FJ62 Gas Tank Options/Diagnosis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New here. New to the world of Land Cruisers. Tried to find some guidance in previous posts, but didn't see anything that helped me out.

I have a recently purchased 1989 FJ62 that is in excellent condition. Runs incredibly well except for one issue. When the gas gets below a third of a tank and I take right turns, the engine loses power briefly. It only happens on right turns and only when the tank is low(ish). The gas guage is completely incorrect as well. When I fill up at half a tank, I'm only able to get 7 gallons in. I'm assuming something has gone wrong with the baffles in the tank or there is serious issue with gas flow to the pump because of sediment. If anyone else has thoughts on what this could be besides a bad gas tank, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Upon speaking with my local mechanic, the tank for the vehicle is discontinued. I'm wondering if the tank for the FJ60 is compatible and if those tanks are available? I have seen the Man A Fre extended range tank, but they are pricey and will require some additional work to replace and cause me to lose the spare tire mount.

Search this forum - much info on fuel tanks and using 60 tanks in 62s.

I would drop your tank, pull the sender, and look around inside carefully. Might be something simple. I would not rush to replace the tank until you see what sort of shape it's in, internally.

Check and see if the gas tank recall has been done for your 62. Use search feature to get the information on the recall.

I would drop your tank, pull the sender, and look around inside carefully. Might be something simple. I would not rush to replace the tank until you see what sort of shape it's in, internally.

X2....the fuel pump has a sock on it, and it sits low in the tank. drain the tank and pull it. can't say much more without more info.

I'm wondering if the tank for the FJ60 is compatible
Fuel tank from a 60 will fit in a 62, but will not have the fuel pump mounting cutout/baffles, so not an option for you.
The gas guage is completely incorrect as well
The float on the sender is adjustable. The FSM gives the info to do this, and I think the info/link was in a recent thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom