Flopped on the rubicon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We just finished a trip up north to the fordyce trail and then to the rubicon. As it turns out...my rig got a solid spanking on both. The fordyce was very difficult and we ran out of time to finish. We ran the rubicon over a course of a few days but decided to camp at buck island lake and play around there for a solid day. since we didn't have time to run the whole trail we headed back to loone lake from buck island on our last day. An hour or so into our return trip I ended up flopping my 80 onto its side. An off camber line w a perfectly placed rock as well as a deep V that ate my passenger rear tire, I was over in an instant. I tried to drive out of it but it was a perfect storm of rock placement and there was no avoiding it after it started. I'm not exactly sure how or if I'm going to repair yet as it's still a bit fresh. I chatted w my insurance claims dept yesterday and it looks like it will cost me an arm and a leg to go through them after all is said and done. So...it looks like I'm going to make it "water tight" and run it like it is for now. Any thoughts on how to handle this? Oh and yes...I've thought of cutting it and doing a full cage along w 37's etc but can't afford any of that right now
Pics:
image.jpg

image.jpg

Like you said, seal it up "water tight" and keep on driving. That's some good character right there!

Damn! That really really sucks! I'm trying to envision how your rig tipped. The terrain in the pic doesn't look too "floppy".

Damn! That really really sucks! I'm trying to envision how your rig tipped. The terrain in the pic doesn't look too "floppy".
The pic doesn't do it justice really. It's off camber and there's a deep V near my right rear tire. I'm sure a better wheeler could have pulled it off or not even been in that situation. It was a pretty mellow part of the trail and I just wasn't paying super close attention.

I remember your thread about getting prepped to go and it really sucks that it ended this way. Looks like your PS rear wheel got trapped in the gulley and you tried to make a hard left up the rocks. Your rig has super low miles and many nice mods...I would look into getting a donor and begin swapping out parts once the finances become available. Don't give up on the dream!

I remember your thread about getting prepped to go and it really sucks that it ended this way. Looks like your PS rear wheel got trapped in the gulley and you tried to make a hard left up the rocks. Your rig has super low miles and many nice mods...I would look into getting a donor and begin swapping out parts once the finances become available. Don't give up on the dream!
Thanks....that's probably what I'll end up doing. The dream will live on for sure. It'll just be a little uglier for a bit. I might try to look for a rig w a bad motor and swap mine into it along w all the bolt on stuff. That probably won't be for a while though.

Thanks....that's probably what I'll end up doing. The dream will live on for sure. It'll just be a little uglier for a bit. I might try to look for a rig w a bad motor and swap mine into it along w all the bolt on stuff. That probably won't be for a while though.

On second thought, the damage isn't too horrendous. You might consider sealing it up and tackling the Rubicon a couple more times as well as other notorious trails while you save up for a good collision shop repair. Your rig will look better than new after that and you'll have the carnage trails out of your system! ;)

On second thought, the damage isn't too horrendous. You might consider sealing it up and tackling the Rubicon a couple more times as well as other notorious trails while you save up for a good collision shop repair. Your rig will look better than new after that and you'll have the carnage trails out of your system! ;)
I think that's the route in going to take. I may regear and go 37's first though. I really could have used some more clearance.

I know exactly where you were at. The heavy ass roof rack was the culprit, not the rocks or the bad line you took. I flopped my 40 two decades ago with borrowed roof rack that was loaded pretty heavy. Been through there many times. At this point you have been officially annointed "experienced" and the damage is a green badge of courage. Use a hammer to the best of your ability and smile while your at it. Believe me, it's all you can do unless you walk softly and carry a thick wallet.

Looks fixable with patience and a fair amount of time. And damm, you got lucky with windows still intact! I'd take my time and fix it right, and itll cost you time, a bit of materials, and a paint job if you're lucky on the finish! Gontona wrecking yard and cut out the needed patch panels and go to town. And your pride will jump up doing it yourself as well!

Insurance will total it with that kind of damage unless you have some sort of stated value coverage. The cost to repair it will gobble up what the current book value is.

Oh, you might want to move that water to a lower spot and what was in the big black box up there?

Insurance will total it with that kind of damage unless you have some sort of stated value coverage. The cost to repair it will gobble up what the current book value is.
Ya Dan...I went to a body shop yesterday and that's pretty much why they said. I'm just going to run it the way it is for a bit and enjoy it some more

Oh, you might want to move that water to a lower spot and what was in the big black box up there?
The water jugs were empty and the black case was full of light goods but in hind sight I would try to stuff as much as I could inside.

Crew cab flat bed!

I am always amazed that the glass holds up so well in these things!!!! There was a flip over post a few months ago that had all it's glass intact, amazing!!!!

I am always amazed that the glass holds up so well in these things!!!! There was a flip over post a few months ago that had all it's glass intact, amazing!!!!
Ya I'm very happy all the windows are in tact

SNIP
I'm just going to run it the way it is for a bit and enjoy it some more

Dang, sorry for you, bro. :(:crybaby: Very lucky on the glass situation. If the rear hatch still works and no major leaks you can't silicone, etc, it's bearable. Yeah, a transfer rig to take the donated goodies for the bruised and busted sounds like a plan. There are some deals out there if you don't mind swapping a lot of stuff.

The observations about the non-threatening appearance of this part of the trail and the resulting smackdown are certainly a reminder to take care on the trail during the peak period of backwoods travel. Take care to keep the shiny side up.

Dang, sorry for you, bro. :(:crybaby: Very lucky on the glass situation. If the rear hatch still works and no major leaks you can't silicone, etc, it's bearable. Yeah, a transfer rig to take the donated goodies for the bruised and busted sounds like a plan. There are some deals out there if you don't mind swapping a lot of stuff.

The observations about the non-threatening appearance of this part of the trail and the resulting smackdown are certainly a reminder to take care on the trail during the peak period of backwoods travel. Take care to keep the shiny side up.
Thanks Mike,
I'm also lucky that all the doors and rear hatch still open and close. There might be a spot on the rear passenger door where water could slip by the rubber. I'm not too sure how to address that yet but I'll take a closer look next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom