fj80 Diesel Swap MPG rating?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by codiesel, Aug 14, 2006.

1. codiesel

codiesel

Hey guys, new to this and I am thinking of buying a FJ80 to do a diesel swap on it. I do have a few concerns I wonder though.

Would you guys suggest a certin year over others. I think its what, 94 or 93 when Airbags were installed. I would think that would be a nice feature, but not a must. Anyway, are there any key reasons? I know also that the new engine will have to be the same year or newer which points me to my next question.

I would be switching from a Expedition at about 12mpg on a nice day haha. Anyway, with the 4bt swap what would I be looking at gas wise? Do any other engines offer better ratings on swaps that have been done?

I guess it comes down to this. With all the newer vehicles coming out in the next two years or so that will be diesel, is it worth the time and effort to buy a FJ80 and do the swap. My man goal in my next vehicle is to have something that I can run veggie oil off of. I want to take advantage of that and with so many places offering biodiesel around here I figure why not make the change and do my small part.

I am interested in all the thoughts you may have.

2. Riad

Riad SILVER Star

Give Proffitts Cruisers a call. Or do a search on Cummins or Diesel. You want to get a 93 model so you can get a used 4BT engine. Yes there will be Diesel Vehicles in near future but none of them even come close to an 80.

3. mot

mot SILVER Star

Welcome!

Let me take a stab at it here...

From purely economics' point of view I would go for the oldest (is it '90 or '91 here?) 80 you can find with crapped out engine, etc... with body and other non-powertrain parts in good condition, unless you want airbags ('95 was the first year)

And I do believe that the donor engine would have to come from a newer model year vehicle.

I could be wrong, but 4bt would not produce enough oooomph for the 80. If you want to stay with Toyota, then you would have to consider at least HZJ or 1HD-T.

I have heard from the Canadian guys that a normal 80 with 1HD-T can get somewhere around 24mpg. But obviously it depends on how heavy your right foot is.;)

I have the 1HD-T motor in my 80 (I'm from/in Japan) and I am very pleased with its performance. Not to say that the gasoline counterpart is a slouch by any means.

I think if you want to go with 1HD-T and have somebody do the job you're probably looking at spending $10,000US, if not more.

Anyway, good luck!
    Also, you might get a better/more response in the diesel section.

Good luck!

Mot

4. mot

mot SILVER Star

Maybe I was thinking of a different 4BT. :D

5. codiesel

codiesel

Well, from what I have been told by proffitts I am looking at 20-24 mpg with the 4bt...roughly. Toyota engine, don't want to deal with the lack of parts on a Sunday in the sticks haha.

6. parabola

parabola

Excuse my thread hi-jack, but are emissions regulations the reasoning behind the "same or newer" engine swap rule? I've never heard of this.

7. codiesel

codiesel

Yea.....if the engine is of newer design, ie same year or newer it will pass.

On a side note, those with the 6bt, what mpg do you get roughly and its it worth the jump up to that motor?