Fj40 Trail Covers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great top. Nice work.. troll hole oem rollbar cover fit the metaltech Jackson rollcage

Just following up on the cover I paid for on the 5/1....any idea when the black full family cage cover will ship.

Crickets.....
Paid on May 1, please let me know an eta on the cover(s)

Anyone know where Marshall went?

Need to cover 40 when have Bikini Top On.
I Have 1979 FJ40 , w/Metal Tech Full Cage.
Rear Section est. 9 inchs Lower than front (Main) Cage.
It’s also 4-5 inchs space inside rear.
Do covers come in different Cuts ?
Or do I need to ADD Rear Top Support ? (Frame work)

Read the first page. I have a design for the metal tech cage already. Just pick the color and one of the three styles which for you would be the family cage model. Then send me an invoice. I just got back from vacation so have a backlog of orders to get filled.

image-jpg.890423

Have you got any pics of the roll bar version? Thanks.

I didn't see any towing experiences reviews after the questions were asked on page 1, so here's mine...

I ordered my top in May or June of last year, for the main purpose of having a cover while towing. Marshall said it wasn't designed for towing and he wasn't sure how it would do. So I gave it a shot. In July I made a trip 5 hrs one way, all 55+ mph roads. The first 5 hr leg was fine except for massive ballooning of the top. Half way through the return 5 hrs I noticed that the material was tearing away at the 2 rear grommets, as well as the 2 mid grommets. By time I got home the stitching at the back upper corners had come completely undone to where I was left with ~8" long vents. I took the top to a local sail shop where I had them remove all of the grommets and reinforce the locations with heavier nylon webbing on both sides, then reset with new heavier grommets. I'm also now dealing with the binding completely fraying apart between the forward and middle grommets on both sides.

Now to combat the ballooning, I have to use ratchet straps over the front and rear cargo area. Also I've found that only all rubber type bungees work, because the fabric coated ones stretch too much and eventually fail from the constant shortening and lengthening from the top flapping at highway speeds. Overall I really like the top, but it's not strong enough for longer towing trips without more time and money on the buyers end to reinforce it.

I'm considering now getting a new one to start with a clean slate for reinforcing it.

Good to know. Yeah ballooning was my biggest fear. There are so many configurations it would be impossible to get it to strap right. I don't know how to design it in the back with a ratchet strap. I think a heavier material would be needed as well. Plus I think it will eat the paint to a certain extent.

Do you have any factory roll bar models in stock?

I'd like one in drab green please. It is pissing rain here in Southern California, and I need to be able to drive my rig to work and park it on the pier. Please let me know how to order, pay, etc. I'd really like to get one as soon as I can. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom