FJC with FJ40 emblems - How does it look ? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i agree with sunfucru, i dont know what peoples trips are , ive owned a 55 and 40 now a fj cruzah they are all cool . maybe its just cruiser envy. i dont think its all of them i think its just the elitest few who feel like they need to belong to something greater.

SunFuCru said:
The emblems look really nice on the fenders. May get some of my own.

That being said, why does it seem that so many (not all) of the owners of old 'FJs' and LCs are such a bunch of jerks? I have never seen a bunch of more obnoxious, mine is better than yours type, anti social snots in all my years of web forum reading. Real shame.

I wish those who feel they need to tear down someone's enthusiasm for their new truck would go and find another forum to do it in.

And this extends well beyond newer Cruisers. Note the many "Heep" references. Jeeps are well equipped vehicles no less worthy of off-road respect. Even the H1 Hummers have had their share of casted aspersions. Some insecure people build themselves up by tearing other people (vehicles) down. This is especially easy if you have a group of like-minded individuals supporting you. It's a bonding experience and it reveals tremendous insecurity. An image of a Cruiser recovering a Jeep is a rallying point.

I have an FJC and love it. I'm looking to buy an FJ40. Does that mean I disrespect everything non-Toyota? No. I don't need to. I have friends with Jeeps and look forward to wheeling with them.

BTW, people with Jeeps do the same thing. If it ain't a Jeep, it's crap. Again, insecure folks. Does this mean we should reciprocate? No.

Why didn't I buy a Jeep? The FJC more appropriately served my purposes, and I like Toyota's reputation for quality and longevity.

Now, everyone go have a few :beer::beer::beer: and wheel with respect! (uhh, not in that order though)

lllateralus said:
In all honesty, (Im a fair and honest guy!) I didnt know that there was so much enthusiasm for those large older cruisers.

They sure look like they can 'hold their own' off road, to say the least.

If anyone can provide me with a link that explains in detail the history of the recent land cruisers, (80+) I would appreciate that. I'd like to read about the differences in the 80, 100, the years they were available etc.

lllateralus,
For more information on the later "wagons" (FJ80, FZJ80, UZJ100) you can read the "Newbie guides" on the Slee off-road web site. There is a link in the 80-Section FAQ. You are also encouraged to read the 80-section threads that interest you, like the "wheeling pictures" thread someone else posted.

We often get new owners with the same enthusiasm about the 80s as you have with your FJC. They are all Toyotas and they are all good vehicles; each with their unique features that make one better than the other when comparing like features.

I appreciate your willingness to learn the history of the Land Cruisers, foreign models and US versions, as that is an important part of the heritage of the FJ Cruiser. As time goes on, the FJC very likely will be embraced as a true "Land Cruiser" (whatever that means.)

The widespread acceptance of the FJC by the Cruiser community will largely be up to you and your peers as you guys begin to learn the mechanical details and the vehicle capabilties. The FJC will evolve as you begin to build them for a specific purpose. Toyota will (hopefully) continue to improve the FJC and give it more capabilities. The base platform is outstanding; Prado & 4Runner are well respected around the world as is the Toyota name. The FJC has a unique "look" that some hate but most love; though few are ambivilant about the appearance.

As you get more and more into this hobby you will appreciate the earlier 40 Series for what they are. To you they may look old-fashioned and incapable. Truth be known, a stock FJ40 is not much fun to drive and they wouldn't do well on the trails. Add a 3" lift and some off-road tyres (2 mods :D) and a "stock" FJ40 does very well on the trails.

Most of the 40 Series enthusiasts here on 'Mud have heavily modified their rigs and your "2 mods" FJC and my heavily modded 80-Series are no match on the trails. To begin with, we are both too wide and we are typically reluctant to accept body damage. A built 40 Series is an awesome off-road vehicle. Their owners are rightfully proud of the Land Cruiser heritage and some feel the 40 was the "last" Land Cruiser. IMHO, those of us that are FJC enthusiasts need to be patient, contrite, and earn their respect. It will happen.

... enough rambling for now ...

-B-

Last edited:
Since it was well put, I'll let beowulf have the last word.

With the 120 platform, I learned alot and gained a ton of experience from keeping an open mind. With my 80, I do the same. Learning and wrenching on the 120 rigs has helped me w/ the 80 and vise-versa.
Keeping an open mind about all Land Cruisers benefits you in ways not immediately recognizable.

The more I learn; the more I understand that I don't know much at all. What sounds illogical as a noobie, makes alot of sense once you hit the trails. Many people have walked this path.

Again, this topic is well covered in-depth and the minutae of opinion covered in chit-chat.
Respect goes both ways, courtesy is something you can do as a matter of course.

BeoWolf, I understand what you are saying and ill try to leave it at that. (or this!)

But I would like to say that I am not a newbie at off roading. Ive owned a few Toyota 4X4 pickups in the last 10 years, and wheeled them to death. (yet they never seem to die)

A good buddy of mine who drives a Rubicon also has an FJ40 with an old 327 Vette motor in it. Its in good shape, although it needs a little work, and his dumbass doesnt appreciate it (enough) and its been sitting outside with the top removed for about 2 years in the rain and the elements. Its a shame, as it is a classic beast in good condition that deserves better.

Also Calamaridiog, for the record, Ive never refered to the 80 series+ as a soccer mom cruiser. I knew they were an off roader, (it IS a LC) but I guess I didnt think there was as much enthusiasm as there is. With a lift and tires, they sure look like a different beast.

0217690b1.jpg

Starbucks is gettin hard to find nowadays....

I like it how it looks but I can find better ways to spend 40 bucks.. and the one on my 40 aint going off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom