolt in, and tighten it. But as you tighten, the rivnut will likely spin with the bolt, as the head of the bolt bottoms out on the rivnut.

So you need a piece of flat steel (or whatever material, something thin that won't bend easily) with a hole in it large enough for the bolt to slip through and spin, and it needs to be long enough that you can hold it with your hand. Slip the bolt through this piece before threading into the rivnut. This allows the head of the bolt and wrench/ratchet to spin without contacting and turning the rivnut, and turning the bolt will pull the rivnut up and mushroom it inside its hole, fitting nice and tight.

I haven't done in on my LC, but I installed a bunch of grab handles in my old Bronco using these, and they worked great.

Prior to this I tried it with washers and nuts like you see in other methods when you search online, but that never worked for me. Once I figured out the deal with the scrap piece, it worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Are these rivnuts reusable or one time deals? Sorry, not familiar with this type of fastener.....The tool is only a few bucks, can I buy a tool and use it to remove the rivnuts from the donor LC, and then use the same tool to reinstall them on my LX?

They're one-time use, as in, you can't remove the rivnut and use it somewhere else. But they're reusable in the sense that it becomes a permanent threaded hole, similar to welding a nut in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom