FJ60 Tire Question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.autohomeus.com
I am trying to keep a 'stock' look for my 87 FJ60, but I am swtiching to the H55F 5 speed running stock 3.73 open rearend. I would like to run a 31" tire and keep my stock chrome rims - 15 X 6, I think.

Anyone have any reccommendations for a good on-off highway tire that has the sidewalls to stand up to sustained driving on gravel roads and rocky, but not severe, trials? On highway handling, noise and wet traction are issues, too. I use my vehicles for Summer, Fall, and Winter driving in CA, NV, OR, ID.

Thanks for any help / advise -- Mike S

IMO, one of the best all-around tires out there is the BFG-AT. Very good snow and road, very acceptable light trail use. Definitely not a mud tire tho.

This is a very poor Spring tire tho, but since you only asked for Summer, Fall and Winter, it outta work great for you. <wink>

You might also check the BFG lineup for a slightly narrower 31" tire, like a 9.5. Will reduce rolling resistance and wind drag (slightly, but some). A slightly narrower tire is also a better option for most snow-type driving.

I run BFG-MT's in a 33x10.5 (metric-type 16 really) on my GMC and like them. D rated for medium towing as well.

[quote author=Mike S link=board=1;threadid=4476;start=msg33515#msg33515 date=1061401541]
Anyone have any reccommendations for a good on-off highway tire that has the sidewalls to stand up to sustained driving on gravel roads and rocky, but not severe, trials? On highway handling, noise and wet traction are issues, too. I use my vehicles for Summer, Fall, and Winter driving in CA, NV, OR, ID.
[/quote]

I am a big fan of the Dunlops:

http://tires2.digiknow.com/dunlop/display_tire.jsp?prodline=Rover+RT&mrktarea=Light+Truck

I have had excellent wear on all my dunlops. These things just keep going and going with amazing traction and sound like something you may wish to investigate if not wanting a full off-road tire; they're bulletproof. I will most likely go the mud rover route next time for more aggressive tread.

I ran both the Dunlop Rovers and the BFG A/T's on my fj62. On the highway, I prefered the Dunlop's. They were quieter and smoother. The A/T's were definitely king everwhere else though. I did alot more highway driving so I would probably choose the Dunlop's again. If you see at least 1/3 of your driving off road, I would take the A/T's. ;)

I keep with the BFG AT/KO recommendations. Great all around tire and they run nice and quiet on the highway as well. On the stock rims you could go as wide as 10.5 but you can't air down without risking popping off the bead. Stick with a 31 x 9.5 and you'll have a versatile tire w/o the risk.

I have pretty much decided to run 33X9.50X15 GR A/T KO's under the OME suspension on chrome stock rims. Hope they will fit without problems.

Mike S

Good choice. they will fit. I have 33 x 10.5 BFG AT/KO's under an 87 FJ60 with OME suspension (I switched to 8" rims). When it's almost fully articulated it just touches the front fender but, nothing a shackle reversal won't fix :D.. You might not have that problem with a 9.5, it's that close...

I am jealous of the H55F...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom