1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FJ40 parking brake assembly

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Maintz, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Maintz

Maintz

The parking brake components (shoes, springs, etc.) on my '70 FJ40 have been gutted, but it appears the backing plate & drum are oriiginal and in good shape. I plan to restore the parking brake assembly, but before I invest in a CCOT kit, cable (already found the in-cab handle), etc., is there anything I should look at that the PO may have done that would spoil my efforts?? This is a V*/Auto conversion, and the rear driveshaft has certainly been shortened.

Thanks for any assistance!! Maintz

2. thwhite

thwhite

I rebuilt mine on my v8 conversion and it works just fine. I have a drum from a 4spd if you need it. I changed to a 5 spd, different splines. It holds fine and is setup just like a normal drum brake.

3. rocrawler

rocrawler

Be sure you check the lenth of the cable. Mine with a V8 and a SM 420 just barely reachs.

4. gpierce

gpierce

[flash=200,200]URL[/flash] :D
    Please explain a little more and if possible send a picture I have changed from 4 speed to 5 speed and my park is obsolete. I have to switch offf engine to park it.