Flopped on the rubicon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd still fix the tin and make her whole again

I didn't even look back at the pics before this post, nor am I a body man....well, I am, but a different kinda body.....

Anyhow, while the 80 shell (save the windshield cross bar) is tough enough to survive in a violent roll or flop, with redundancy inherent the namesake, it's possible that a PS D pillar crunch could impact the DS roof at the A, B, or C.

Bet a close inspection of the door reveal at hatch and/or DS rear would show movement.

If we're taking about sectioning out the exterior sheet metal, scabbing a patch on, bondo and rattle can, so be it, BUT, my opinion is this type of damage may impact its ability to protect in a more serious roll, in the future.

Once they've flopped, time to bob it, chop it, and cage it......or move on to another that's not been compromised.

Oh, I can only imagine all the underlying damage from the weight of our big girls. I was simply stating it if you were attached to your rig with DD capabilities and wanted to keep the body stock.

I know that spot... I literally can imagine exactly where you flopped. That part of the trail sucks.

related note: I'm heading to fordyce in late August.

I am always amazed that the glass holds up so well in these things!!!! There was a flip over post a few months ago that had all it's glass intact, amazing!!!!

I rolled my 80 1 & 3/4x, not a single panel left undamaged. Only glass that was toast was the windshield and the sun roof.

Cheers

Thanks all for the comments and support. When I get home from work next week I'm going to repair the damaged undercarriage stuff. Both trails were rough on the underbelly. I bent a rear lower control arm, thrashed the exhaust and used the bumpers and sliders to their fullest. I CAN say that metaltech sliders and my 4x4 labs rear bumper more than paid for themselves on this trip. I'll sand down the surface rust that's already formed on the bare metal that I exposed from the rocks and shoot w paint. I'll probably pull the interior pieces (headliner, plastics etc) and see about pounding out the big stuff. Once I get it back together I'll drive it for a bit to see how I feel. I may buy a donor rig to hold onto in the event that I want to swap everything(I've got a line on one already). I'll post up my progress if I go that route.
Thanks again,
Paul

Why paint it? It's a self-healing finish!

Note that rocker panels are not self-healing.

image.jpg

I am always amazed that the glass holds up so well in these things!!!! There was a flip over post a few months ago that had all it's glass intact, amazing!!!!

They one where the kid flipped dads rig? That sunroof glass flexed and you could see the bend and it was till ok. I've never seen glass bend like that and not shatter.

If the body is not twisted and the lines are close you will be amazed at how much of that will come out with some time on a hammer and dollie . the roof line will be toughest but you will be surprised, be patient, search on youtube for a couple examples

what Bogart said.... shaaa are you kidding me!!! get a hammer and go to work.. that looks like the it would be very do-able with some patients and a lil time watching some you tube vids on metal work. think of it as thick tin foil. you can make anything with that stuff.

dang :(

Iirc, the D pillar is not accessible from the inside to hammer out. I would make a curved dolly that can fit up there and screw a puller into it from outside.

Tough deal. Good luck fixing it. I almost did the same thing right after I added a RTT and some fuel and water cans up top..didn't roll it but rested it on the side of the rear bumper in a trench. Everything but the rtt is now off.

Iirc, the D pillar is not accessible from the inside to hammer out. I would make a curved dolly that can fit up there and screw a puller into it from outside.
Good idea. I'll hopefully tear into it soon

@jp_waltz I just read your thread tonight, after I watched a Top Gear episode on the Rubicon (thought I'd see what the mudders had to say about it). Totally sorry about your 80! But, as a family man who wheels with kids, I'm encouraged to see how tough these 80s are!
I have to ask, nine months down the road, how about an update on your rig? Also, would you share with me what your setup was at the time you did this Rubicon trip? I'm curious what size tires, lift, suspension...etc. I would find that data very useful as I'm contemplating my own trip to the Rubicon -hopefully later this year. Thanks!

I know this is an old thread...but like others have said I know that spot well. Hate everything about that whole mountainside. My buddy almost rolled on the way down. On the way up he popped a bead almost in that exact same spot, had to winch him to another rig to keep from going over. Then right after that he snapped another axle shaft (IFS).

15263796972_9de0526744_h.jpg

hardest thing about rubicon is it's three days of not letting your guard down.

a good driver can get through in a stock bj45 with a rear locker but he was paying attention every second of the trail ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom