FJ40 in the works (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking to buy my first 40. I have a '65 found, but the F motor and older year model scares me a bit. I plan to keep the cruiser stock and replace (if possible) the aftermarket parts that have been added with Oem. I guess my questions are these: is the older <'75 or newer trucks better/easier to source parts for? Are parts more or less expensive for the older ones? Would I be better off waiting for a late model?
The vehicle I have found is a '65 with the ribbed top, very little rust, runs well, mostly stock truck.
Also, what should a guy expect to pay? Is $10-15 realistic? Or what? Thanks in advance, can't wait to get another cruiser in the fleet!

This cruiser is in Mississippi. I want a weekend driver, stock 40. Will paint and look for original wheels / other items that have been changed from stock.

we would need pictures to give you an price estimate. That being said - does the 65 still have a 3 speed on the column? How does it shift? If you are looking for comfortable then maybe the 65 isn't for you. Double clutching, bouncy bench seats, lap belts, drum/non boosted brakes - there are lots of cool things about the old ones too. Driving it on the weekends - how far? Highway? Just parking it when you get there or going off road? These are all the things you need to consider.

Price depends on shape...can't help you there without pictures.
Typically the older models have better metal with less rust issues, but being in the deep south, that may be a wash. If its diamond plated in the rear corners, really check it out...typically covers rust. Parts shouldn't be too bad...lots of vendors and shopping around can get you good prices. There are some harder to find parts, but they can be sourced.

Still on the faq's trying to figure out how to post pics. No diamond plate, probably 5 places with rust (windshield vent, front fenders above the braces, back door, and under the gas fill) rust isn't to deep, did some pushing and prodding-seems pretty solid.
Drives ok (good for a 50 yr old vehicle) the clutch is a bear, as it doesn't engage until the top of the pedal release (if that makes sense). All knobs are there and everything functions except wipers. Rattle can paint job, but I like that everything functions as it should.
Bck to figuring out how to post pics.....

'Attach File' allows you to post pictures. You should have plenty of posts to be allowed to. Sounds like a nice rig. Keeping it stock would be cool. I would replace the single circuit master with a dual circuit unboosted master at a minimum. Or completely upgrade the brakes to boosted discs.

Take good care of the F motor. F pistons are NLA. 2F motors are a simple bolt in if it comes to that.

Thanks for the advice / info. The F has lost the oil bath system and has a different carb.
Still won't let me attach files. Tried to start an album, just attach, not sure what else to try.

I upload my pics from Dropbox, but from time to time I forget there's a limit on the size of the file (megabytes) and have to go back and resize them etc, etc ...

sounds like there's something to work with there ... love the older trucks ... and, nice plan to keep it original ... its a survivor and deserves that respect, in my opinion ... wouldn't bother me about the drum brakes, or column shift ... pretty special ... f engine parts seem to be a bit of an issue, but, as some one said a 2f is an option, and a decent compromise from the keep it original strategy, if necessary ... 40s are an expensive hobby (time/money) at the best of times, and the older they the more expensive it is, but what a rush driving one and the thumbs up from passers by, people asking questions at gas stations, etc, etc ... good luck with your decision ...

I've had the same problem attaching pictures. From what I read, you either have to buy a star. Or have 250 posts. Am I right on this?

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks for the input. I'll keep posting, maybe buy a star.

I really like the fact that everything works. Some tlc and an little body work are all this one needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom