FJ62 body onto FZJ80 frame/drivetrain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What would be the difficulty or issues with taking a 1993+ FZJ80 rolling chassis with engine/trans/etc. and swapping a FJ62 body onto it? Are the frames the same length/width or would there be some chopping involved?
Any other info on it would be great!

I know the likes of ICON have done it... so while they certainly go all out on their projects it is do-able (and makes reasonable design/engineering sense to do so). I don't have personal experience with a swap like that though.

It's been done a few times. Search should provide the build threads.

No personal experience with this, but I read somewhere that the frame on an 80 is shorter so it would have to be lengthened for the 60/62 body to fit. But I don't know the specifics but I am very interested in this too.

The 80 series frame need to be shortened by about 5". Search for Manuchao he has done exactly what you are talking about.

Dyno

Any specifics on the width and/or EXACT dimensions? Is there clearance for the FZJ80 engine with the firewall on the FJ62?

Any specifics on the width and/or EXACT dimensions? Is there clearance for the FZJ80 engine with the firewall on the FJ62?

Yeah there was a thread that just popped up recently where someone was undertaking this but leaving the 80 frame unmolested and working to extend the back of the 60 body. There is a seller on eBay that is selling 60 series frame plans that may help with your information and give you an idea of what is needed. Basically from what I understand is you have to shorten the 80 frame a bit and move all the body mounts to fit properly. Once that is done then you have to rework the suspension so that it will line up with what you need (either keeping the coilover or swapping to leaf springs).

Waggoner5 also had an incredibly detailed build thread.

I've seen people do this swap and think it is really cool, but I wonder if a custom coilover suspension would be cheaper and yield a superior product?

I am going to add fzj80 frame and axle suspension points to the front of my fj55. way easier to set a pair of spring buckets and shock hoops; locate some radius arm brackets etc than to completely redo the frame and body mounting points. My 2 cents

I've seen people do this swap and think it is really cool, but I wonder if a custom coilover suspension would be cheaper and yield a superior product?

Might. Cheaper though, doubt it. You can do the 80-60 swap for the cost of shop consumables and some steel.

As others have said, shorten frame 5", extend it in the back 5". Cut all body mounts off and make new ones. I wouldn't take that on unless you are confident in your welding skills.

If anybody is interested, I got an real nice rust free 80 frame here I prep'ed for this swap. All body mounts cut off the frame. I was going to do coilovers in front so I cut off the front suspension brackets too. Rest of the frame is untouched. I cut it all off with a plasma torch. I did not scar up the frame. If anybody wants it, it is in Jackson Wyoming and it is free! Come and get it! :)

Cheers

Might. Cheaper though, doubt it. You can do the 80-60 swap for the cost of shop consumables and some steel.

As others have said, shorten frame 5", extend it in the back 5". Cut all body mounts off and make new ones. I wouldn't take that on unless you are confident in your welding skills.

If anybody is interested, I got an real nice rust free 80 frame here I prep'ed for this swap. All body mounts cut off the frame. I was going to do coilovers in front so I cut off the front suspension brackets too. Rest of the frame is untouched. I cut it all off with a plasma torch. I did not scar up the frame. If anybody wants it, it is in Jackson Wyoming and it is free! Come and get it! :)

Cheers

I was figuring in the cost of the donor 80. Even if you had one sitting around, the parts themselves hold a value....

Cheers
did you junk the front frame side spring buckets and shock towers?(please say no...)

did you junk the front frame side spring buckets and shock towers?(please say no...)

Sorry I did. I almost kept them, looked at them a few times before tossing into the recycling bin thinking somebody could use them but tossed them anyways. :(

It is still a great frame, rust free. Most of the lame work is done. It is ready for clean up and then fab away! :)

Cheers

I been hunting those brax for a year now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom