FJ60+62+(Z)80+ v8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are your coilover towers done already?

Great job on the frame. You're making it look easy.

What's your plan for the frame mounts - using rectangular tube like Manu?

Yup, need to get the steel. Trip to Idaho next week for that since I can't get much locally. need some for a truss on a rear axle I am making too, another project.

Cheers

I would wait till you have the weight of the vehicle before burning those in... Keeping the radius arms?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
This evenings welding results = done with the splice and plates. Although I need to flip it over soon and do the top seam.

image.jpg

Here is a stock RLCA next to a 7075 2" link I have from another project. The 2" link was a front, haha the 80's sure have short RLCA! It also has Johnny Joints but they are a touch to wide. I think I am going to have the 7075 link machined down to suit an 80, I already have the tap to re-thread them. I will have to buy new JJ but that is no biggie.

Cheers

Got the steel I needed for making body mounts last Friday. Got the 7075 links being shortened and tapped this week. Putting the rear axle under it before burning on the RLCA mounts for good. Party on!

Cheers

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Was messing around for a few hours trying to decide the best way to plot the RLCA mounts and put them back on the frame. Then I said to myself, wtf just put the rear axle under it, center it up and go for it. So I did and it was very easy. :)

Cheers

I think I may put the front axle under it this weekend. I been going around and around on c/o's for the front or coil springs. This is mostly because I hate the friggin' grinder and to do coil springs I need to cut the mounts off the untouched FJ80 frame. I done it before and it is a pita and a lot of work. Thing is, I got everything right here right now to put the axle under it, I just got to spend a bunch of time on the grinder. I checked with Toyota a while back and I could still get the coil bucket and shock mount from them but at near $500 for the pair it is not worth it to me. I also wanted to use c/o's because I have the RS towers already but using them will require notching the tower for the steering column as well as cleaning the coil bucket off the axle side. That is a lot of grinder work too! So to keep this going and to get the axle under my new FZJ80 chassis I think I am just going to get some beers and go to town on the Metabo!

Cheers

Looking good so far!

How's the fire treating you guys up in Jackson? We had to cancel appts in Pinedale because the Dr couldn't make it. Hoback looks rough.

J

It is smoky up here. Blows out usually in the afternoon though. It is Bonderant that is in trouble, no issues up here yet besides smoke.

Cheers

I went for it and cut the coil buckets and shock towers off the FJ80 frame. It is not fun at all! Hahaha, it is done though so looks like I am scrapping c/o's and the RS towers. No worries though because I can literally put the front axle under it today! I just am procrastinating because first I got a bunch more grinder work as well as plasma out some plates for the frame, weld those on, ect ect. I am somewhat planning to have the front axle under by this evening, I really want to see this 108" wheelbase FZJ80 chassis on 4 wheels! :)

Cheers

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

chassis58.JPG

chassis63.JPG

Well, here is one 108" wheelbase FZJ80 chassis all built and ready for body mounts! Pretty stoked and it came out nice. Got to extend rear frame rails 6" but that is minor compared to what I just finished.

Cheers

Last edited:
Is 6 inches what is needed in the rear? I'm wanting to run a stock fj60 bumper on my build.

Is 6 inches what is needed in the rear? I'm wanting to run a stock fj60 bumper on my build.

I am not planning on a stock rear bumper so not going to comment. Wouldn't want to give ya bad info.

Got the 2" 7075 links back, holy crap these are kick ass RLCAs!! :)

Cheers

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ya, that just happened. :)

Initial set up and removal of FJ62 frame. Bit more set up tomorrow and I should be ready to roll the FJZ80 chassis under it.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom