fj80 Diesel Swap MPG rating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, new to this and I am thinking of buying a FJ80 to do a diesel swap on it. I do have a few concerns I wonder though.

Would you guys suggest a certin year over others. I think its what, 94 or 93 when Airbags were installed. I would think that would be a nice feature, but not a must. Anyway, are there any key reasons? I know also that the new engine will have to be the same year or newer which points me to my next question.

I would be switching from a Expedition at about 12mpg on a nice day haha. Anyway, with the 4bt swap what would I be looking at gas wise? Do any other engines offer better ratings on swaps that have been done?

I guess it comes down to this. With all the newer vehicles coming out in the next two years or so that will be diesel, is it worth the time and effort to buy a FJ80 and do the swap. My man goal in my next vehicle is to have something that I can run veggie oil off of. I want to take advantage of that and with so many places offering biodiesel around here I figure why not make the change and do my small part.

I am interested in all the thoughts you may have.

Give Proffitts Cruisers a call. Or do a search on Cummins or Diesel. You want to get a 93 model so you can get a used 4BT engine. Yes there will be Diesel Vehicles in near future but none of them even come close to an 80.

Welcome!

Let me take a stab at it here...

codiesel said:
Would you guys suggest a certin year over others. I think its what, 94 or 93 when Airbags were installed. I would think that would be a nice feature, but not a must. Anyway, are there any key reasons? I know also that the new engine will have to be the same year or newer which points me to my next question..
From purely economics' point of view I would go for the oldest (is it '90 or '91 here?) 80 you can find with crapped out engine, etc... with body and other non-powertrain parts in good condition, unless you want airbags ('95 was the first year)

And I do believe that the donor engine would have to come from a newer model year vehicle.

codiesel said:
I would be switching from a Expedition at about 12mpg on a nice day haha. Anyway, with the 4bt swap what would I be looking at gas wise? Do any other engines offer better ratings on swaps that have been done?
I could be wrong, but 4bt would not produce enough oooomph for the 80. If you want to stay with Toyota, then you would have to consider at least HZJ or 1HD-T.

I have heard from the Canadian guys that a normal 80 with 1HD-T can get somewhere around 24mpg. But obviously it depends on how heavy your right foot is.;)

I have the 1HD-T motor in my 80 (I'm from/in Japan) and I am very pleased with its performance. Not to say that the gasoline counterpart is a slouch by any means.

codiesel said:
I guess it comes down to this. With all the newer vehicles coming out in the next two years or so that will be diesel, is it worth the time and effort to buy a FJ80 and do the swap. My man goal in my next vehicle is to have something that I can run veggie oil off of. I want to take advantage of that and with so many places offering biodiesel around here I figure why not make the change and do my small part.
I think if you want to go with 1HD-T and have somebody do the job you're probably looking at spending $10,000US, if not more.

Anyway, good luck!
Also, you might get a better/more response in the diesel section.

Good luck!

Mot

Riad said:
Give Proffitts Cruisers a call. Or do a search on Cummins or Diesel. You want to get a 93 model so you can get a used 4BT engine. Yes there will be Diesel Vehicles in near future but none of them even come close to an 80.

Maybe I was thinking of a different 4BT. :D

Well, from what I have been told by proffitts I am looking at 20-24 mpg with the 4bt...roughly. Toyota engine, don't want to deal with the lack of parts on a Sunday in the sticks haha.

Excuse my thread hi-jack, but are emissions regulations the reasoning behind the "same or newer" engine swap rule? I've never heard of this.

Yea.....if the engine is of newer design, ie same year or newer it will pass.

On a side note, those with the 6bt, what mpg do you get roughly and its it worth the jump up to that motor?

I'm driving a 1993 FZJ80 with the 4BT and the (mechanical) VE fuel pump. Here are some thoughts / responses to the thread above:
  • MPG: I'm averaging 21 but still producing quite a bit of soot (fuel mix + effeciency can still be better). This MPG should be put in context: I don't drive agressively and the vehicle has ~3.5" of lift, 35" tires + heavy bumpers F&R. The tires help with correcting the gearing for the diesel but the other mods do add drag / weight. I've seen MPG as high as 28 when keeping revs below 2k on the freeway (~55mph).
  • I would recommend the 1993-94 model years: these got the full-floater rear axle and disk brakes that were missing in earlier 91-92s while still avoiding the hassle of airbags and other "upgrades" found in 95 and later years.
  • Emmissions: I live in WA state (King County) where my 1993 still does have to pass emissions (anything newer than 25 years) to get tabs. Despite my gas title, I was suprised that the test facility just put me in the diesel test queue and didn't even ask what motor I was running. They only cared about the exhaust output. Using a fuel additive, I got my opacity below 40% and passed the test.

Why go with 4 holes when you can have 6 cheaper? The 4bt is noisy, under powered and it vibrates a lot. Tune up a 6bt easily to 250hp and 500lb/ft and put a million miles on it while you average 20mpg. A phenomenal engine!

The 4BT / 6BT debate has a number of nuances but baldilocks is right: used 6BT motors are available for a bit less cash and do produce more HP + torque compared to the 4-banger. Worth considering:
  • the 6BT is heavier than the factory 1FZ and places a lot of that additional weight forward of your front axle
  • the 4BT weights roughly the same as the 1FZ and sits almost fully behind the front axle
  • the 4BT can average 21-24 (my experience) while the 6BT averages 17-20 (reported)... a serious difference in range!
  • I've got the (larger) 6BT ballancer on my 4BT and don't find it to vibrate badly at all
  • a stock 4BT is about 105HP + 270lb/ft torque (which works for me) but can be easily amp'ed with all the same mods as a 6BT ... injectors, p-pump and larger turbo can easily go 180HP + 460lb/ft torque without stressing the motor
On the flip side, the 6BT does have advantages:
  • the 6BT turbo location makes for fewer packaging headaches (better clearance at the firewall, eaiser exhaust routing)
  • the 6BT will cost you about $1k less up-front for the used engine (based on a quick eBay survey)
  • with the same mods noted above, you can take a 6BT to 250hp + 550lb/ft ... but I think that's too much for an FZJ80 (IMHO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom