FJ60 Power Steering Conversion for FJ40 while keeping air pump (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. Just what I needed to figure this out. Now if the parts would just get here.
Vic
Redlands, CA.

It might be a little late for some of you but a LH side 70 series TRE would do the trick without having to shorten the relay rod.

It might be a little late for some of you but a LH side 70 series TRE would do the trick without having to shorten the relay rod.

That is awesome to know!

Do you know if US Toy dealers can order this? Do you have a good p/n?

Well, I have been talking about adding a PS cooler to keep the pump from barfing when it gets hot.

I also wanted to replace the stock 60 series high pressure hose with one that could be routed correctly in the engine compartment.

So I got a spare PS pump to rebuild and sourced a cooler. Then when went to see about getting a new high pressure PS hose made, I found it difficult to source custom made hose with metric fittings. Thanks to some posts by Mace, I found some adapters to adapt from metric to #6 JIC. I got two of those (one for the box, one for the pump) and away we went.

I like the resulting set up much better. The high pressure line is no longer running near the EGR and exhaust manifold. Now the low pressure side runs to the far side of the radiator to a cooler.

We will see how this does next time I am aired down and running tight turns in the sand!

First I rebuilt the pump using the FSM - nothing too tricky.

Just watch things when you tear the pump down. You don't want to loose the springs that ride on the slippers!
MVC-021F.JPG
MVC-023F.JPG
MVC-024F.JPG

No, but I'd like to know what the cooler, fittings, lines, rebuild kit, etc. cost you. My 42's pump leaks a decent amount, and I've got a spare in a box that I'm sure needs to be rebuilt. Might as well add a cooler while I'm at it. :)

Doesn't someone make a threaded tie rod insert that can be welded into the ends of a cut-to-length thread-less tie rod? Kept tight with a jam nut. I saw them somewhere in the last couple months... I think that would work great for you.

Yeah, the new-style cap is cheap and a very good thing. I've already got one of those, and it's helped keep the oil spray to a reasonable level. Guess I need to get ordering a rebuild kit, though. Thanks!

Doesn't someone make a threaded tie rod insert that can be welded into the ends of a cut-to-length thread-less tie rod? Kept tight with a jam nut. I saw them somewhere in the last couple months... I think that would work great for you.

Here is one better - custom made tie rod and relay rods for FJ60 ends - and they are local

Front Range Off-Road Fabrication

Yeah, I saw them too. FRORF web site. Here is what I was looking at :D

Last edited:
Issues with left hand thread TRE

I hit a snag with the power steering installation, I was following the instal done here by "Pablocruise" and contacted by PM to try to resolve.

But this is what I found. (PS this is for a 1979 RHD 40)

The standard 60s TRE that has the mount for the steering damper has a left hand thread, and the 40s TRE on the steering knuckle is also a left hand thread - so there would be no adjustability :doh:

This is a left hand thread
dscn0562_s.jpg

This side of the 40s relay rod is also Left hand thread.
Notice where the 60's and 40's relay rods were spliced and welded together
dscn0553_s.jpg

I resolved this by using the 60s opposite side TRE, but then I had to make up a bracket to clamp to the relay rod for the mounting of the RTC damper.
dscn0554_s.jpg

I had all new hoses made up for the power steering pump and box, because the old ones were a little bit too short. At present there is no cooler attached, this is because it is still being made up.
dscn0555_s.jpg
dscn0560-s.jpg

This is the extended intermediate shaft
dscn0557_s.jpg

The additional UJ that was installed at the end of the 40's steering column
dscn0559_s.jpg

The finished installation

dscn0552_s.jpg
dscn0561_s.jpg

For future reference, you could have used 70 series JDM parts. I had the reverse problem from what you had because I had jdm parts and was converting to LHD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom