FJ80 Door Card Speaker Clearance (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to upgrade the stero in my 1992 FJ80, currently overseas for work and looking to purchase components ready for my return.

Question is does anyone know the max depth of speakers - basically from door card trim to glass of Windows wound down, for front and rear doors?

I know you can get spacers for the external side but keen to known what I'm string with.

Thankyou

I ran a set of Polk db521's and it was pretty close... There's definitely a thread about this somewhere.

For reference: the polks are 2-5/16" deep in a top mount configuration. I think as long as you stay thinner than that you'll be fine.

Perfect thanks - they are the same series of speakers I am looking at! I'll search for thread

I fit the shallow IDQ65CS Image Dynamics 6.5 components in my doors by slipping the provided thin spacer between the door card and the sheetmetal. It clears the window track with a 1.95" top mount depth.

Pics
20160930_103548_001.jpg
20160930_103616_001.jpg

Nice install @Notch !
Thanks, They sound super clean and make some real punchy bass with a small Alpine digital amp behind them. The doors are HEAVILY sound deadened and insulated. Sounds like a fridge door when you close them.

I am looking to upgrade the stero in my 1992 FJ80, currently overseas for work and looking to purchase components ready for my return.

Question is does anyone know the max depth of speakers - basically from door card trim to glass of Windows wound down, for front and rear doors?

I know you can get spacers for the external side but keen to known what I'm string with.

Thankyou

They are about 3inches deep. I had to use 1/2' spacers for my JBL's

Brandon98: I installed Dynamat on the outer door skin (internal surface), about 50% coverage; did not put any on the lower 10-12 inches. Sprayed 3M Rustfighter (for rustproofing) on the lower section of the door skin (internal door cavity) and on all the seams inside the door.

I did my front and rear doors like this:

-30%-40% coverage on all inside surfaces of this stuff. It blows Dynamat out of the water. Full coverage is silly with constrained layer products.
-1/2" of closed cell foam, full coverage
-1/8" of mass loaded vinyl hanging from the top 1lb/ft2, full coverage
-1/8" closed cell foam under door panel, full coverage

I am always thoroughly impressed when I see sound deadening of this level ^^ But something that I can't shake is that most people do not pay attention to the glass. Our vehicles are fish bowls! Do you have a lot of noise radiating through the glass or does the thickness sufficiently keep it out?

Moot point, isn't it? I can't really fathom doing anything to the glass on something meant to be driven that already has usable windows in it. Good sound treatments make more than enough difference for my modest tastes. I don't even have a sub, just nice sounding 6.5s up front on an amp and some cheap Polk coaxs in the rear run off an Android headunit internal amp.

I fit the shallow IDQ65CS Image Dynamics 6.5 components in my doors by slipping the provided thin spacer between the door card and the sheetmetal. It clears the window track with a 1.95" top mount depth.
Nice install Notch...Where did you install the crossover that comes with the system? I really like the system and i have read your feedback on amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom