Flip Window Installation Instructions and Production Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ready when you are sir, But I am going to have to do some fab work on my end. I have removed the side marker light and welded in solid steel where they were. Question as long as the cable is not put in a bind does it really mater where that actuater is located? I was thinking about directly under the window itself somewhere near or in the center as I will have to cut the opening anyway and make a gasket, don't think either will be a problem:D:D:D

When? is the question I have. :clap: And I have no interest in a single side both sides please.

Really want to get them in prior to Dec 1 if it works out Johnny and I are going to the same event, and I know he will want to see this. Doc:) And as I am slow as Chritsmas on instalation I might get Trollhole to assist me anyway. :)

Do you have any thoughts on selling them one side or the other or just as a set? I would like to have access on one side and slider on the other. Maybe someone wants to go in with me?

Good idea but I want both of em!!!:)

any plans for the 80 series?
I know I've covered that quite a bit. :p
But yup, you bet. I don't actually think I'll sell very many 60 window sets, the 80s are the main focus. Since I'm a 60 guy though, we are the guinea pigs for the project. :p I've got the frames all set for the 80s, system and hardware will be the same between the two, just running a few 60s to make sure everything is good and then I'll move to the 80s.

Ready when you are sir, But I am going to have to do some fab work on my end. I have removed the side marker light and welded in solid steel where they were. Question as long as the cable is not put in a bind does it really mater where that actuator is located? I was thinking about directly under the window itself somewhere near or in the center as I will have to cut the opening anyway and make a gasket, don't think either will be a problem:D:D:D

When? is the question I have. :clap: And I have no interest in a single side both sides please.
Cables are long enough to put where you want, if this were a one-time, for me only mod I would have just put the actuator on the back of the truck above the rear taillight, there is a flat spot right there.

I could make you a custom actuator plate that would mount there (I think). Also, if you are looking at a custom mount location there is no need to make a gasket, you can still use a rear marker light gasket, just get another one.
But, if I were mounting it on the back of the body I would not use the marker light shaped mount plate anyway, there is no reason to not take the barrel of the actuator off the plate and then drill/file an accurate mount hole in the location you want and just mount the actuator barrel, it has it's own little gasket.

But, please don't mount the knob right in the middle of the rear quarter panel, I put a lot of work into actuating these as unobtrusively as possible, that would reflect poorly on my design. :flipoff2:
We can go with the flat spot above the taillight or I've also thought that some folks might want to try and run the cables out the bottom of the quarter and mount the actuators in their bumpers.

All just theory though.

But yup, you bet. I don't actually think I'll sell very many 60 window sets, the 80s are the main focus. Since I'm a 60 guy though, we are the guinea pigs for the project. :p I've got the frames all set for the 80s, system and hardware will be the same between the two, just running a few 60s to make sure everything is good and then I'll move to the 80s.

I like the idea of above the tail light and just mounting the actuator as I believe that is a simple round hole. I will just have to check clearance with my swing out tire rig, and the gas can rig on the other side but I think that is golden. Oh come on Kevin;) in the middle would look good:lol: so easy to reach from the side front or back and protected above the tire from side hits remember I am running 2.0 offset so the 12 X 35's hang way out there. But I really do like the rear above the light that is more than likley where it will go. Doc

Cables are long enough to put where you want, if this were a one-time, for me only mod I would have just put the actuator on the back of the truck above the rear taillight, there is a flat spot right there.

I could make you a custom actuator plate that would mount there (I think). Also, if you are looking at a custom mount location there is no need to make a gasket, you can still use a rear marker light gasket, just get another one.
But, if I were mounting it on the back of the body I would not use the marker light shaped mount plate anyway, there is no reason to not take the barrel of the actuator off the plate and then drill/file an accurate mount hole in the location you want and just mount the actuator barrel, it has it's own little gasket.

But, please don't mount the knob right in the middle of the rear quarter panel, I put a lot of work into actuating these as unobtrusively as possible, that would reflect poorly on my design. :flipoff2:(yeah I want to highlight the bling factor))):p:flipoff2:
We can go with the flat spot above the taillight or I've also thought that some folks might want to try and run the cables out the bottom of the quarter and mount the actuators in their bumpers.

All just theory though.

I like the tail light area and just the actuator it's round I believe just a simple hole and mount. That might work really nice, but then there is the bling factor of center of the window and just below well protected by the 2.0 offset 35's below and at least 4 feet from the tail end that hits all the trees, and easy access from the passanger door. Who knows.

welp that settles that! Funds just got moved from the 60 account into the 80 account.:D

welp that settles that! Funds just got moved from the 60 account into the 80 account.:D
Oh c'mon, where's the 60 love?

Is there a good place to put a screen on those windows?
Nope. :D
Here is a copy-paste of a copy-paste:
As for screens, I think I mentioned it in passing a few times, but NO SCREENS. :p

The problem with putting screens on the windows is that if there are bugs, there is usually heat, which means you want as many windows open as you can, that means screens for every window, on top of that, if you are trying to keep bugs out that means you are camping in the truck, so you are going in and out. Every time a door gets opened, the bugs get in.

For comparison, we just have a $6 queen bed sized mosquito net, it's kept in a zip lock back in the back cargo drawer, weighs nothing, is never in the way. The few times we need it, it gets unfurled and attached to the inside roof of the truck. All windows open, lots of venting, no bugs.

With a net it hangs just where you need it and you lift up a corner to get in or out, very few bugs get in that way and the net helps to wipe any bugs off you.

In our case we have that elastic cargo net on the ceiling, so we just keep clothes pins in the mosquito net bag and clip it too that. You could just as easily keep a few magnets in the bag and just stick it to the roof with those when needed.

Much better and much cheaper than screens.
So, no screens. :p

Can you match the LX tint?
Joking. I'm in for the 80 as soon as it's available.
Well actually..... I think so.
With the 80s the plan is to use the factory glass as well. The split sliding windows are a discontinued part, and make the window much harder to deal with/visually sloppy. The Toyota available parts are solid glass and my frame will use those, or a solid metal panel if you want to get rid of the glass.

BADASSS.... I'm a lookin' n I'm a likin', makes me want a 60 series even more! Hopefully, 80 series flip window is next.

I just want my 60 windows to go up like wings, And soon, soon, oh so soon. :)

Kev, would you be open to making a solid set? I don't have the old glass and it would be kinda cool to have a place to mount rotopax or quick fist stuff to the inside? I'm getting more interested as I chase down the leaks in my sliders…..

ROE-JK-WR-2.jpg

I just want my 60 windows to go up like wings, And soon, soon, oh so soon. :)
Well, no reason you can't get set number 002 at this point. Nobodies chomping at the bit for them. They are at the powder coater with Matt's seat box, should be able to pick that batch up tomorrow.

Kev, would you be open to making a solid set? I don't have the old glass and it would be kinda cool to have a place to mount rotopax or quick fist stuff to the inside? I'm getting more interested as I chase down the leaks in my sliders…..

Yup, thus far the only requests for solid replacement panels (still opening though) has been from the 80 guys.
I can easily do the exact same thing as my normal windows but with a solid metal panel. For what you are talking about though it would be even simpler since it would just be a solid panel replacement with the gaskets to bolt in place. The recess would be a bit tricky since it would have to be curved (the outer bit anyway) to match up to the 60 body. (leaving out that step is why all the other aftermarket stuff leaks, it's got to match).
However, that's not that great a spot for all that extra weight though, up high and out behind the rear wheels. Still worlds better than the poser-safari look with cans on the roof rack, but it's better to get them low and forward of the rear wheels.

I'm not thinking for fuel or water but one with a roto pax first aid kit. I hate when you NEED the first aid kit asap and it requires getting thru the food and beer that always seem to be in the way. Just seems like it would be a real asset for a trail rig.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's bordering on the "tacti-cool" there Matt, more something for the FJC crowd. :p
A dedicated spot inside one of the passenger doors or even inside a cargo drawer in the back would make just as much, if not more sense (or a holder on or in one of the side panels easily accessible from a flipped up window....)
One of the safest things you can do in an emergency is slow down a touch anyway, watch out for yourself first.

But, a solid window that still flipped open could have a grid on the inside to attach light weight pouches and cases such as a first-aid kit.
I like the versatility and modularity of being able to reach into the cargo space however you want, but another approach would be the South African/Australian build mentality where a sold flip up panel (or glass for that matter to retain the factory look from the outside) would open up to reveal a specific-use storage cabinet fixed to the inside frame.
Think- a shallow 6-8 inch storage cabinet with velcro and elastic straps on the back wall to hold specific gear or kits in place (such as a first aid kit) but then you could flip down the outer gull wing and have it all locked out of sight, but still easily accessible....

:cheers:
KR

OH

I thought matt was getting number 2, well in that case fire me the invoice and the money will be on the way. Whooo Hoooo Flip up's on the way. Yeah.!!!!:)

Way to step to the plate DOC!

Kev I like the idea of a storage bin behind a solid window better than attached to the outside. That kinda thinking may just be why your my HERO!

Kev I like the idea of a storage bin behind a solid window better than attached to the outside. That kinda thinking may just be why your my HERO!

Matt some time we need to get your rig, mine and Johnny C's all in one place and titile it Wagon Gear Addiction Crew!!! Not to mention both yours and mine are 2FI's similar minds similar course. OK Kevin chat over on your site. By

Doc is just a bit nuts.

I do what I can. The storage cubby will be good for those that want, figured there would be more demand for that with the 80 crowd, nobody has asked after one for a 60 yet.
Which side are you thinking Matt? Passenger or driver?
I'll work on a mock-up.

I thought matt was getting number 2, well in that case fire me the invoice and the money will be on the way. Whooo Hoooo Flip up's on the way. Yeah.!!!!:)
I might have spoke out of turn there Doc...

From the rusty rebuild thread:
Oh and to make this post tech what size hole should I be drilling for the window opener? Now that I know it's on the way.
I forgot you wanted the custom mount location. First off- DON"T DRILL ANY HOLES YET!
If you don't want to use the marker light mount location I will make a set of custom latch plates to go on the back above the taillights. You would then use the plate as a template for the hole location.
Like this:
IMG_0323.jpg

Will work on that....
Will try to make it Doc-proof.

KR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom