FJ62 Dash pad cover...what are your thoughts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in need of a new dash for my 89 fj62 and came across several dash pad covers ( links below). It says they fit directly on top of the existing dash. Has anyone installed one of these? If so, what are your thoughts(i.e. Looks, fit, etc.)? Could you post a picture of what it looks like?

Thanks

FJ62 Original Style Dash Cover
SOR has one too.

I've seen them on 60's... The fit and finish is great. I can't imagine the 62 caps would be different. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Someone with first hand knowledge will chime in soon though. You may be able to get a new dash too. I think there's a few left. But they are not cheap.

The photos I have seen show it as a lot lighter in color - more like 'milk chocolate' than 'dark chocolate'. But, flash photography can mess with things like that. So, color match could be an issue.

There are quite a few guys that have used them in 60s and 62s on here. Most feel that fit/finish is fine and normally it completely covers the old pad (other than small corners/edges here and there) and thus is completely unnoticeable. I plan to purchase one for my 60 when I get around to removing the dash.

You CAN do it while the dash is still attached to the truck but some have shown that it is easier if you remove the dash and do outside the truck. Be VERY careful about use of glue/adhesive as you only really want corners/edges done so that it can expand/contract with heat and cold if/when you do do it.

I'd be curious about longevity. My dash lasted 25 years before it cracked, and had I been careful I'm sure it would've lasted much longer. Resistance to sun fade would be a factor too.

@KotaKruiser lots of threads out there on removing the dash, gotta use the search function bro. Ultimately, there is like 6 bolts/nuts that have to be removed along with the instrument cluster and control panel and it will pop right off. Grab the manuals (see links in my sig) and start reading. Not to sound like an a$$hole but don't create an account to have us do the work for you, do some search and ask questions when you hit a bump that you can't seem to figure out. We are all happy to help and there is a WEALTH of knowledge on here if you take the time to look.

@KotaKruiser lots of threads out there on removing the dash, gotta use the search function bro. Ultimately, there is like 6 bolts/nuts that have to be removed along with the instrument cluster and control panel and it will pop right off. Grab the manuals (see links in my sig) and start reading. Not to sound like an a$$hole but don't create an account to have us do the work for you, do some search and ask questions when you hit a bump that you can't seem to figure out. We are all happy to help and there is a WEALTH of knowledge on here if you take the time to look.

@gregnash Thanks for the warm welcome to the cruiser community. I only searched for about two days on here and the rest of the internet before I figured I might try asking for help. I ended up figuring it out on my own yesterday anyway.

@gregnash Thanks for the warm welcome to the cruiser community. I only searched for about two days on here and the rest of the internet before I figured I might try asking for help. I ended up figuring it out on my own yesterday anyway.

Well you gotta kinda expect it when you registered yesterday to ask a question without stating you had done any searching...
Oh and 4th item down on my search of "dash pad removal" in the 60 forum produced. Dash Pad Removal / Weird Electrical Issues
Which one guy states where they are after I had posted. If you get your panties in a bunch here then definitely stay away from places like Pirate4x4 or ExpeditionPortal forums.

Well you gotta kinda expect it when you registered yesterday to ask a question without stating you had done any searching...
Oh and 4th item down on my search of "dash pad removal" in the 60 forum produced. Dash Pad Removal / Weird Electrical Issues
Which one guy states where they are after I had posted. If you get your panties in a bunch here then definitely stay away from places like Pirate4x4 or ExpeditionPortal forums.

Got it. I guess I just expected help sans-attitude as I've seen on all the other forums on this site. Sorry for being so stupid and irritating to you. I do appreciate the link to the FSM though. The good news is that this motivated me to better document the disassembly of the dash so that I can post the process in more detail and hopefully someone else can find that useful.

Got it. I guess I just expected help sans-attitude as I've seen on all the other forums on this site. Sorry for being so stupid and irritating to you. I do appreciate the link to the FSM though. The good news is that this motivated me to better document the disassembly of the dash so that I can post the process in more detail and hopefully someone else can find that useful.
Alright, yup I was an a****** with that (truthfully).... but I think you can get the idea when someone comes into the forum and first post with no intro no "Hi, I got a dumb question but..." or anything like that just straight asks for a how-to on something like this.

You will find that we are all more than willing to help in those areas that have been rehashed multiple times it you at least make it look like you have tried to find that info. We all were complete newbies to these trucks at one point and started with dumb and simple questions; but we are more apt to help if you make the effort up front. So apologies for the attitude. Now let's see that write-up you were talking about.

Personally, I would get a new OEM dash while they are still available. (And I can't believe they are still available).

Gray/blue only but so worth it when you see it and touch it.

Are they still available OEM ?? What is the cost?? If not OEM where can you get a reasonable facsimile??
Thanks

Hi, One bit of advise. UV kills the dashes in any car ,I've used a screen everyday in the summer and my dash still looks great. You get used to putting it up in the dash and it also keeps the car cooler. Mike

Has anyone seen the replacement ones from SOR?? How do the compare to factory??
While on the topic how does the SOR upholstery look??

Has anyone seen the replacement ones from SOR?? How do the compare to factory??
While on the topic how does the SOR upholstery look??

My 62 has a SOR carpet dash cover and it does the job. I'm not sure if you're referencing the dash caps though. The quality is fine and I don't feel like they look as tacky in real life as they do on the website. Definitely a small price to pay for the protection. Mine is over the original, uncracked dash so it is not glued down. Even with the windows down at 70 mph there is almost no movement.

Here it is in the car and compared to the original dash in gray.

32212342916_c3098a48b1_k.jpg

32131392111_a5327a47b9_k.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom