FJ60 SOA Shackle Reversal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.fastasset.com
I am currently in the process of building up "Wallace" - my 1986 FJ60. Decided to go SOA with a front shackle reversal. Stock spring packs were totally wrecked so I ordered new stock length springs from Alcan and I told them I was doing a shackle reversal. The shackle reversal kit we ordered is the same kit that Man-A-Fre sells. It is supposed to add 1.5" in the front and I figured I'd just order new shackles for the rear to compensate once everything else was complete. Wow. When the truck came off the lift the front end was about 11" over stock and the rear was only about 6 inches over stock. In order to get it out of the garage to make room for another truck we set the front end SUA and left the rear SOA. I took images of it in this SOA/SUA configuration yesterday.

We are wondering what exactly to do next. Bringing the rear up would make it way to high (the rear height looks good now.) We could leave the front SUA just like it sits. However neither of these idea is sitting too well with me. Any advice would be appreciated. I did a search and found some info. about de-arching springs but was not sure how it applies to this situation where the front is so much higher than the rear. Can someone else who has done a SOA/shackle-reversal chime in please?

OK, I did some more research since I first posted. I have checked the spring measurements and the weight rating with Alcan and they are correct. There is no way they are going to relax enough (4 inches at least) to make the truck sit level. The shackle reversal kit is a Man-A-Fre 4+Plus kit and it is installed correctly. The springs are taking the load and the shackles are sitting just beyond 90 degrees when the truck is on the ground. The shackles are not too tight, they move as they should.

I think the issue is that the Man-A-Fre kit gives a lot more than the 1.5" inches of height that they advertise when it is SOA form - something more like 5".

Anyone else ever go SOA with stock springs using a Man-A-Fre shackle reversal kit on a 60/62 and get approx. 11" of total lift in the front?

Well, first off nice rig. If in fact you did the front correctly, and I guess that you did, I think the only route is going to be to get some lift springs in the rear end. I did spoa with OLD MAN EMU DELUXE KIT HEAVY LOAD 60 SERIES so it lifted my rig some 4+" on top of the spoa. Im running 37" MTR's so I dont care. You should be able to match the front with more lifted rear springs. In not return the shackle reverse kit.

TB

Can't tell from your post.. Did you only put new springs on the front?

I run SUA with OME's not SOA but.. The lift I saw from the "2.5-3 inch lift" of the OME's over the old saggy stock spring packs was about 5 inches in the front and 8 in the rear. If you left old springs in the rear, could that be all the difference against the new spring packs in the front? Hard to see in the photo but looks a little flat in the rear springs.. my 2 cents leaves me overdrawn..

[quote author=Godhead link=board=29;threadid=17285;start=msg167586#msg167586 date=1086139702]
Can't tell from your post.. Did you only put new springs on the front?

I run SUA with OME's not SOA but.. The lift I saw from the "2.5-3 inch lift" of the OME's over the old saggy stock spring packs was about 5 inches in the front and 8 in the rear. If you left old springs in the rear, could that be all the difference against the new spring packs in the front? Hard to see in the photo but looks a little flat in the rear springs.. my 2 cents leaves me overdrawn..
[/quote]

I put new Alcans all around. All ordered to stock length. I think that we are going to remove the current shackle reversal kit and fab our own.

RDog

The MAF SR provides way more than advertised. Generally these are used for SR associated with SUA set-ups, since the spring can be leveled with longer shackles on the pivoting spring end.

Generally, the best method is to swap hangers to complete the SR on a SOA set-up, etc. Personally, JMO, but the MAF units are great for catching all rocks on the trail & make awesome doorstops!

Don't forget about resetting the factory castor angles with a cut / turn of the front axle......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom