FJ60 or 62 & which year is best? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you don't like the square headlights on the 62, swap in the front end parts from a 60.

The dead post lives on!!

In a non smog area, the 60 would be best. Where I live(land of smog nazis), the 62 is best.

89 62

I just bought a 84 FJ60 a couple months ago for 1500.00 and started a build thread on here. Today I stopped in at a guys house where I've seen a landcruiser parked for several years. Come to find out it is a 89 FJ62 with auto transmission that is bad. The battery is dead so it is in non running condition, but i'm sure with a battery and new gas it will start. The motor has 274K on it. Interior is kinda bad but ok few dents in body. The guy said in as is condition 1200.00. Is it worth it? I don't think so because of the killer deal I got on my 60. What does everyone else think. I guess it all depends on how bad you want it if it's worth it or not.

knock the one off and its a good deal.
mileage is high, they live a long time but even 300k is a pile for them.
bad tranny, not worth fixing without doing something with the engine first.
body not perfect, not worth fixing with the engine and tranny issues.

see where i'm going here?

response about the 89 pos

Personally I wouldn't pay more than 500.00 for this rig in it's as is condition because of my killer deal on my 60, but maybe that was just a fluke one time event that that deal comes around. Oh and another reason I think the 60's might be better than the 62's is the factory recall still honored as of today New gas tank and rear seat belts.:clap:

1987 FJ60 with a H55F 5 speed and all it's OEM Emission gear to go anywhere is the perfect machine...
Moab 2010 275.jpg

87 diesel landcruiser

I rode around in a 1987 5 speed turbo diesel landcruiser in New Zealand for a week a couple years ago. It was pretty baller. The one thing I didn't like was the fact that the tcase was 2high and 4high only, no low range. My NZ fishing trip is what got me interested in landcruisers.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than 500.00 for this rig in it's as is condition because of my killer deal on my 60, but maybe that was just a fluke one time event that that deal comes around. Oh and another reason I think the 60's might be better than the 62's is the factory recall still honored as of today New gas tank and rear seat belts.:clap:

I bought my FJ60 cruiser secondhand. Can I take advantage of the recall if I have title? If so, where would I go to find out more info about this? thanks.

Are y'all sure that all 62s had automatic transmissions? I'm pretty sure that we've got a FJ62 in the family with a manual tranny. It's been sitting parked for a number of years just waiting for someone to come around and claim it (that someone's gonna be me!), but I'm pretty sure that I remember it being a stick.

Yes - Call Toyota Assistance @ 1-800-331-4331. Have your vin number they will need it.

Toyota told me this week that they no longer have or manufacture the recalled gas tanks. The dealer was disappointed as it is a straight retail job for them.

Any advice?

Are y'all sure that all 62s had automatic transmissions? I'm pretty sure that we've got a FJ62 in the family with a manual tranny. It's been sitting parked for a number of years just waiting for someone to come around and claim it (that someone's gonna be me!), but I'm pretty sure that I remember it being a stick.

only if some one put a manual in it.
the were never offfered here(in the states) with a manual.
the gear selector sticks up pretty high, like a shift stick would.

What to pay for 84 fj60

So I've found an 84 fj60, in very good condition. Interior has been completely restored, exterior is in great shape...no rust, no dents, dings, etc. Brand new Mickey Thompson 33's (4 months old). 164,500 miles on it. Seller is asking $7900...I am completely ignorant when it comes to the value on these things, this will be my first LC Purchase. I am wanting this vehicle to be my daily driver (I drive 5 miles roundtrip to work everyday), as well as a vehicle to take the family camping, hunting, etc. Please advise if you think this is a good deal or not.

Thanks!

Sounds really expensive. Other rigs can be found a lot cheaper and can be upgraded to the description of what you are describing for much less.

drp1461...BUY IT, NOW! FJ60's in that condition (good/very good) are few and far between. Cruisers with a 25+ year history with a pristine history of maintenance demand a premium unless you want a "beater" with lots of $$$ in repairs and restoration.

I am glad I came across this thread to get some different points of view on the age old question 60 or 62. I had originally started looking for a first gen 4Runner and had no luck finding something which was "as described" and got a little discouraged with what was available, so then looked at second gen 4Runners and in my search came across the Land Cruisers and was smitten. I really liked the 40's but needed space and the 60 and 80's were the ticket. I just need to decide which 60 series I want. I personally am leaning towards the 62 with a 5spd diesel, my wife thinks the 80's are nicer but the 60's have that outlander, expedition look to them. Here in the US diesels are a hard one to find, so I am looking north and think I have a work around for getting one into the US. Anyway, love the IH8MUD site and them members are awesome and well informed.

The belts recall is for rear lap belts on MY81-88 6x series. MY89-later 6x series have rear shoulder belts, completely different animal.

The gas tank recall is for all 6x series, MY81-90, up through chassis #FJ62G-1121649. I think this is every USA spec 6x series.

Just spoke to a guy here in the Twin Cities and he has a 90 FJ62 with 158000 miles on it with a leaky gas tank. Wants 2K, but is flexible on price, sounds like he is an Aussie/Kiwi who has to go home. Is the gas tank recall still being run? Previous post said that they had stopped.

Truck has little rust on it but haven't seen it. Worth it? BTW, I am 6'9" and wonder if I'll even fit in the darn thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom