fj62 t-case Vac to manual shift (the answer using all toyota parts) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Today - I pulled the transfer case off the 2F ( manual linkage ) and the 3B ( 62 style transfer case - although pulled out of a 61 )

There are some unique differences..
Larger issues.. ( many stated above )
- The lengths of the shafts are definitely different.. the 62 shaft which was made for the vacuum shift is almost an inch shorter- and it is indexed on the backside to maximize clearance between the vac shifter and the driveshaft behind it.
- The rod that the shifter shafts ride on is longer.
- The High Low lever in the 60's is pointed in the direction of travel in the vehicle in neutral.. and indexes right and left to change gears.. the 62's lever points towards the drivers ( US system ) side .. 90 degrees different- forward and back to actuate.
- The manual shaft has very significant detents in it for the ball/springto hold in gear. When I was reading.. I definitly had a different idea ( in my head ) about these denents than what was actually on the shaft.. I will attach a photo below so those off you who haven't seen one can visualize it better..

Smaller differences-
- The bolts that hold the transfer case to the gearbox have a 17mm as opposed to a 19mm head. Who knows.. Probably no big deal .. The lengths were identical.

I didn't have a rebuild kit.. I carefully saved and cleaned the gaskets - picked between the best ones.. and reinstalled them.. I couldn't ( in my cases ) find any noticeable differences in the principal gears or bearings.. ( Other than the actuating system / rod which we talked about earlier )

It took me 5 hours to pull both of them.. lay them out nicely.. clean them.. pick between the two to find the better bearings.. ( one was KOYO one was NACHI .. never use nachi if you can help it .. they seem to be a lower quality bearing ) and reassemble them both onto their respective engines.. The better ones stayed with the 3B.. I will sell the rest as parts.. 2F H55F Trasnfercase-

Photos below and in the previous posts..
1. Jammer and me.. pulling the beast- I had to use a come-along to hold the tail of the transfercase to adjust the angle.. We wouldn't have gotten it out without it..
2. Transfercase out in order of assembly.. note bearing puller.. very tight tolerances to pull the main shaft bearing.. this puller is key.. gentle and effective -
3. Face off.. back plate still in place -
IMG_4990.jpg
IMG_4992.jpg
IMG_4993.jpg

Last edited:
1. 5th gear area..
2. Note detents.. much deeper than I assumed they would have been..
3. I cannot imagine doing this with a cherry picker.. you have to get it very very high and pretty angled to get out.. It would be at the ends of its travel and tippy.. My cherry picker was used to move the other engine around while I swapped -
IMG_4995.jpg
IMG_5003.jpg
IMG_5001.jpg

you can take all the mechanical linkage parts from the 60 series case and make them work with the 62 case. the late 60 stuff is a bolt-in, the early 60 linkage will require some mods.

georg

georg i know this is an old thread but what would the "late 60" vintage be? post '87? '88?

"late"when they went to the longer extension housing on the back of the 4spd, same length as the 5spd. so iirc it's 6/85 and up.
hth
georg

5/85 up .... :D :rolleyes:

And FWIW, I've looked at a couple of 4/85s that had the newer style, but their serial #'s were only 100 or so earlier than my 5/85 ... And they all ended up in So. Cal ! :clap:

Buy the tap before you start the conversion.. You more than likely won't find it locally..
Is the spring on the shift fork on the 62 tranny just to accomodate the shift on the fly?

Is the spring on the shift fork on the 62 tranny just to accomodate the shift on the fly?
Not exactly. It is to accommodate the powerful but stupid vacuum powered shifter.

Not exactly. It is to accommodate the powerful but stupid vacuum powered shifter.

What spring are you talking about...? havent seen one...

Ugh.. A long time ago in a galaxy far away my small brain may have had a better mental image of the internal workings of aforementioned transfercase but I will do my best.
I think there is a spring that allows the vacuum diaphragm to close and apply pressure and the spring yields but then pushes the shift fork in when the cogs align. It is internal and will require some dis-assembly to see..

Yes, what Kief said. It is the spring that actually shoves the 2/4WD fork forward.

lemme try to get a pic to work.

Here's the link to the parts drawing. I forget how to get it to appear on 'mud normally.
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/diag_AE6CNt.png

The spring is part #36313R.

Last edited:
Yes, what Kief said. It is the spring that actually shoves the 2/4WD fork forward.

lemme try to get a pic to work.

Here's the link to the parts drawing. I forget how to get it to appear on 'mud normally.
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/diag_AE6CNt.png

The spring is part #36313R.

Link does not show.
I have applied Manual vacuum to both sides of the shifter actuator, and it stays in either place even over night, witch leads me to believe there is no spring action to either 2 or 4x4....

The vacuum shift rail utilizes a spring to buffer the fork engagement. The spring has no other function.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids

Buffer.. That sounds like such a gentle term Georg-

Hmmm..
"Yeah, I like your FJ62 you have here but seeing as it has one of them "buffer springs" on the 4WD I'm gonna offer you $1500 instead of your asking price of $8000- Its the weak link of these babies.. "

I'll have to remember that next time I find a nice '62 ;)

Has anyone made a sleeve to extend the shaft the extra inch?

I can't see it being to hard, it would also mean not having to mod the levers.

Rehashing this -

To do this properly, the parts on the actual transfer case that need to be purchased are:

-4wd/2wd shift linkage/collar out of a 5/85 USED or NEW?
-Seal
-boot
-detent ball/spring/cap
-m15x1.5 tap

Are all these parts available new? I'd hate to disable an entire case just for a conversion.

EDIT I looked up the prices and numbers on ToyoDIY and it's cheaper to buy a whole case than that shaft and fork. It's possible to convert a Manual shift case to vacuum shift with the parts you remove from the 62 case, right?

Last edited:
Ok, so Has anyone actually made a write-up with pics and such for this mod? I'd be interested in doing this as well.

I'll do it when I get the parts. It's not hard.

I bought the 4wd shift fork to convert a 62 case, but the next day I actually ended up getting a smoking deal on an 87 case so it's not going to happen any time soon

I bought the 4wd shift fork to convert a 62 case, but the next day I actually ended up getting a smoking deal on an 87 case so it's not going to happen any time soon
Oh great! Trying to work out what I'm going to do. I'm doing a 12ht conversion in a FJ45. I have a HJ61 donor is there any way to make it work with the FJ transfer on the HJ box??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom