FJ60 Power Steering Conversion for FJ40 while keeping air pump (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The fun part is trying to use all Toyota stuff - but you're right it would probably be better to have a custom one made. Oh well.

I agree! It would be fun to do it all with Toyota pieces...

I am just not sure how to put 60 knuckles and steering arms on my 55 axle housing and use Toyota tie rod?

Unless a 70 series tie rod would work? Can anyone comment on this?

Wes, can you measure your tie rod?

Offbeat question: does anyone know the diameter/spline count on a 60 box (or 55 shaft)? I've been told they are 3/4" x 36, but the non-metric size makes me suspicious that my information may be incorrect....

Offbeat question: does anyone know the diameter/spline count on a 60 box (or 55 shaft)? I've been told they are 3/4" x 36, but the non-metric size makes me suspicious that my information may be incorrect....

I am not sure.

The good news is that the shaft size and spline counts are the same btwn 60 and 55...

I was able to mix and match 60 and 55 components in my column.

TJ, I bet a later 40 tie rod will work ;)

this thread talks about axle widths of a couple different models, though the link at the bottom that Wes posted is dead.

"60/2 Series axles are 70mm wider than 40 series

70 Series axles are 20mm wider than 40 series"

I will count the splines on the 55 shaft next time I run home.

Last edited:
TJ, I bet a later 40 tie rod will work ;)

this thread talks about axle widths of a couple different models, though the link at the bottom that Wes posted is dead.

"60/2 Series axles are 70mm wider than 40 series

70 Series axles are 20mm wider than 40 series"

I will count the splines on the 55 shaft next time I run home.

You are good Matt - talk about me overlooking the obvious!!!

Don't worry TJ, I was having trouble with the same thing (because eventually I would like to do the 60 series knuckles/Aisin hubs as well) until I got to thinking about what belaw was saying in this post:

Fascinating thread. As I understand it, the issue you're trying to tackle is finding a relay rod of the correct length with ends that will fit the 60 pitman arm on one end and the stock 40 tie rod on the other; the problem you're wrestling with is that the 60 pitman arm has a large taper, while "hole B" (where the relay rod joints the PS tie rod end) has a small taper, so you're having to "mix and match" TRE's- right?

Front Range will make a custom rod for $60, so that part's easy once you figure out the length.

But what if you have a late-model 40 with large pattern steering arms. Would "hole B" have the same larger taper as the TRE's? If so, if you have large-patter knuckles, could you just use stock 70 TRE's and relay rod ends on a shortened/custom relay rod????

I think the later 40 tie rod will work.

Last edited:
Maybe. I don't know. But I don't suppose it would be different enough to go beyond the limits of adjustability of the tie rod ends. Just a guess...

What year did Toyota start using the larger TRE's on 40's? (Kind of a backwards way of asking what year model 40 tie-rod would you use in this set-up?)

What year did Toyota start using the larger TRE's on 40's? (Kind of a backwards way of asking what year model 40 tie-rod would you use in this set-up?)

SOR site lists same p/n for TRE's for 1963-1984

I do not beleive this to be correct. Just wondering where we can nail down the change date...

The fun part is trying to use all Toyota stuff - but you're right it would probably be better to have a custom one made. Oh well

Here's my definitions for rods:
Relay Rod - on stock 40s only, from pitman arm forward to center arm
Drag Link - from 70/60 pitman arm to tie rod or from FJ40 center arm to tie rod
Tie Rod - Rod that connects steering arms of two wheels together

If you have a later model 40, I imagine the stock 70 series parts for the drag link will work.

For clarification, here is what I think I know about steering rods:
late 40/60/70 drag link - 19mm
late 40/60/70 tie rod - 21mm

mid 40 drag link and relay rod - 17mm
mid 40 tie rod - 19mm

FJ25/early 40 tie rod ends (the tie rod is 19mm I believe but it tapers down at the ends) - 17mm (I'm guessing)

This is why the mid 40 tie rod end will thread on the 60/70 drag link.

I would think that all the tapers (including B) got bigger on later years, but I don't know how you spec out a taper.

SOR site lists same p/n for TRE's for 1963-1984

I do not beleive this to be correct. Just wondering where we can nail down the change date...

I found this post from Kurt indicating that 60 TRE's are 23mm:

It will work on either the FJ40 or the FJ55 as they are identical lengths... however as you mentioned the mini-truck stuff is VERY close. Mini-trucks and FJ40/55 use the same thread on the tie-rod (21mm) while the FJ60 & FJ80 are quite a bit bigger (23mm), likewise the draglink on the FJ40 is 17mm & 21 mm on the FJ60/80. So you won't be able to use a mini-truck end and an FJ60 end on the same tube (unless it is custom made with different threads at each side). I'm not sure if all of the mini-truck stuff uses the 21mm tie rod & 17mm draglink stuff, and what years if so... but the LC stuff I should have nailed down by now? :D

I'm sure Kurt knows what he's talking about, but is there anything that's 19mm? I think that's what I surmised a while ago, but my memory could be fuzzy right now. And maybe SOR is right in that maybe all FJ40/55 stuff is the same, regardless of year? I just thought later FJ40 stuff had the larger knuckles, because that's also when 4x4 minitrucks started. Now I'm getting confused, I just need winter to be over so I can take my truck down and start and finish this project. I just need to buy a bracket and pump and then get it all measured up and welded together...

All FJ40 Tie Rod Ends are the same, this goes for the thread diameter/pitch as well as the taper size (which is smaller than the FJ60/mini/80). The steering arms did change with the larger knuckle pattern in 79' but the taper is the same as the earlier 40's. Hope this helps :D

I'll remeasure all the tie rod ends if I get a minute but I'm pretty sure Toyota never used 19mm originally. What about the replacement stuff from Toyota for an older FJ40? I seem to recall a new tie rod end coming with the tie rod as the diameter changed?

PS... a couple more things to consider.

1. RHD kits, a RHD FJ40 kit for example will have the same style of ends as the LHD kit, however the taper on the passenger side tie rod end will be reamed from the opposite side. Possibly beneficial? Similar deal with the RHD 60 kits.

2. The taper on the passenger side FJ40/55 kit is the "small" taper, but you can ream it out to use the FJ60/80 tie rod end. I've done this quite a bit for customers that are doing PS swaps.

Last edited:
No changes to report -

The 40 still uses stock 40 tie rod, with hybrid 40/60 relay rod

The 55 uses stock 40 (or 55) tie rod with shortened 60 relay rod...

I was hoping we could confirm or dispel the speculation that a Series 70 Relay Rod was the correct length.

Would you mind measuring the zerk-to-zerk length of your relay rod(s)? [EDIT: I just realized you posted this measurement (37 7/8") back in post 64] I'll post the same question in the 70 forum and we can compare the numbers.

Also, sorry if its already been answered, but what was involved in shortening the 60 relay rod on your Pig?

Last edited:
I've got good news/bad news on the Series 70 drag link.

I talked with 70sguy, a Mud vendor in Canada who specializes in 70's (and a nice guy, too). The zerk-to-zerk length of a Series 70 drag link is 38 1/8," just 1/4" longer than TJ's measurements, so it could easily fit. The bad news is that he would have to charge at least $50 for a used drag link, and shipping from Canada would almost double that cost. If you really want to go all Toyota, a 70 drag link will work, but it will be much cheaper to have Front Range make you a custom rod that's probably stronger.

As for me, the SBC sitting under my hood makes "all Toyota" linkage kind of pointless. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom