Flat Top Roof Racks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here's my flat top rack, which is a custom build. It's great for hauling gear ( surfboards, bikes, furniture, friends) and also accommodates my 2-person ground tent when I want. Best of both worlds really, without the bulk and weight of a RTT up there.

Side view without the tent.
side-mud-2.jpg

With the tent on top.
p1040965.jpg

Here's a detail of the top of the rack, when it was mounted on my HJ61.
rack-1.jpg

Here's my flat top rack, which is a custom build. It's great for hauling gear ( surfboards, bikes, furniture, friends) and also accommodates my 2-person ground tent when I want. Best of both worlds really, without the bulk and weight of a RTT up there.

Side view without the tent.
side-mud-2.jpg

With the tent on top.
p1040965.jpg

Here's a detail of the top of the rack, when it was mounted on my HJ61.
rack-1.jpg
What is the dimension of that roof rack and what brand and model number is that tent?

I don't have a measurement for you but my rack is roughly 1" above the roof. The production version will be about .75" taller to clear the roof ribs that are part of the factory roof rack.

The rear cross bar can be vertical like I have it or laid flat for more clearance like the rest of the crossbars.

as for the design of the wind deflector, I don't have an answer for you but just speculate that it makes it easier to produce and not have any issues with it contacting the roof.

I'm looking at a Tepui RTT to mount to my Prinsu rack. Could you show more pictures of how you mounted the RTT to the Prinsu rack? I've mounted a RTT tent on a Frontrunner rack and we used the two bolts and crossbar clamping method but I thought I may be able to make a U-Bracket for the RTT that would fit over a Prinsu load bar and I could insert screws from the sides through the U-Bracket into nutserts in the Prinsu crossbar to secure the RTT. Sounds like it would work but I've not seen how they are typically mounted.

I'm looking at a Tepui RTT to mount to my Prinsu rack. Could you show more pictures of how you mounted the RTT to the Prinsu rack? I've mounted a RTT tent on a Frontrunner rack and we used the two bolts and crossbar clamping method but I thought I may be able to make a U-Bracket for the RTT that would fit over a Prinsu load bar and I could insert screws from the sides through the U-Bracket into nutserts in the Prinsu crossbar to secure the RTT. Sounds like it would work but I've not seen how they are typically mounted.
Are you going to order your Tepui tent from me? :) You should.

Here's the best photos I have on hand that show how the tent is attached. It uses the fairly standard rails/slides that many of the tents use currently. Each corner has a pair of bolts that slide into the tracks and a stainless flatbar underneath to clamp it down.

Thanks for the pics. When it comes time, I'll order from you. :) It's going to be a while though. Wife found lots of other things to do with the tax return this year and I still need to come up with a way to get it on and off easily. Still have to drive this beast to work.

What is the dimension of that roof rack and what brand and model number is that tent?
Hey @Rudster sorry for the months delay. We had another baby - I got distracted.

The platform is 200cm long by whatever the gutter-to-gutter width is on a 60-series LC. When I bought the 80, my fabricator friend just welded different brackets on the bottom to fit the new truck.

The tent is s North Face 2-person tent. I bought it in Birmingham, England, about 7 years ago, so I doubt they still make it. Two buddies have had the same platform made for their 80's, and they have Kelty tents from the US.

Here's the 60 with the tent mounted:
roof-tent-11.jpg

Here it is on the 80:
kitulo-80-cropped-3.jpg

Here is another local company they make cool racks for a bunch of things.
www.prinsudesignstudio.com

Here are some pics of an 80 series rack they are building.
View attachment 1040278 View attachment 1040279

He's working on a 60 series idea too!

So far those are my favorite platforms

Are they in Utah..? you mention "Local"..

As a "Manufacture" product they are a dream, only a cut off saw, a water/laser cutter/bender (outsourced if necessary, only specific/model parts to have in stock, but they are long but skinny) small long warehouse a "Just-in-time" Inventory system to get the transverse members cut every morning if they have too) and you are in business, brilliant.

Oh if they keep them the natural finish of the extrusion they will not even need to spend time waiting on a second finishing operation..

Transport/shipping/export, well they are IKEA small when the parts are in a box, Brilliantly simple and actually very smart in terms of shipping (we'll even cheaper will be to have a distributor in each continent with the files for the cutting of the longitudinal members and get them made locally..

The 80-20 extrusion system is a little under utilize (and over build) and can be push much, much farther in terms of fit, specific task and modularity (80-20 is not the bases of the fast prototyping shops for nothing) hopefully with time they will have the capital to get their own extrusions made so they can optimized (wind vortex, profile, surfaces, channels, material, etc) lower the cost and/or maximise the profits.

Great effort, plus no more hitting the PVC pipes on parking lots ceilings and not much "wind turbulence" do to the low profile, at least as a customer perspective..

Last edited:
So far those are my favorite platforms

Are they in Utah..? you mention "Local"..

As a "Manufacture" product they are a dream, only a cut off saw, a water/laser cutter/bender (outsourced if necessary, only specific/model parts to have in stock, but they are long but skinny) small long warehouse a "Just-in-time" Inventory system to get the transverse members cut every morning if they have too) and you are in business, brilliant.

Oh if they keep them the natural finish of the extrusion they will not even need to spend time waiting on a second finishing operation..

Transport/shipping/export, well they are IKEA small when the parts are in a box, Brilliantly simple and actually very smart in terms of shipping (we'll even cheaper will be to have a distributor in each continent with the files for the cutting of the longitudinal members and get them made locally..

The 80-20 extrusion system is a little under utilize (and over build) and can be push much, much farther in terms of fit, specific task and modularity (80-20 is not the bases of the fast prototyping shops for nothing) hopefully with time they will have the capital to get their own extrusions made so they can optimized (wind vortex, profile, surfaces, channels, material, etc) lower the cost and/or maximise the profits.

Great effort, plus no more hitting the PVC pipes on parking lots ceilings and not much "wind turbulence" do to the low profile, at least as a customer perspective..
Yes they are in Utah.

Yes they are in Utah.
At least SLC has no "AdVenture Bike" culture, you see a few bikes, but nobody really goes anywhere or at least I have not meet them..

But man the four wheel fever is intense, shops and innovators everywhere you look, well I still need to find some hard core Land Cruiser shop, not because I'm a rock crawler but because I want to support the right people and not the stupid dealership...

One of the best cruiser shops out there is near you.

Cruiser Outfitters
8859 S 1275 E, Sandy, UT 84094

Cruiser Outfitters
Definitely! Cruiser Outfitters is the "go-to" place for all things Cruisers.

At least SLC has no "AdVenture Bike" culture, you see a few bikes, but nobody really goes anywhere or at least I have not meet them..

But man the four wheel fever is intense, shops and innovators everywhere you look, well I still need to find some hard core Land Cruiser shop, not because I'm a rock crawler but because I want to support the right people and not the stupid dealership...
There is actually a decent sized community of adventure bike riders in Utah from what I've seen. I'm not one of them but I know a few. I don't think they are as visible or as active a community online as the offroad crowd but they're out there.

Definitely! Cruiser Outfitters is the "go-to" place for all things Cruisers.
Oh Great, Independent shop I take it..

Do they sell OEM parts too...

There is actually a decent sized community of adventure bike riders in Utah from what I've seen. I'm not one of them but I know a few. I don't think they are as visible or as active a community online as the offroad crowd but they're out there.

I used to "Teach" and help journalist on press releases for BMW/KTM (Advance and navigation) and I give a few free classes (I like to help the community) at the shop in north salt lake (now closed) and the one in Sandy.

Mostly guys, some with motocross background that solved everything with power and sliding the clutch (dry single plate clutch like a old VW, no Bueno) the rest coming from "Chrome" bikes (now that the GS's are such fashion item) that had no clue, i just got tired after a few classes (the shops were using them for PR, more than education and proficiency and safety)

Cruiser Outfitters
Oh a motive for driving right now.

Gracias

I have read their site before (they do need a new web designer, but that is a good sign that focus on the "Real world" not marketing), I just assume it was somewhere far..

Last edited:
They sell oem and the highest quality options available if OEM is not.

Can't go wrong with Kurt. And I don't recommend many shops..

Oh a motive for driving right now.

Gracias

I have read their site before (they do need a new web designer, but that is a good sign that focus on the "Real world" not marketing), I just assume it was somewhere far..
They've been redesigning their webpage for the past few months. I'd imagine it will go live sometime soon.

They sell oem and the highest quality options available if OEM is not.

Can't go wrong with Kurt. And I don't recommend many shops..
No don't tell me you come from Vegas to get you truck service..:)

i just came back from the shop, they are even nice and helpful (just try to go to M&M to buy Festool's and then you will feel the difference if you don't know the secret handshake)

I like them, they will have a business from now on, thanks for the tip, now back to regular programming..

Not flat, but not a cage either. When I needed to put both my spare tires on the roof of my 4runner that came with OEM roof rack rails and bars, I used some 1-1/4" sq 1/10" wall steel tubing I had laying around. I lined up 8 of them, cut them to 5'6" long, marked them at 9" and 4'9"?, then drilled clearance holes for 6mm cap head screws to hold them down to the cross bars. Then on the top side of the bars I enlarged the clearance holes to just large enough to allow the head of the cap screw to go through. That way the cap screw was inside the bar, and only holding through one wall of the tube. Next I marked the sides of the bars every 6 inches. I then drilled 3/8" bolt clearance holes along the center line at the markings. As the holes are on the sides, minimal strength is lost. I then debured all the holes, and ends. Finally I degreased, cleaned, and painted them with Rustoleum paint. I got some extra attachment nuts for the cross bars from Toyota. I either used 6mm dia x 10mm or 15 mm long cap head screws with lock washers to hold the bars to the captive nuts on the cross bars. The 3/8" holes are so I can slip a bolt through, and hook a strap to it, or use it to keep a strap wrapped around the bar from sliding forward or aft.

Even though I made 8 of them, I've only ever used 4 at once when I had the spare tires on one side of the roof, and the kayak on the other. Another time I had kayaks on both sides, and three bars in the middle. I then had duffels strapped to the bars between the kayaks. It makes for a flexible system that stores in a small area when not in use.

I'm not even close to be done with this one...

Is made of 80-20 extrusion profiles, longitudinal beams "3015" (3"x1.5") and the two main stiffener one in the front one at the back of "3030 (3" by 3" massive chunks)

Basic lay out, 4" extending over the back (form a extended platform).
IMG_8572-XL.jpg

My main issues where..

The discrepancy in how wide the roof of polar bear is. (1 1/16") total)
IMG_8672-XL.jpg

Measure it a few times with my own "Caliper" (all the results where repitable)
IMG_8676-XL.jpg

IMG_8685-XL.jpg

And then a way to mount the rack that permite for certain amount of float and deformation of the roof (the platform is massively rigid) that I figure out two nights again I just did not take pictures of it so far.

8 floating/encase but cushion towels, four much rigid that limit the over all height of the roof.

is going to be fun...

"Outriggers" for the kiddos sleep over, loading bicycles on a angle, loading plywood when I have too. and a big Tall fence when we need to carry bags or rigid boxes
IMG_8647-XL.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom